Who is the dopest producer ever in hip hop?

I know this is a broad question but who is your all time favorite hip hop producer? Your MVP?

I got to roll with RZA on this one

Last edited by a moderator:
Timbo at his finest just does something to me. I mean I have other favorites but Timbo would have to be #1. Idc what genre you like, as soon as those Timbo drums kick in and that bounce knocks you bound to nod your head.

Last edited:
hard to just name a couple.....Erick Sermon, Bomb Squad, Premo, Pete Rock, Dilla, & RZA

one person comes to mind that has been around for a while and has continued to progress throughout his career until this very day without falling off at all (I'm sure the said would be said about Dilla if he was still alive, unfortunately he isn't)

he hasn't produced a hip hop album that isn't considered a classic
(Funcrusher Plus, The Cold Vein, Fantastic Damage, I'll Sleep When You're Dead, R.A.P. Music, Cancer 4 Cure, Run the Jewels)

El-P has continued to evolve and experiment but has never made a wack hip hop beat (unlike RZA and numerous others)

1999:

2012:

to quote Killer Mike:
"Producer gave me a beat, said it’s the beat of the year/ I said ’El-P didn’t do it, so get the **** outta here.’”

Last edited:
Does it really matter? Whoever it was is not relevant anymore. People only become great after they fade into the background or die. Mike Will, Zaytoven, DJ Mustard, Bangladesh, T-Minus, and all of the current people will be considered legends in ten years.

Most of those guys will be behind the scenes doing other things and making more money. The young new cats will have all of the songs on the radio and will be making scraps of dollars. That is how the game goes. Do you think DJ Premier, Dr. Dre, Swizz Beatz, The Neptunes, Timbaland, Alchemist, Rza, and many other older producers care about taking over the radio? Nope.

Last edited:
Does it really matter? Whoever it was is not relevant anymore. People only become great after they fade into the background or die. Mike Will, Zaytoven, DJ Mustard, Bangladesh, T-Minus, and all of the current people will be considered legends in ten years.

Most of those guys will be behind the scenes doing other things and making more money. The young new cats will have all of the songs on the radio and will be making scraps of dollars. That is how the game goes. Do you thing DJ Premier, Dr. Dre, Swizz Beatz, The Neptunes, Timbaland, Alchemist, Rza, and many other older producers care about taking over the radio? Nope.
Good point.
But in order to get to that point they had to blow up to the point where they got the opportunity to get behind the scenes, usually linking up with a big wig in the game, starting their own company, or just going into acting. None of which could have happened without them getting on 1st.
So it does kinda matter.

. Do you think DJ Premier, Dr. Dre, Swizz Beatz, The Neptunes, Timbaland, Alchemist, Rza, and many other older producers care about taking over the radio? Nope.

lol I hope your post was not a response to me...it seemed that way so here we go (i'm bored and like to debate).....

a few of those guys seem to ARE A LOT about making radio friendly music (maybe not at the beginning of their career but that is how things turned out for them) half of those producers used to be dope but got wack and never looked back

El-P's popularity has taking a natural rise from underground legend to what he is now...what he is now is not a radio star but I guess you could call him an internet blog star? lol

I don't have anything against making $ but there is no reason that you can't make $ and stay true to the craft.
I don't actually like saying a certain producer is the BEST EVER ...it is just a matter how taste and we all have different criteria.
my criteria for El-P has to do with the fact that he has always been great and continues to push the boundaries of hip hop.

NO ONE can do what El-P can do behind the boards.

Dilla figured out Pete Rock's production style....there are producers that have figured out Dilla's production(not always as good though) I've never heard a producer make a beat that could be confused with an El-P beat...when you hear an El-P beat you've never heard before you know who produced it. I think that says A LOT about what he has been doing. That has to count for something...he might not be 'better than everyone' but NO ONE IS BETTER is ya catch my drift

he mastered the art of sample-based productions:

he mastered the art of synth based productions:

/\
What I say might save a life, what I speak might save the street
I ain't got no instruments, but I got my hands and feet
Hands gone clap and feet gone tap, El-P beats to make that snap
And I ride them with my raps, and they all tight as my naps

Last edited:
Hard question to answer, however for now I would pick from J Dilla and DJ Premier. Regards my favorite beat I have no doubt that it is from the album with Madlib to the track "The Red". For me although the beat appears to be simple, in fact it's banging the same everytime I hear it.

Last edited:
J Dilla.

Contrary to what at least one person has said here, NO ONE can do it like Dilla did it. His vision, his technical prowess, his musicianship and his ear are all thing that are 1 of 1, within and of James Dewitt Yancey alone. I'm not a 'Dilla 4 lyf, fukerrbody' guy at ALL. Credit where credit is due; I listen religiously to PR, the RZA, Just Blaze, Dre, El-P, Alchemist, Ski Beats, 40, Kanye, Pharrell, Primo and a whole slew of other producers just as much as I listen to Jay Dee and can still safely say that he had something no one else has yet to attain. It sits somewhere between his EQ techniques, his sample flips and his feel not only on the drums, but on the overall rhythm of every sonic aspect of a track, from bass and keys (rhodes, most famously), to raps and sung vocals. He's the one for me.

Dj Premier fo sho. Also Juicy J and Dj Paul. Old Triple Six goes hard.

But the new generation also has damn good ones. For example Yung Gud and Yung Sherman from Sadboys.

It's sad because producers dont get enough credit these days, I want to put down my favorite ones but i honestly dont know any. I know some rappers wit sum bad ass beats but i dont know who there producers r?

my all time favorite beats are old rza, i have a hard time labeling him the GOAT though cuz he fell off to a degree after maybe 2000.

It's sad because producers dont get enough credit these days, I want to put down my favorite ones but i honestly dont know any. I know some rappers wit sum bad ass beats but i dont know who there producers r?

I think you're either not paying attention or listening to the wrong people. This is the age of the producer, in my opinion. There has never been another time in Hip-hop where a producer's weight has been so influential to artists and listeners alike. For the first time since hip-hop was born, you've got people not just buying an album because a certain rapper is on it, but because a string of beats by their favourite producer is on it. Think about it, even old-school producers are getting more love from the listeners now then they did when they were making the music that put them on the map. Shit, the industry is so saturated with high-profile beat makers that we've even got engineers getting screen time! (MixedbyAli - Kendrick Lamar).
Nah man, producers get plenty love and respect...and it's growing everyday.

I gotta the credit where its due Zaytoven, Shawty Redd, Mannie Fresh and Big Krit is up there but Timbaland is #1. This man was producin for Missy Elliot, Ginuwine and Aaliyah simultaneously... And everything they was droppin went multi platinum!!! After Aaliyah passed though things jus wasn't the same that ****ed Timbo up. R.I.P Aaliyah!!!

Back