Why Hate?

SFTRAXX

West Coast Rap Producer
I just wanted to address something that I've seen a lot on this site....

Especially in the section.

It seems like every time I come here there is a new thread posted in this section bashing someone or something.

My question is why?

For those of you that feel like you gotta bash someone ask yourself:

Was I wronged so bad in life that I can't just sit back and enjoy others accomplishments and / or music?

:4theloveofgod:

Seriously, are we [as music makers] so critical of others that the first thing we feel compelled to do is blast on other cats who reach their goals?

I mean, even if it ain't your style or whatever, if you truly love music you should still be able to appreciate it.

Right?

Or am I wrong....

Tell me......why all the hate?

I think people label a lot of opinion as "hate" because they disagree with the other persons opinion and don't understand how opinion and or debate work properly.

When it comes to other artists' music, I've always tried to say "I don't like..." rather than something "sucks". Always remember how subjective art appeal is to each person. That's why there's such a (relatively) wide variety that is made popular. You might not like Drake, but it's clear a ton of other people do. Can't tell someone their own desires or mere opinions are "wrong".

Like Nightshade said, reasonable debate is one thing. But sometimes - and especially online - it gets skewed by hardliners, bull*****ers, and name-callers. Not to mention, jealousy. I think when I first started out years ago, there was a time I thought what I was doing was right, and what every popular artist was doing was wrong. Why did they have such success? I couldn't figure it out. But I believe and hope most musicians outgrow that after a while. You face the fact that the popular ones had something that made them popular, or they got a lucky break, or they worked harder, and you say "good for them", and keep rolling with your own.

Last edited:
Its easier to focus on what we don't like in others than to address what we don't like about ourselves, especially in hiphop.

I think people label a lot of opinion as "hate" because they disagree with the other persons opinion and don't understand how opinion and or debate work properly.

THIS! OP, what do you want everyone to do?

New Thread: Man, I sure love YGs new album, hes the best!
Next Thread: Lil Wayne is the greatest rapper of all time!
Next Thread: Hip hop is the best! I love hip hop!

So you want a giant, virtual, circle jerk!

If someone doesn't like an artist/music/style, so be it. Let them express their opinion and you can have some sort of debate on here.

OP, what do you want everyone to do?

Think before you post. (not you personally, just thread posters in general)

Ask yourself: ( again: not you personally, just thread posters in general) Does this thread push somebody up or bring them down?

Also, let me add this: I am fully supportive of people sharing their opinions and I understand that not everyone is going to share the same feelings about things but there's always a way to voice your opinions while keeping your approach constructive vs just attacking / bashing others.

Think before you post. (not you personally, just thread posters in general)

Ask yourself: ( again: not you personally, just thread posters in general) Does this thread push somebody up or bring them down?

Also, let me add this: I am fully supportive of people sharing their opinions and I understand that not everyone is going to share the same feelings about things but there's always a way to voice your opinions while keeping your approach constructive vs just attacking / bashing others.

Admittedly I am guilty of this as much as anyone here, I state my opinion boldly and with no apology for it which comes off as angry or "hating".
So when I say something like "I hate Lil Wayne" I mean it as I have zero appreciation for his music and what he is doing as far as his influence in the direction of rap music as a whole. I don't even know the guy, but I know what sound appeals to me and when it doesn't sometimes the easiest phrase to blurt out is "I hate..."

Agree.

I don't believe anyone on this forum really "hates" anybody or a certain style of music. They just dislike it or disagree with it. It just so happens that "hate" is sometimes the word used to describe their opinion.

There is opinion...and then there's hate. Often, people confuse the two. As producers and/or artists, we have to develop a thick skin.

yep, and most of it comes from folks who don't like being disagreed with or penalised for doing the wrong thing - nightshade knows what I'm talking about here (referring to a 3rd party who was quite vicious earlier in the day)

Last edited:
Back