What would You Do??

MistaFinnis

In the words of Ester..Dayyyyyum dayyyyyum dayyyyyyum!!! Okaay heres whats up..I have been working and making tracks under a particular company name and honestly never registered as a company or website at that time..I recently purchased a website domain in which I had no issues in purchasing because "It was AVAILABLE".. After the fact I did a lil more research just to see if anybody else is thinking like I am and low and behold by changing up my search criteria I found out that a kat from somewhere is using that name and puttin up links for the SAME name as my website but the website was not even registered to him..like i said when I purchased it IT WAS AVAILABLE..To me he seems like a kat that was just ddoing a lot of talking and not doing anything.. Is it normal for people to have the same company names or interest in company names..I wonder should i get a different name and start from scratch and avoid the whole situation but then I again ,****, IM THE ONE who took the initiative to purchase the domain and handle my business on the legal side..Im not a biter nor do i wanna appear as one..Is this something that goes on all the time cause it is a small world after all..Is it just one of those things whoever makes it first or what...I was just wanting to share that with yall and get some opinions on this matter..Who better to ask than my FP PEEPS!!!!!!!!

Where can I check to see if anythings been released under the name or if hes registered with IRS under the name..cause honestly Im in the process of doing that now as far as registering with IRS

if u didn't already trademark u'r name, do it, or else u might be the one getting sued.

google it up. you should find a gov site. when u start getting serious, trademarking is important.

I would just look up and see if the guy has released any type of material with the name that you're wanting to use.

People that are not web savvy often promote their name they use as a website even if the domain has not been registered.

Regardless of anything, you own the domain name. If the person is not doing business in your area and you are doing business locally you'll be fine also. Even if you do business nationwide, you'll be fine doing business at the location where the other person is located as long as you're not trying to register your business in the same location as the other person.

Look at restaurant businesses. There's bound to be restaurants out there with completely different owners and yet the establishments have the same names. It's a little different if you were trying to register a McDonald's or such but on a small level in two different locations, it's not a problem.

There are different types of name registration that you can do.

Registration with the state ensure's that you're the only one in the state (in that line of business) that can have that name. Someone else in a different state can have the name, and there's nothing u can do about it.

National registration and trademarking means that you're the only one in the country that can have the name. That's way more expensive though.

Thing is, with the national registration, all he has to do is prove that he was using the name before you, and he'd have a case against you.

If you're that serious, register the name, state or federal. Domain registration means NOTHING. Just means that you paid to use an internet domain for a year. It's not legally binding or anything.

Get the name registered with the state or federal government if you really want to OWN the name...

(and continue letting that dude advertise for you)

Get the name registered with the state or federal government if you really want to OWN the name

Were still talking trademarking right?..Having the Business license is a different ball game huh?...And I feel ya on the part about letting Dude ADVERTISE FOR ME..lol...Beautiful!!!

MistaFinnis said:
Were still talking trademarking right?..Having the Business license is a different ball game huh?...And I feel ya on the part about letting Dude ADVERTISE FOR ME..lol...Beautiful!!!

Trademark is federal. Good nationwide. Costs like 5k, but if you plan on doing business on a national level, get it done.

example: McDonald's

Registration is state. Just for doing business in the state. Doesn't apply outside of your state, and only costs about $30.

example: Leroy's Barber Shop, Laundrymat, Recording Studio & Chinese Food.

Back