Why aren't YOU making your own records?

First off, music supervisors have "tiers" of music that they use.

Like doing work with MTV, I found that there are basically A, B and C level hard drives of music, and they go in that defending order of priority.

Plus you have to know what structure they want the tracks. Do your tracks fade in/out? If so, they're not gonna be used.

Are your tracks too busy? If so, they aren't gonna be used.

Are your tracks shitty quality? If so, they aren't gonna be used.

There's a lot that goes into what tracks they pick. I had to figure this out the hard way.

Talk to your music supervisors to see what exactly their criteria is for using the tracks.

And then ask them to pass your music along to their other fellow music Sups.

Excellent advice. Thanks.

Troup, if you don't mind, where can i find some of your music?

umm...all over.

I took down my store on my website, cuz it's broken, and i don't have time to fix it.

Haven't updated websites in a while, but here goes...

PMP Worldwide - The Best Opportunities for Producers and Songwriters (probably most recent update, like last year)

PMP Worldwide - The Best Opportunities for Producers and Songwriters (whew, some throwback songs on there! Some of the first songs I'd ever recorded)

jtrouptv - YouTube

Black Atom Productions...

I must warn you, none of my 2011/2012 work is up on those pages, because it's been all contracted work. So everything you're gonna hear was probably 2007-2010. Maybe with 1 or 2 exceptions.

And if you search real hard, there's a sound click page out there with beats from my first 2-3 years of beat making! :cry:

***edit****

wow...listening to these OLD songs. Whew...I remember these recording sessions. Had some great times with the people I was recording with.

And most importantly, I learned ALOT! I'm listening to some of these songs like OMG :( :cry:

Thank God for growth and evolution!

Last edited:
First off, music supervisors have "tiers" of music that they use.

Like doing work with MTV, I found that there are basically A, B and C level hard drives of music, and they go in that defending order of priority.

Plus you have to know what structure they want the tracks. Do your tracks fade in/out? If so, they're not gonna be used.

Are your tracks too busy? If so, they aren't gonna be used.

Are your tracks shitty quality? If so, they aren't gonna be used.

There's a lot that goes into what tracks they pick. I had to figure this out the hard way.

Talk to your music supervisors to see what exactly their criteria is for using the tracks.

And then ask them to pass your music along to their other fellow music Sups.

i lost a lot of work due to my overall sound quality not being "presentable" in the past.

chalked that shit up as growing pains/learning experience...

Great thread. I just started working with someone but before then my trouble wasn't solely finding an artist to work with. It was finding an artist that would record something AND PUT IT OUT.

I haven't made my own song from start to finish yet as in I created everything not just the lyrics.
And I think that's simply because I'm still learning the craft.
I've recorded "Songs" to other producers production but I realize I'm very unpolished and need to work on it
before I can say I truly understand song writing.

With that said there is this one local girl I'd love to produce for but as of right now I'm nowhere near skilled enough
she seemed a bit disheartened the last time we talked, I'm hoping to get all the gear I need and my skills up. Then I
think I'll try recording a song or two with her then just to see how things will go.

I genuinely only looked back into production because I want to release some self produced projects
instead of being at the whim of another "producer" and after having checked it out I kind of want to produce some
songs with someone else just to see how things go.

Last edited:
It's been talked about a million times. If you want to succeed as a producer/writer in the music industry, get with an artist and make some original records.

So the question is... WHY AREN'T YOU DOING IT???

WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE????

(and don't give me that "this is a hobby" shit...cuz you're lying)

I enjoy working with Television and film companies (left artist alone along time ago)

I don't make records because I am not a people person.

I focus solely on music licensing. I have music placed in a number of TV shows. I just cannot figure out how to make more money from this. I have been told by numerous sources that music licensing is a slow moving business. But I want to get on the fast track. I want to create the fast track.

Once I figure out what music to make or what companies to work with to make a large but steady income, I will feel better. I know there is something in my music or my presentation that is holding me back. If I can figure it out or get someone to show me, I will be set.

I have been putting in work, but I am totally frustrated right now.

Depends on how you're going about getting your music licensed. I've been working with TV and Film companies for years it's by no means a slow moving business. Pm me if you have questions

Last edited:
i use to record a shitload of local peeps(mostly friends and what not) then i took a break for a few years and got back into it recently. ive only sold beats once and it was a ripoff back in 04ish(guy only paid half of said price). Only album i am on is with my reggae band (play keyboards). kinda cool never expected to be doing reggae as i was mainly a hip hop/rnb guy. still grinding out here doing gigs/shows several times a month brings extra income for me and getting back into hip hop/ rnb producing again hoping what i learned with my band(networking, business stuff) will carry over.

i also ventured into film scoring with a counselor in a program that i use to go see. he told me the other day that the trailer for the documentary he is shooting won first place in the state with the music i provided, kinda cool to hear that as well and i still want to see the trailer lol.

Last edited:
Actually just started workin on some ideas for my own self produced project. Not that im done workin with artists but i have been through enough artists to know that the dream stays a dream cause hardly anybody wants to work hard enough to make it a reality.

Ive seen groups with classics fall apart, guys with money half ass into nothing, and guys with no money to promote not even make an attempt to get out there correctly. Im at a point where I only have 3 priorities with this business. Work with my handful of clients personally, keep my site updated a couple times a month, and focus on bringing myself out as an artist. I knew how to rap long before I ever even attempted to make a beat so its nothing 4 me to kill my own tracks. Just always planned on havin a team, but im 23 now, far too motivated as well as willing to learn and make adjustments on my own to succeed. **** the bullshyt. I will have new music coming out soon

Back