(video)Music Producer Icons: Rick Rubin .a real super producer.thoughts and feedback?

AveMcree

Dope Boy Music
yeah you might wanna read up on this guy because alot of what people are doing today isnt new...

Random as hell, at 0:11 who is that chick next to Skrillex? Looks mad familiar but I can't think of who that is.

Sidenote: I'd hope anyone on this site already knew all this, but sure most don't(they'll come in this thread and pretend they do after watching the vid though).

Actually, the one thing I never knew was that Dre quote.

Last edited:
Random as hell, at 0:11 who is that chick next to Skrillex? Looks mad familiar but I can't think of who that is.

Sidenote: I'd hope anyone on this site already knew all this, but sure most don't(they'll come in this thread and pretend they do after watching the vid though).

Actually, the one thing I never knew was that Dre quote.

she was a back up singer in skrillex old rock group but she was recieving a grammy with skrillex for that dope song "banglarang" or however its spelled for her vocals

re

He got a lot of grief as a record exec but his discography is deep and serious. not many producers have the diversity and success he has had. They use to work out of an old mansion in Laurell Canyon that Hendrix rented for a summer. nowdays, he owns the Shangri La house in Malibu. I like his approach...

Good stuff!
I think that Wild Style, Crush Groove, and Beat Street should be required viewing for anyone who claims to know hip-hop under 30.
Also, I think a lot of hip-hop/r&b heads forgot about Rubin because he basically went into other genres (making a sh_ load of money) after he left Def Jam.

He got a lot of grief as a record exec but his discography is deep and serious. not many producers have the diversity and success he has had. They use to work out of an old mansion in Laurell Canyon that Hendrix rented for a summer. nowdays, he owns the Shangri La house in Malibu. I like his approach...

only 2 people I know walking closely on Rick Rubins level is Pharrell and Dr. Luke ... I know alot of people dont know who Dr. Luke is but yeah he's been dominating the billboards for the last 7 years silently.... the main reason why Im ending this series with him..

I have been following Rubin since the first Beastie Boys album broke.

A lot of the info you shared was pretty surface stuff. I think a look into how he used his minimalist approach to change music as we know it, the processes he uses to get into an artists head and bring out the best they have to offer and maybe even a look into his business model would have made for a more interesting video and created a more varied conversation.

I have been following Rubin since the first Beastie Boys album broke.

A lot of the info you shared was pretty surface stuff. I think a look into how he used his minimalist approach to change music as we know it, the processes he uses to get into an artists head and bring out the best they have to offer and maybe even a look into his business model would have made for a more interesting video and created a more varied conversation.

your one of the few people that actually want a video that shares a bigger impact lol... after doing research on watch time on youtube, the shorter the video, the better.... most of my videos on youtube barely get 10% watch time on 6mins+ videos... So the result is that I will not do very long informative (which I covered his biggest achievements though not all of them) until my stats (and subscribers) start watching more, commenting, subbing, liking and participating...

I covered his style of production... how did you miss that? all your other suggestions I do respect...

your one of the few people that actually want a video that shares a bigger impact lol... after doing research on watch time on youtube, the shorter the video, the better.... most of my videos on youtube barely get 10% watch time on 6mins+ videos... So the result is that I will not do very long informative (which I covered his biggest achievements though not all of them) until my stats (and subscribers) start watching more, commenting, subbing, liking and participating...

I covered his style of production... how did you miss that? all your other suggestions I do respect...

You did cover his style of production but I guess such a short video covering a man with such a long list of accomplishments it felt slighted.

With the short attention span of todays audience I am not surprised I guess that a 10 minute video would be too long, average time for a video on YT is something like 4.5 minutes to garner consistent hits.

I will add you as a sub just to +1 you...besides I like what you are trying to do with this series.

Last edited:
You did cover his style of production but I guess such a short video covering a man with such a long list of accomplishments it felt slighted.

With the short attention span of todays audience I am not surprised I guess that a 10 minute video would be too long, average time for a video on YT is something like 4.5 minutes to garner consistent hits.

I will add you as a sub just to +1 you...besides I like what you are trying to do with this series.

thanks... I know it was just a taste of what Rick Rubin did and I apologize..... and yeah its really hard to brand yourself on youtube these days w/o being a prick to someone for quick fame a la Charlamagne the God :( sigh... and yeah Vine video ruin peoples attention spans.... 15secs of looping videos is the future? I hope not lol

Back