(video)Was Kanye West "Yeezus" Far Ahead Of its Time? thoughts and feedback

No they are wrong saying it is ahead of it's time. Yeezus was a self serving exercise in how to overhype yourself and fail to deliver.

You can only say an album or an artist was "ahead of it's time" in retrospect after time has past (years not months). As example you could say Gary Numan was ahead of his time because the time has finally caught up to what he was doing on his albums in the 80's (even Reznor recognizes his influence on his career).

As for your comment about "hip hop in it's dying days" in the video, I think you are horribly wrong. What you should be saying instead is that, "the pop aspect of hip hop is killing itself". What we hear promoted to us on the radio/tv/advertising and whatnot is and always has been the lowest end of the spectrum with all forms of music. It is once you dig beneath the surface and get away from most the household names that you begin to see that hip hop is still very much alive, the powers that be have decided that positive, content filled, socially conscious or intelligent hip hop is not what they are going to promote and will not make them money even though it did quite well up to and during the "golden era".

seeing as how it just came out last year. It's kind of too early to say that Yeezus was ahead of its time. However I will say that out of all of Kanye's albums it is the most daring. It's also the most flawed. It just sounds Harsh and disjointed.

yeezus was dope as hell to me. i'd say its ahead of its time but that really depends on where music goes from here. i'm a fan of yeezus though.

i think yeezus was wack, rapping about rich people problems

No they are wrong saying it is ahead of it's time. Yeezus was a self serving exercise in how to overhype yourself and fail to deliver.

You can only say an album or an artist was "ahead of it's time" in retrospect after time has past (years not months). As example you could say Gary Numan was ahead of his time because the time has finally caught up to what he was doing on his albums in the 80's (even Reznor recognizes his influence on his career).

d

As for your comment about "hip hop in it's dying days" in the video, I think you are horribly wrong. What you should be saying instead is that, "the pop aspect of hip hop is killing itself". What we hear promoted to us on the radio/tv/advertising and whatnot is and always has been the lowest end of the spectrum with all forms of music. It is once you dig beneath the surface and get away from most the household names that you begin to see that hip hop is still very much alive, the powers that be have decided that positive, content filled, socially conscious or intelligent hip hop is not what they are going to promote and will not make them money even though it did quite well up to and during the "golden era".

damn Gary Numan..... I respect you!!!!!

do you know how hard it was for me not to shit on kanye???? Im a fan of his work all of it damn Yeezus clutched his huge ego

hiphop is dying a hard death to these people with money not willing to take a chance on polished work.... mainstream hiphop is at its very worse but thats not a bad thing to me because the very thing that made mainstream hiphop big (a la cable tv getting big during the late 80's and 90's) is dying.... the next biggest thing where alot of these guys are killling themselves at (social media) is bigger....

my main genre of music is rock and roll..... look what happened to that... its damn near non-exist-ant :(

Last edited:
I think that rather than it being ahead of it's time, people are confusing it with the messages that aren't comprehended by most people at the moment. I actually think that his future in his creative space determines whether the record will be considered that label to be honest.

Personally I think this album was horrible all the way around. It made me have to go back and listen to college dropout and graduation just to be sure that I was listening to the same person.

I think that rather than it being ahead of it's time, people are confusing it with the messages that aren't comprehended by most people at the moment. I actually think that his future in his creative space determines whether the record will be considered that label to be honest.

Ye's always gone have a place in the game imo. it may not be rapping but everybody admits he's a dope ass producer no way around it. and he can still come back with another college dropout or late registration if he wanted to. To me Yeezus was shitting on all the "go back to the old style" type fans. like when he said "How much do I not give a ****? Let me show you right now before you give it up" and then dropped a sample he would have flipped something crucial in like those old days. and how on bound he flipped a sample but didn't lay any drums on it. Little things like that kinda give m the impression that he just wanted to do something different this time. I can't wait for the next album.

Um, no! There is something very arrogant about this idea, which assumes most music listeners lack the intelligence to comprehend what he did. The truth is that it was wack! He tried to pull stuff from other people and it didn't work. This was a prototype that may have been based on some good ideas but it didn't work.
I'm not some guy, like many cats on here, that just listens to hip-hop. I know what advanced composition sounds like. I know what complex lyrics sound like. Geezus was neither.
lauren hill was ahead of her time
outkast were ahead of their time
Brian Blade was ahead of his time
laura mula is ahead of her time
Geezus was not, and the truth is that if this was released by some new group we wouldn't be having this discussion

Stop Smokin'... this dude is bored as hell to talk that phuggin' long.

Get out the house.

I personally didn't like yeezus compared to his other work... but i like at yeezus like this.. HE EXPERIMENTED ALOT ON THIS ALBUM ... MAYBE TOO MUCH AND JUST BECAUSE YOU EXPERIMENT WITH NEW THINGS DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN THE OUTCOME IS GOING TO BE GOOD.. LIKE IN THE CASE OF YEEZUS.. BUT AS A MUSICIAN I DO RESPECT/LIKE THE FACT THAT HE TOOK THE CHANCE WITH EXPERIMENTING AND TRYING NEW THINGS..

Stop Smokin'... this dude is bored as hell to talk that phuggin' long.

Get out the house.

lol wassup rome..... I actually got back from Djing a festival and these cats were arguing with me about this album being "original" (my friend at complex mag)... thats how this video came about

^^^Yup, even the ones he sampled.

I'm joking, Yeezus was Kanye putting out some B.S. to get an album out real quick. Nothing even sounded finished, it was a buncha demos and templates to ideas never polished to finished tracks. He's allowed to "give that away"(at the cost of a real CD)and have people convince themselves something artistic was done because they keep their heads that far up his azz.

Last edited:
If you didn't figure it out, it was sarcasm lol... I don't want people thinking I am deaf/retarded.

Yeezus was probably the worst record I've spent time listening to. There was so much hype around it, plus the College Dropout/Late Reg/Grad albums that I thought I'd give it a dedicated listen past the ridiculous snippets I had heard.

Bound 2 could have been an incredible record. But the beat was insanely annoying, and the lyrics were straight retarded, worse than that.

U kidding? It was just wack. Wasn't Avant Garde, wasn't progressive, wasn't forward thinking...

it was just wack.

It was a misstep. He went too far left.

It was a daring endeavor to bring it to rap fans.

That's what Kanye's always done, bring stuff from other cultures and make it digestible for rap fans. The majority of rap fans never have and still wouldn't bump Death Grips or NIN.

We won't see if it's ahead of it's time until a few years from now and we see if the next great rap artists take inspiration from it. Just like we can see now that 808s was ahead of it's time, we see concepts introduced in 808s manifested in Drake and a lot of other artists that make that same emotional, vulnerable ambient music.

Back