Wu-Tang to release only ONE COPY of secret new album

if my gambling site took bets on leaks i would bet a couple hundred dollars this leaks BEFORE a rich dude buys it.

Last edited:
This is a great idea! smart ass hell. They will sell one copy and make all their money off of it. And it will get on the internet at some point. and we will the get the album. They will make a ton off of publishing and press. Rza is that dude

I love it. This strategy has pretty much exposed hiphop fans and music fans in general for what they really are---a bunch of whiners with entitlement issues who wouldn't have bought the album in the first place, or even cared that Wu was coming out with new music.
Lets be real about this...the WuTang Clan want the money. Didn't y'all niggas learn anything from C.R.E.A.M.? If there is any loser, it would be the buyer/owner if he tries to sell the music, because, for real, half the fans will torrent it, the other half will wait 'til its uploaded to Youtube. Hiphop fans don't buy music.

Ok, so as the only buyer - I'm expecting to pay a lot of money for the privilege of having the ONLY copy of this album..... When it leaks and the world gets it for free, do I get my money back?

Ok, so as the only buyer - I'm expecting to pay a lot of money for the privilege of having the ONLY copy of this album..... When it leaks and the world gets it for free, do I get my money back?

I think this calls for seeing the only physical copy combined with the audio as the work of art. If it leaks I would see it relating to having an unforeseen Picasso hanging on your living room wall and somebody taking a picture and selling posters of the picture. The work of art that the artist made is the physical copy that embodies the artistic intention and therefore the digital leak would be something lesser.

And the leak might in a good case just result in the value of the piece of art you own climbing up, this would probably depend on how good the album is. And even if it was leaked and seeing it only as a physical copy of a recording in a digital era, it would be a holy grail ultra rare physical piece of recorded audio history for any record collector with tons of value and plenty of people wanting to own it.

Last edited:
It seems like they just want to make a quick flip to me. Invest some production time and make a quick couple G. If this is the case, that shit is sad. LOL

^^^ So that's what I might want, as a buyer. Increase the value of my investment. I get that. But is that what the Wu have in mind? They said it themselves - if it leaks, this plan fails.

If their intention is to truly keep the actual music in one person's possession, then I'd want some reinforcement that I'm that one person.

[h=1]Wu-Tang Clan Offered $5 Million for One-Of-a-Kind Album, Says RZA[/h]
By Jem Aswad, New York | April 02, 2014 12:19 PM EDT

rza-box-slpit-billboard-650.jpg

Rza
WireImage/Getty Images (l)

Wu-Tang Clan turned the concept of artist compensation on its ear last week with the announcement that they'll be manufacturing just one unique copy of their forthcoming LP, "The Wu — Once Upon a Time in Shaolin," and then auctioning it off for a price they expect to reach into the millions.
The group's RZA, who masterminded the project with producer/Wu-Tang extended family member Tarik "Cilvaringz" Azzougarh, told Billboard that their goal got closer to reality this week.
"Offers came in at $2 million, somebody offered $5 million yesterday," he said via phone from Los Angeles Tuesday, during a break from promotion work on "Brick Mansions," his forthcoming film with the late Paul Walker, and "Gang Related," his Fox show launching next month. "I've been getting a lot of emails: some from people I know, some from people I don't know, and they're also emailing other members of my organization.
"So far, $5 million is the biggest number," he continued. "I don't know how to measure it, but it gives us an idea that what we're doing is being understood by some. And there are some good peers of mine also, who are very high-ranking in the film business and the music business, sending me a lot of good will. It's been real positive."
[h=3]Related Articles[/h]

The 31-track album, which was recorded in secret over the past few years and produced by Cilvaringz "under the tutelage" of the RZA, was announced a week ago today. It will be housed in a hand carved nickel-silver box designed by British-Moroccan artist Yahya.
In a manifesto on the project's website, the goal is to make a statement about music as a work of art in the ongoing debate over creators' compensation in the context of the digital revolution. "The intrinsic value of music has been reduced to zero," it reads. "Contemporary art is worth millions by virtue of its exclusivity. This album is a piece of contemporary art."
"The main theme is music being accepted and respected as art and being treated as such," RZA told Billboard. "If something is rare, it's rare. You cannot get another."
While the site's claim that "This is the first high-profile album never to be commercially released to the public and the first of its kind in the history of music" is not entirely accurate — one-off releases from Radiohead and Jean-Michel Jarre, among others, have been created and sold — the project is unquestionably an interesting twist in the music industry's ongoing dilemma over artist compensation.
See this week's Billboard for more from our interview with RZA, including his views on art, collecting, ownership, and the rights of the ultimate owner of Once Upon a Time in Shaolin.

Questions? Comments? Let us know: @billboard

Print

[h=3]Tagged[/h]

I'm guessing that this will be sold to a "secret buyer" *cough* Universal Music Group *cough* and released through normal distribution channels on a subsidiary label like Republic or Island Def Jam.

INNOVATION and Out-the-box thinking applies to not only the creative side but the business side as well in this current era.
Instead of following, create your own rules and execute.

That one track they leaked is kinda hot! I couldn't pay $5M for that shyt tho. I wonder if the samples are cleared. Who will hear it to sue?

A track leaked already? See, IMO, that devalues this experiment. All or none, I say. If their plan actually works, it will mean we never get to hear this album. If anyone DLs a leaked copy, the plan fails!

Someone still needs to convince me on the logic of this concept. I get a hard copy of it (for $5mil), but the world still gets to hear the same music that's on it anyway (for free)? This would have worked better in an era before Internet. Is this just a collector's item? Then why not release ONE of these boxes, and still make the album available to the public so you don't look like a fool trying to protect it from leaking that has apparently already happened?

It's because they want the actual music to be bought by one, heard by one. There is NO WAY that's gonna happen today.

Last edited:
A track leaked already? See, IMO, that devalues this experiment. All or none, I say. If their plan actually works, it will mean we never get to hear this album. If anyone DLs a leaked copy, the plan fails!

Someone still needs to convince me on the logic of this concept. I get a hard copy of it (for $5mil), but the world still gets to hear the same music that's on it anyway (for free)? This would have worked better in an era before Internet. Is this just a collector's item? Then why not release ONE of these boxes, and still make the album available to the public so you don't look like a fool trying to protect it from leaking that has apparently already happened?

It's because they want the actual music to be bought by one, heard by one. There is NO WAY that's gonna happen today.

Just clicking like on this post doesn't even come close to expressing how much I agree with this comment.

The fact that a single track already leaked makes the entire concept lose it's value, even if it comes with exclusive rights to reproduce and sell it, the world already owns it so why bother paying at this point.

Maybe that's not on the album, but an example of what the album will sound like? I assumed it was the promo track to get buyers interested. Guess "leaked" wasn't the best word to use. "Promotional material" should have been what I called it.

Last edited:
INNOVATION and Out-the-box thinking applies to not only the creative side but the business side as well in this current era.
Instead of following, create your own rules and execute.

This is realler than ever right now. @Legal, you have any intel on the real word on Island Def Jam and Bad Boy closing down for good? I could probably just google, lol.

This is realler than ever right now. @Legal, you have any intel on the real word on Island Def Jam and Bad Boy closing down for good? I could probably just google, lol.

Bad Boy as a "functioning" record label is a wrap but the brand lives on (until/unless Diddy gets Revolt really crackin). Island and Def Jam are once again standing on their own two legs as they were before they merged together. Now that Def Jam is on its own I wouldn't be surprised if its days are numbered and is eventually is scrapped a la Jive. If and when that does occur that will officially mark the end of an era...

Last edited:
Back