Why do people call J. Cole Boring ?

TazzyOnline

Producer/Lyricist
Im a big fan of J. Cole and Kendrick.

I feel like they both talk on the same subjects most of the time the flows are just different.

Its like 2 artist painting the same picture with the same emotions but they both do something more special with the concept of the picture than the other < im rubbish at examples so run with me here.:o

I dig the latter more than the former as J does what he does but I like his verse on

Doesn't mean I'm a fan of dude as he's hit or miss with me like plenty artists today just as it was in the past with me.

Last edited:
He get's terrible features, and his lyrics are just there, nothing stands out with him.

J. Cole is light-skinned so of course dudes are hating. He needs to make more songs for the ladies. That is where the fame and fortune are.

^^^LOL.

I don't think "boring" is ever the word that comes to mind when I think of J. Cole. I think he's an interesting lyricist who should've impressed me by now, but really hasn't. Dopest song i ever heard from him was "Who Dat", and I thought every song he did after that was gonna be doper because he needed polishing. To this day, I hear "another guy" when i bump that song. I'm from NC, this is what we do, I knew he had it. "Troubles" was cool too, but nothing that wowed me. Who Dat is the closest, it made me make the mean smurk and nod my head.

Last edited:
It's not that he's boring, it's that he's signed to Jay Z and Jay is not going to market him to be seen as bigger than Jay lol.

Kendrick and Cole are literally the same rapper, if he were to be signed to Interscope they would push and position him properly.

On another note, this is not just with Cole... all RocNation artists are going through this... they are extensions of Jay Z and being
position to take over indie markets as oppose to the large commercial one.

^ so true, sad they have to resort to taking shares from the indie market. Times are tough for rappers. So many rappers you don't know on IndyMixtape's got label backing, even though it doesn't look like it. It's all about DIY nowadays imo and shunning that label shit. Who wants to be manipulated and used for ulterior motives? Not me.

I wouldn't say he's boring, but he's definetly not one of the ''greatest'' artists. If you ask me, artist doesn't only need lyrics, a good beat and a voice. Artist needs charisma and many more. He just doesn't have it imo

I personally think J Cole acts too hard when he raps. He aint ghetto or a tough guy in reality i think.

Last edited:
I think J cole is a good rapper. Most of his tracks have a real message behind them, wrapped up in a cool flow and dope metaphors n similies. His music promotes positivity and confidence of self. Alot of his tracks and music videos show certain Scenarios which make people think deep.

And if people think Kendrick and Cole rap about similar subjects in a different way, thats cool. I know I like the subjects that they rap about and I dont mind hearing them described from 5 different angles.

If you think thats boring, thats cool, everyones entitled to their opinion.

Last edited:
I guess its because he sounds the same on every track, you now, the beats, the flow, the topics.

I listened to Born Sinner today though, that album was harder than most other recently. He talked about real stuff going on in the world, be it in the spotlight or behind the scenes, he spit some true ish.

Still can't believe why no one speaks of it.

J. Cole is Ambien rap...This nigga got 0 personality, 0 content, the only thing about him is he's a competent emcee from a technical standpoint, but I can't recall a single quotable from him, and I've heard several of his joints.

Have u got an example? cause if you go off the rappers he's influenced by it kinds of shows where he got that type of aggression in his flows from

I guess its because he sounds the same on every track, you now, the beats, the flow, the topics.

I listened to Born Sinner today though, that album was harder than most other recently. He talked about real stuff going on in the world, be it in the spotlight or behind the scenes, he spit some true ish.

Still can't believe why no one speaks of it.

Yea when I put The Sideline Story next to Born Sinner I see a big difference. I think he just needed time to get his craft right. The beats I can understand he produces a lot of his tracks himself and I think it was hard for him to bring something different.

That's exactly how I feel. When it comes to videos I feel like Cole still hasn't made a real creative one but at the same time I respect him for bringing out them videos he did 5 years+ ago, I guess it kind of goes with the brand of "keeping It real"

I think J cole is a good rapper. Most of his tracks have a real message behind them, wrapped up in a cool flow and dope metaphors n similies. His music promotes positivity and confidence of self. Alot of his tracks and music videos show certain Scenarios which make people think deep.

And if people think Kendrick and Cole rap about similar subjects in a different way, thats cool. I know I like the subjects that they rap about and I dont mind hearing them described from 5 different angles.

If you think thats boring, thats cool, everyones entitled to their opinion.

That's exactly how I feel. When it comes to videos I feel like Cole still hasn't made a real creative one but at the same time I respect him for bringing out them videos he did 5 years+ ago, I guess it kind of goes with the brand of "keeping It real"

^ so true, sad they have to resort to taking shares from the indie market. Times are tough for rappers. So many rappers you don't know on IndyMixtape's got label backing, even though it doesn't look like it. It's all about DIY nowadays imo and shunning that label shit. Who wants to be manipulated and used for ulterior motives? Not me.

Yea RocNation ****ed up... they recently dropped that chick Bridget Kelly too,
Jay Electronica, Rita Ora and J. Cole should've been pushed to be big stars.

It seems like Cash Money has been the only artist owned label that has successfully
pushed artists to be just as big (and even bigger) than Wayne... Nicki and Drake
were pushed properly.

The grassroot approach is great but in this day in age, if you wait too long people
will not really give a ****.

Yea RocNation ****ed up... they recently dropped that chick Bridget Kelly too,
Jay Electronica, Rita Ora and J. Cole should've been pushed to be big stars.

It seems like Cash Money has been the only artist owned label that has successfully
pushed artists to be just as big (and even bigger) than Wayne... Nicki and Drake
were pushed properly.

The grassroot approach is great but in this day in age, if you wait too long people
will not really give a ****.

At the same time I don't feel like Jay Z needed to push cole as much. To me TDE don't provide Kendrick with great deal of promotion but Kendricks fan base seems to push Kendrick and the buzz is there. everyone catches on (bloggers, mags etc). With Drake its kind of different, even thought he had YMCMB I've always seen drake as separate. For example he never mentioned YMCMB as much as the other did, when they did tours drake was off doing his own thing. he already had Octobers very own. now hes got his own label going a nice line up and they all about to drop in 2015.

I Think In Today's Generation If Your Not Pushing Ignorance Lyricism People Aren't Gonna Show You Respect. The Game Is Messed Up Due To Rappers Like Riff Raff. That's Why Jay Z Dropped Ignorant *hit. Because People Can't Interpret Intricate Lyrics From Artists Like Kendrick , Cole, Gambino, Soul, Pusha , Wale. They Belong On The Air. There The Type Of Guy Who Should Rule The Game. Including Drake. Nobody Is Saying Nothing On The Radio Or Just In General. These Guys Have A Grasp On Real Music. And Before I End This. Kanye Is King. Singers Like Jhene,Grande,Frank,Lykke Are The Real Deal.

Back