Whats your guys methods to get perfect rhythm/timing? Any tips on timing?

M

mikey joe

So ive been producing for 2 years now and even though ive improved my rythem and timing greatly i still find it almost always quit outta time. What im talking about is using my maschine i almost always end up having to correct timing not nessacerly with quantizing cause i dont like the robotic sound but manually sometimes its quit a bit of adjusting too.

Im curious how good are you guys at drumming on the maschine and staying in time with the click track? Im curious how I can improve my timing and yes do have a drum set and practice with a click but i still find im outta sync does anyone know any useful ways to practice keeping timing?

And do you guys count like 1 and 2 and ect. when drumming or do you just feel the groove any tips for keeping better rhythm would be helpful it would also speed up the production process greatly

Thanks,
Mike

Practice, Practice, Practice! That and finding out what exactly you have a tendency to do wrong. I have a habit of playing my keys early when my quantize is off. Something ive been working on.

Your quantize function should have a percentage that you can set. So if you set it to 80%, it'll pull those notes 80% of the way to the grid (relative to each notes starting point).

When you set that percentage (called an iterative quantize in Cubase), you can pull your notes closer to the grid so the rhythm is "tighter", but still retains a lot of it's human-ness.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies yeah i guess all it really is practice practice practice like you said which i will def keep i find playing with metronome tapping out the same rhythm until you get it perfect for around a hour or so every weekend has been helping alot. And troup thanks for the tip but i knew that haha you got that function on maschine called 50% quantitize which does the same thing as your describing in the cubase.

But thanks for the replies and if anyone else has any tips please feel free to add i would love the input from more veteran producers then myself which is like everyone haha - respect ;)

Back