Taking Over the Game (

Why hasnt there been a phenomenal church or classical musician to take over the game. I mean shouldnt there be someone out there who knows music theory like the back of their hand who should be killing these other producers out here by applying that knowledge to urban beats(trap beats). THe only 2 i know of are Drumma boy and Zaytoven and look at them. Theyve been running the game forever. So why isnt there more producers like this ???

Why hasnt there been a phenomenal church or classical musician to take over the game. I mean shouldnt there be someone out there who knows music theory like the back of their hand who should be killing these other producers out here by applying that knowledge to urban beats(trap beats). THe only 2 i know of are Drumma boy and Zaytoven and look at them. Theyve been running the game forever. So why isnt there more producers like this ???

Who says there isn't?

Because being classically trained is irrelevant for the most part in regards to being a music producer. Many trained musicians wind up working for the music producer. Music theory actually limits most producers because most of the funkiest shyt defies all the rules and restrictions imposed by being classically trained. Those who play by feel and ear usually make the better producers Quincy Jones being the biggest exception.

Last edited:
Music theory actually limits most producers because most of the funkiest shyt defies all the rules and restrictions imposed by being classically trained.

It sure as hell didn't stop Herbie Hancock or Bernie Worrell from being funky.

This is a crazy thread. What does classically trained mean? Only people who study classical and gospel music or people with formal music training. There are plenty of successful musicians who have formal musical training.

Because being classically trained is irrelevant for the most part in regards to being a music producer. Many trained musicians wind up working for the music producer. Music theory actually limits most producers because most of the funkiest shyt defies all the rules and restrictions imposed by being classically trained. Those who play by feel and ear usually make the better producers Quincy Jones being the biggest exception.

I never really believed in this... a great musician is a
great musician, theory or not.

Those who say that theory puts restraints on their art
are bullshitting, often the real problem is their lack of
creativity to work within a structure sorta speak. It's
the same thing with art or sports... there's still a set
of principles that must be mastered. The great ones
(or the ones with potential to be great) drastically
excel when they learn fundamentals/theory/principles
since they know how to bend them to fit their creativity...
the ones who weren't that good to begin will say it restricts
them since they weren't that creative to begin with.

I never really believed in this... a great musician is a
great musician, theory or not.

Those who say that theory puts restraints on their art
are bullshitting, often the real problem is their lack of
creativity to work within a structure sorta speak. It's
the same thing with art or sports... there's still a set
of principles that must be mastered. The great ones
(or the ones with potential to be great) drastically
excel when they learn fundamentals/theory/principles
since they know how to bend them to fit their creativity...
the ones who weren't that good to begin will say it restricts
them since they weren't that creative to begin with.

Just list some of the hottest producers in the history of music then see if they have a classical music training backround. I am of course influenced by the elder musicians who started back making Blues and playing in juke joints and the chitling circuit then followed by all those musicians from Stax Records, Motown's Funk Brothers, , Stevie Wonder etc.. James Brown, George Clinton, Sly Stone, Barry White are a few others. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Teddy Riley I believe had formal training.-I looked on Wikipedia and it seems like he learned in Church. Oh well add him to the list too.

Last edited:
Just list some of the hottest producers in the history of music then see if they have a classical music training backround.

Scott Storch, Chad Hugo... even Pharrell is classically trained percussionist. :)

I am of course influenced by the elder musicians who started back making Blues and playing in juke joints and the chitling circuit then followed by all those musicians from Stax Records, Motown's Funk Brothers, , Stevie Wonder etc.. James Brown, George Clinton, Sly Stone, Barry White are a few others.

Most of those guys are classically trained...Booker T, Dale Warren, Earl van Dyke and Joe Hunter (Funk Brothers), Willie Mitchel (Hi Records) etc...

Sha Money XL was a classically trained pianist. Of course, "classically trained" doesn't really mean much other than "you learned to play under the guidance of a master", not necessarily that you learned classical music music.

I think it has a LOT more to do with just how they're trained. I'm sure there are plenty of producers with classical backgrounds that just don't have the means to get out and get their music heard. So many factors go into becoming popular and known.

Scott Storch, Chad Hugo... even Pharrell is classically trained percussionist. :)

Most of those guys are classically trained...Booker T, Dale Warren, Earl van Dyke and Joe Hunter (Funk Brothers), Willie Mitchel (Hi Records) etc...

You guys are determined to find a few producers who had some formal music training. Don't want to see those piano lessons go to waste huh? I am in no means trying to discourage anyone from pursuing their dreams. I'm just regurgitating things I've learned over the years. In many instances these musicians and producers who I admired didnt grow up in a environment that afforded them the luxury of a formal music education.

Last edited:

Speaking of church. This is the best collection of gospel samples I ever heard. Alchemist got his mojo back:

Download free The Alchemist & Budgie – The Good Book (2014) [MP3] - Mediafire, **********, Torrent, Zippyshare, Uploaded « Plixid.com | Bringing music to life

Last edited:
You guys are determined to find a few producers who had some formal music training. Don't want to see those piano lessons go to waste huh? I am in no means trying to discourage anyone from pursuing their dreams. I'm just regurgitating things I've learned over the years. In many instances these musicians and producers who I admired didnt grow up in a environment that afforded them the luxury of a formal music education.

Ya man, but your position is flawed.
The number one cat right now-- pharell (and chad) are formally trained.
They both were in music programs since middle school to high school. They both play several instruments.

If u had a music teacher for any decent period of time, you have been formally trained.

Stevie Wonder may have leaned by ear to play, but I'm sure all those years b4 he was an adult he learned quite a bit from trained musicians.

Just list some of the hottest producers in the history of music then see if they have a classical music training backround. I am of course influenced by the elder musicians who started back making Blues and playing in juke joints and the chitling circuit then followed by all those musicians from Stax Records, Motown's Funk Brothers, , Stevie Wonder etc.. James Brown, George Clinton, Sly Stone, Barry White are a few others. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Teddy Riley I believe had formal training.-I looked on Wikipedia and it seems like he learned in Church. Oh well add him to the list too.

Correct me if i'm wrong but...The Neptunes? Scott Storch? B. Cox? Dr. Luke? lol

Last edited:
He may not be a producer, but Ray Charles was classically trained. Drumma Boy, Zaytoven, DJ Bandcamp, etc... Most people don't exactly put it out there whether they took lessons or not, because truthfully it doesn't matter. What matters is the end product.

He may not be a producer, but Ray Charles was classically trained. Drumma Boy, Zaytoven, DJ Bandcamp, etc... Most people don't exactly put it out there whether they took lessons or not, because truthfully it doesn't matter. What matters is the end product.
Ray Charles was also a mean sax player. too.

Back