(Video)Music Prodcer Icons: Polow da Don.. thoughts and opinions??feedback?

Chad is at FoolGolds Rec..... 2nd look at the credits for Pharell recent reign on the top 100 and see what the names says.... anywho, be on the look out for the 2nd part of the Neptunes Icon episodes

BTW good job on the video - I can't knock your hustle and you have a good concept. Only thing I'd recommend is just pack in more info and content into the video (I know you're tryna shorten them), but I def learned some new things in this one.

Last edited:
No line is to be drawn, it's to be understood that marketing serves a purpose and does effect fanbase. But all the marketing in the world won't make you like what you don't like, it simply brings the product to your attention. Biggest excuse in music is that people were brainwashed into liking something. Guys who think they're smarter than everyone else convince themselves this has to be what's happening.

The Music Industry Is Literally Brainwashing You to Like Bad Pop Songs
:p

Plenty of people still don't like Miley Cyrus' "Can't Stop" nomatter how many times it's been played for the people who do love it. As a consumer, you have the right to just "not like' stuff. As someone who does this for a profession, if you can't recognize what the consumers are attracted to whether you like it or not, you WILL NOT have a long career. You won't know how to recognize a hit. Now...how far will that take you?

Music is just one piece of the puzzle. Who performs the song matters as much as the song itself. If "Can't Stop" was performed by Kiesza it probably wouldn't be a top10 hit. Because all the other bullshit would be missing.

Which is why analyzing songs from purely musical standpoint is pointless, "Blurred Lines" and "Can't Stop" and "Problem" and "Fancy" have barely anything in common, yet they all "work".

several #1 hits in multiple genres of music... helped re-invent artist career.. grammy nominated..helped develop new talent.... multiple top 200/40 hits... I can keep going but I have to get ready for my DJ set at this festival...

Still doesn't make him an icon... Dr. Dre is an Icon and dude can't even shine his shoes.....

The Music Industry Is Literally Brainwashing You to Like Bad Pop Songs
:p

Music is just one piece of the puzzle. Who performs the song matters as much as the song itself. If "Can't Stop" was performed by Kiesza it probably wouldn't be a top10 hit. Because all the other bullshit would be missing.

Which is why analyzing songs from purely musical standpoint is pointless, "Blurred Lines" and "Can't Stop" and "Problem" and "Fancy" have barely anything in common, yet they all "work".
Yet...I still hate "Fancy" and never liked "Blurred Lines" much. But perfect time for me to give an example of 'why things worked.

Fancy
1. White Rapper Chick who's slowly revealed herself to the world to be Australian with an accent(you see, if you're white and too authentic in urban music, you get overlooked, but once you can relate to the burbs you go from poor white trash/wigger status to girl/guy next door, same reason Em wouldn't work without bleached hair and the sarcastic "hi My Name Is" when he made his debut).
2. Catchy hook with a Gwen Stefaniesque vibe to it(because people love a sound they can relate to).
3. Memorable lyrics and bridge so that you instantly remember the song. After 3 listens you knew most of the rap parts or at least could fill in what was going to be said next because of the tone that was used and everything having space to be overpronounced, this makes her "demographic" instantly able to "rap" along with her. And the bridge? "Crash the hotel!!!" Everyone in a party setting is putting up a drink when that comes on.
4. Clueless references in the vid...nostalgic like the Gwen Stefaniesque hook. People love stuff they can relate to.

So...to cover this idea of who performs mattering, absolutely. That's why as a producer, or anyone else in this business, you have to be able to create stars. Iggy didn't matter before this song beyond a small demographic, this was her breakthrough hit because of the way they developed and presented her. Could it have worked with any of her other songs even if played to death on radio? All hypothetical at this point, but I don't believe so. I think this is the catchiest and most commercially constructed song she's done.

Now....think of how much you can take from that and make "common' with a song like "Blurred Lines"...now you're starting to get it. If you're good enough to have a career in music.

Blurred lines
1. White RnB guy who's been around for years but finally toned down to gentrify his demographic
2. Catchy party song with a Marvin Gayesque Vibe(because people love a sound they can relate to)......

I bet not 1 scientist doing all that research knows MUSIC as well as I do. Numbers and statistics, sure....but last time those worked, execs weren't pulling out their hair trying to figure out a way to sell music.

Again, it's human nature to fear what you can't relate to. So something's gotta be wrong for everyone else to like a song if you don't. Yet, even in the article you see tweets from people saying "if I hear that song one more time, I'm gonna set the world on fire". Does that alone not debunk the idea. People who initially don't care for these songs get to the point where they despise them more often than not. Why? Because they're on repeat to expose them to people who will grow to love them and in the process, we're tortured. All that aside, a hit is still a hit.

Last edited:
and clearly you didnt read where he put #1 and 2 by the artist names and songs.... c'mon guys he deserves his title....

Clearly you didn't read and/or understand my post and it still stands.

I see 81 total songs...with only 5 having a number of any kind next to the name...with the last being in 2008.

Granted, that's still an amazing resume, but personally doesn't put someone on Icon status. Whatever happened to the Kelly Rowland album he was supposed to be executive producing a few years ago? I didn't hear much about him being on her last album.

Still doesn't make him an icon... Dr. Dre is an Icon and dude can't even shine his shoes.....

Dr. Dre has a decade of work over him if not 2 decades.... Ironically Polow close to the same amount of hit records.... you going more off of personal preference... or atleast thats how I feel lol... most people feel some kind of way about Polow however they are overlooking he track record.... I even saw someone blame him for making Kelly Rowlands cd flop... lol ok not every thang Dr. Dre touch was gold either... it happens, especially when you got alot of your plate....

thats like me comparing Dr. Dre to Rick Rubin...

the purpose of my show isnt to focus on the negative... there is too much of that garbage on the internet.... and I rather my show take off from positive than from me bad mouthing people...

Last edited:
I even saw someone blame him for making Kelly Rowlands cd flop... lol ok not every thang Dr. Dre touch was gold either... it happens, especially when you got alot of your plate....

thats like me comparing Dr. Dre to Rick Rubin...

That wasn't a jab at Polow, but a serious question - I just remember seeing an interview of the two of them in the studio before she made her come back and I never heard anything about it again...I actually didn't even remember the interview until this thread. I have no idea if he was on that one or her more recent album.

And again, I enjoy your show and am glad you're putting topics like this out there for discussion - we all can learn something about artists we don't necessarily follow or know about.

Last edited:
it will be interesting to see what he does with Jimmy gone. I wouldnt put him in the league with Dre. Even if he had equal or more hits. hits arent everything. How many hits did Hendrix have? (not that im comparing Hendrix to either guy). Dre has multilple huge iconic game changing projects he has done. Just NWA alone had a huge impact on the world, not even counting his solo albums that are just as huge and snoop, em, 50, etc.

Yet...I still hate "Fancy" and never liked "Blurred Lines" much. But perfect time for me to give an example of 'why things worked.

Fancy
1. White Rapper Chick who's slowly revealed herself to the world to be Australian with an accent(you see, if you're white and too authentic in urban music, you get overlooked, but once you can relate to the burbs you go from poor white trash/wigger status to girl/guy next door, same reason Em wouldn't work without bleached hair and the sarcastic "hi My Name Is" when he made his debut).
2. Catchy hook with a Gwen Stefaniesque vibe to it(because people love a sound they can relate to).
3. Memorable lyrics and bridge so that you instantly remember the song. After 3 listens you knew most of the rap parts or at least could fill in what was going to be said next because of the tone that was used and everything having space to be overpronounced, this makes her "demographic" instantly able to "rap" along with her. And the bridge? "Crash the hotel!!!" Everyone in a party setting is putting up a drink when that comes on.
4. Clueless references in the vid...nostalgic like the Gwen Stefaniesque hook. People love stuff they can relate to.

So...to cover this idea of who performs mattering, absolutely. That's why as a producer, or anyone else in this business, you have to be able to create stars. Iggy didn't matter before this song beyond a small demographic, this was her breakthrough hit because of the way they developed and presented her. Could it have worked with any of her other songs even if played to death on radio? All hypothetical at this point, but I don't believe so. I think this is the catchiest and most commercially constructed song she's done.

Now....think of how much you can take from that and make "common' with a song like "Blurred Lines"...now you're starting to get it. If you're good enough to have a career in music.

Blurred lines
1. White RnB guy who's been around for years but finally toned down to gentrify his demographic
2. Catchy party song with a Marvin Gayesque Vibe(because people love a sound they can relate to)......

I bet not 1 scientist doing all that research knows MUSIC as well as I do. Numbers and statistics, sure....but last time those worked, execs weren't pulling out their hair trying to figure out a way to sell music.

Again, it's human nature to fear what you can't relate to. So something's gotta be wrong for everyone else to like a song if you don't. Yet, even in the article you see tweets from people saying "if I hear that song one more time, I'm gonna set the world on fire". Does that alone not debunk the idea. People who initially don't care for these songs get to the point where they despise them more often than not. Why? Because they're on repeat to expose them to people who will grow to love them and in the process, we're tortured. All that aside, a hit is still a hit.

This post is gold.

Formulas and prototypes, rinse and repeat lol.

Back