Whats good hip hop to you?

JARAMILLO

Everyone is talking about that hip hop should sound like the hip hop that pete rock, gangstar, wu tang clan and all the wrest of the old school classic artists did and still do, but i dont see a producer like scott storch making beats like that and he is well respected in hip hop.

so my main question is whats good hip hop to you, is it the classic hip hop from the golden years, or more modern hip hop the type of music the neptunes, timbaland & scott storch make.

Golden Era. 36 chambers, illmatic, any of the tribe albums, de la soul, All that good ****.

From the newer stuff... I like busta's new album, common, roots, mos def, talib kweli, hi tek, etc etc.

With me its all in the mood. A lotta times I like to mellow it out with Common, Nas, Pete Rock, Mos Def type things. Or i feel like i wanna get pumped up for somethin...so im jammin to some 50Cent, Game, Snoop. Its all about mood. If you wanna relax.....The Love Below. Outkast. No need to describe lol. Thats good hiphop.

sure, illmatic, 36 chambers, the infamous, etc, that's classic. But i think hip hop has come further. That would sound really dated if it came out now. For me, it's the same vibe as the classic stuff with more complexity. More chopping, cleaner production that still feels "classic"

iRock said:
With me its all in the mood. A lotta times I like to mellow it out with Common, Nas, Pete Rock, Mos Def type things. Or i feel like i wanna get pumped up for somethin...so im jammin to some 50Cent, Game, Snoop. Its all about mood. If you wanna relax.....The Love Below. Outkast. No need to describe lol. Thats good hiphop.
Ha, ha...you think like me man. I judge more by skill and the vibe then the content. So if you wack talking about changing the world i'm not gonna listen JUST because your not talking about a negative subject. You gotta have talent imo.

yeah all of this is true

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think any particular vibe is "hip hop" to me. Outkast, Fort Minor, Gym Class Heroes, MF Doom all don't have a vibe like that at all but that's all good hip hop.

good hip hop is music that has good lyrics, and beat...comes right down to it really...

theonlybman said:
I don't think any particular vibe is "hip hop" to me. Outkast, Fort Minor, Gym Class Heroes, MF Doom all don't have a vibe like that at all but that's all good hip hop.

i love gym class heroes they're songs is like real dope...fort minor is koo, have always been a fan of outkast hanvet listened to MF Doom before...i heard Qasimoto and i was like wtf is this..lol

Last edited:
I have a lil bit of love it all: down south, up north, midwest, westcoast.

It's all good.

There should be room for it all. Niggas need to stop hating, and except the fact that music moves in cycles. Build yourself a faithful following of 100-300 hardcore fans, move away from the majors in times of drought, and pay your bills off of the back of the faithful.

Rappers that cry about real hip-hop being dead are simply saying that they are no longer relevant.

It's all HipHop... Trendsetting and standing out. From music to style. From D4L to Common. From Snoop to Cam'Ron. I respect the music, when it's original. Groups like D4L may not be able to draw me in lyrically, but at least their content is about what they know. And not what everyone else is saying. I'm not a fan, but I understand what they're doing. They're being true to themselves and their fans. Everybody's selling coke in the rap game right now. And we all know that less than 25% are telling the truth!

And trendsetting: The Diplomats are the new school Wu Tang. They roll deep, they make their own rules. They're inseparable. And they've got huge influence on listeners today. A lot of people will disagree of course because most people from the Wu era never wanted it to end.

Same with the other eras HipHop experienced. That's why people are so judgmental towards new music. It's like when "ol' Heads" use to say: "That Rap music you listen to is garbage," and they'd throw on an Al Green record and say "That's real music right there bwoi what you knowbout-that!" Same thing. They just miss it because it's over with.

Vote Jai said:
And trendsetting: The Diplomats are the new school Wu Tang. They roll deep, they make their own rules. They're inseparable. And they've got huge influence on listeners today. A lot of people will disagree of course because most people from the Wu era never wanted it to end.

YA DIG? I always respect the hustle. The dipset put in their work, and are now seeing the spoils. I don't think that they are great, but they sure are entertaining.

I, for one, love the old school like "Radio" by the Crash Crew up to jointz that are new... like "A Dream" by Commom from the Freedom Writer soundtrack. Like it was stated before it's about the mood too. Depending on the my mood that's what I'll pump. I think a lot of people from the True Era don't feel a lot of the new school hip hop of today, because of the reason that they're just use to what they knew first. The original style of hip hop is still commanded, but the new style is respect too... it's just in the flavor (who prefer what)!

Peace and Blessings!

If im the hip hop mood,i'll play sum cashmoney 92-05 era,Camron,Rakim,Slick Rick or Prodigy.Oh yeA,i cant 4get project pat.He is like the robert horry of hip hop.He's not great at anything but he has that quality about him.The way project pat flows on a beat is nice.He definitely knows how 2 make a catchy track.It dosent hurt that he got dj paul and juicy j.People front on camron but he has the same style as ghostface.Dipset is doin they thing right now.There is always power in numbers.But as far as muzik goes I dont care if ur from atl or austraila,if ur muzik is hot,it will get bumped.

"Golden Era. 36 chambers, illmatic, any of the tribe albums, de la soul, All that good ****.

From the newer stuff... I like busta's new album, common, roots, mos def, talib kweli, hi tek, etc etc."

Exactly. hip hop to me was back in da day when almost everyother song WASN`T about shooting pplz and killing you, and ****ing your *****, and cars that have special paint and 40 grand in your mouth, or having half naked women in every video, so that your neices and nephews cant watch.

Back in the day when yu got a nice flow, just stuff like that was great.

But i guess now we can only remember.............

Last edited:
Back