Stat Quo: 50 Cent Leaving Interscope Was Smart & Breaks Down The Independent Game

I'm just an observant spectator. I saw rappers flaunting their wealth while on majors after working hard. I just dont see the same success with artists on the independent level with the exception of Tech Nine. I'm one of the dudes that say fuk the hearsay, show me results.

but most those artists bragging about Bentleys, Rolex and Ciroc have to return the Bentley when the rental time is up, don't realize a Rolex is not a high class watch and have to borrow money to pay for the $500 bottles of Ciroc at the club. It is all a front, most are broker than you or I.

but most those artists bragging about Bentleys, Rolex and Ciroc have to return the Bentley when the rental time is up, don't realize a Rolex is not a high class watch and have to borrow money to pay for the $500 bottles of Ciroc at the club. It is all a front, most are broker than you or I.

I'm not talking about spending habits. I'm talking about the fact they had cash to spend(even though it was a loan) whereas the independent game, there's no dough to use as a down payment for a house, car etc... The world revolves around credit so you're label lending you the cash is the same thing that the banks did to home owners, the same way you purchase cars etc...

Last edited:
I'm not talking about spending habits. I'm talking about the fact they had cash to spend(even though it was a loan) whereas the independent game, there's no dough to use as a down payment for a house, car etc... The world revolves around credit so you're label lending you the cash is the same thing that the banks did to home owners, the same way you purchase cars etc...

Better get a job then.

Seriously you are talking the fast way to status not the lasting way to status. I can hand you 100k right now, but if you never had 100k and never had an honest need for 100k to live off of then why suddenly you need all this other shit...that is the trap right there, that is how they get you.

If I take 50k and cut an album, buy me a half decent used Honda, and some decent clothes I will still have a record cut and released potentially bringing me money and not be in debt to anyone but myself. Win or lose it is on me and how tightly I keep my head screwed on. If I run out and buy the hip-hop starters kit then I am f*cked from the word go, and that is the mentality that is killing people right and left.

Better get a job then.

Seriously you are talking the fast way to status not the lasting way to status. I can hand you 100k right now, but if you never had 100k and never had an honest need for 100k to live off of then why suddenly you need all this other shit...that is the trap right there, that is how they get you.

If I take 50k and cut an album, buy me a half decent used Honda, and some decent clothes I will still have a record cut and released potentially bringing me money and not be in debt to anyone but myself. Win or lose it is on me and how tightly I keep my head screwed on. If I run out and buy the hip-hop starters kit then I am f*cked from the word go, and that is the mentality that is killing people right and left.

Some view a house as necsessity because you own it once the equity is paid, you can write off the early years of the loan and you wont have to pay rent the rest of your life. I rather put that 50K on a 200k house, and record the album for 5k. With technology these days, someone with an in house recording studio would glady appreciate them 5 racks in today's brutal economy.

Last edited:
What you are failing to see is that the 50k you use wisely and keeps you living within your means is the larger payoff if you get your music to market and it sells.

With that 50k you can pay up your rent, put gas in the car, wear decent clothes, eat well and still be able to spend the time and energy promoting yourself for a while. Once returns start coming in you will be able to see what you are earning which gives you a realistic house budget as well as what your tax burden on that house will be. Go ahead and buy a 500k house, but when you have a 10k tax bill each year you can't afford suddenly its hindsight telling you ya should have stayed grounded.

What you are failing to see is that the 50k you use wisely and keeps you living within your means is the larger payoff if you get your music to market and it sells.

With that 50k you can pay up your rent, put gas in the car, wear decent clothes, eat well and still be able to spend the time and energy promoting yourself for a while. Once returns start coming in you will be able to see what you are earning which gives you a realistic house budget as well as what your tax burden on that house will be. Go ahead and buy a 500k house, but when you have a 10k tax bill each year you can't afford suddenly its hindsight telling you ya should have stayed grounded.

Someone who plays 800/montly rent will pay $9600 a year which isnt tax deductible. See why intelligent folks buy homes?

Someone who plays 800/montly rent will pay $9600 a year which isnt tax deductible. See why intelligent folks buy homes?
I own a home paid for, but I waited for returns to come in so I didn't screw myself in the long run. I am speaking from a certain amount of btdt.

I own a home paid for, but I waited for returns to come in so I didn't screw myself in the long run. I am speaking from a certain amount of btdt.

The funny thing is i currently rent but I'm aware of home ownership's advantages. Wife and kids aint waiting for Itune sales to pickup or waiting to know when you're next $1500.00 show is. Bills accumulate monthly. My uncle is 51 years and has been an independent rapper for 25 years still looking for his big break. In the meantime, his wife is the one who paid the mortage every month while he insisted every year this year would be the year. There are no guarantees in the music industry but them bills are relentless and you still have to be realistic in your pursuit of a dream.

Last edited:
At that age my guess is his window is closed and should move on to something else in the music field like production or sound engineering. Only guy I know that broke out at that age was DJ Kool and even then he didn't stay in the light very long....no offense meant at all by that.Even at the local level though you are making money on your music and honing your craft. Granted its not your full time job but you are still getting paid over and above you 9-5 grind which is like bonus money if you are smart with it.

In the end, whether you are signed to a label or not the only thing that matters is your financial intelligence. You can be an indie making less than a major artist but now how to manage finances and you can be a major artist making more and foolishly spending.

It all comes down to drive... a person with drive, signed or unsigned will find the way... it's inevitable. A person without will complain and want others to take care of them.

Not everyone is meant to be a lion.

I'm just an observant spectator. I saw rappers flaunting their wealth while on majors after working hard. I just dont see the same success with artists on the independent level with the exception of Tech Nine. I'm one of the dudes that say fuk the hearsay, show me results. There's only so far you can go when you have to finance everything inpendently. The bigger issue is do you remain an indepent entity that produces projects with small profit gains forever or do you take it to the next level?

Jump to 6mins

I'd go indie any day....
Anyone can have the argument its a machine behind you...
But talent is gonna shine regardless...
N as you can see on the radio n videos these days.. I wouldnt call to many ppl talented...
- just a bunch of rap'n as niggas....

As far as following the trail alot of indie artist have their distribution thru the major labels...
Well b/c u dnt have a choice really (hard copy)...

Last edited:
I agree, even though i am a supporter of the indie grind, a major label is a celebrity building machine and there is no way an indie has those kind of resources to build something that strong.

The best bet for any artist is to sign to a major (if you are offered a deal) and work that system for a few years, let them build your celebrity and once they do and your contract is up? You go out on your own... you may lose the radio and all the "big" shit that comes with it, but your brand will be solidified.

That's why someone like 50, at this point in time, is in a unique position. We all need to pay attention to 50 from this point forward. He's either going to capitalize big time or he's going to shrink to the point where he's completely irrelevant.

Jay to a certain extent played the same game... he worked the major system for years and then landed that LiveNation deal.

Link to that Tech N9NE article if you find it, i tried looking for it but can't find it.

This guy gets it. I do have to add, this is the Roc Nation formula's core. Beyonce and Jay gettin it.

Last edited:

Jump to 6mins

I'd go indie any day....
Anyone can have the argument its a machine behind you...
But talent is gonna shine regardless...
N as you can see on the radio n videos these days.. I wouldnt call to many ppl talented...
- just a bunch of rap'n as niggas....

As far as following the trail alot of indie artist have their distribution thru the major labels...
Well b/c u dnt have a choice really (hard copy)...

Beans was able to purchase a house with that million advance . My point is credit is not a bad thing since that's what banks do anyway. Since Banks have a bad history of lending to minorties, these label loans gave rappers opportunities they would not have had otherwise. Those advances enabled rappers to purchase homes. Today's independent rapper using ITunes and Youtube may never get that opportunity to own a home. That's all I'm saying. I'm very much against 360 deals but I have to be honest and admit that i saw many rappers purchase homes who were on majors before 360 deals. There's a reason why artists like Nas,& Busta Rhymes havent just eliminated the labels entirely & its strictly financial. They have established their brands already so one would think all established artists would go the independent YouTube/Itunes route. Why do you think Busta hasnt just embraced this independent grind if it's so lucrative? He's more interested in that Cash Money major distribution route. So are Game and Bow Wow. . A few on here have a few delusions of grandeur about the independent game and may have to get real jobs one day. Like one person pointed out, 50 has a steady stream of income already.Let's see how many more homes Beanie purchases with his new independent grind. When I see rappers other than Mac Miller enjoying (Big Dog purchases, not some petty hand to hand sneaker money) the fruits of their labor from youtube and ITunes then I'll change my stance.

Last edited:
I agree, even though i am a supporter of the indie grind, a major label is a celebrity building machine and there is no way an indie has those kind of resources to build something that strong.

The best bet for any artist is to sign to a major (if you are offered a deal) and work that system for a few years, let them build your celebrity and once they do and your contract is up? You go out on your own... you may lose the radio and all the "big" shit that comes with it, but your brand will be solidified.

That's why someone like 50, at this point in time, is in a unique position. We all need to pay attention to 50 from this point forward. He's either going to capitalize big time or he's going to shrink to the point where he's completely irrelevant.

Jay to a certain extent played the same game... he worked the major system for years and then landed that LiveNation deal.

Link to that Tech N9NE article if you find it, i tried looking for it but can't find it.

The difference with Tech is he has a great CEO who has his best interest at heart. I saw his documentary. I wonder why other established artists such as Nas, Busta Rhymes and Common havent went this route.

The trick is, nowadays with an artist of 50's caliber, the distributor can be nothing but iTunes. Advertising can be nothing but putting your album on the front page of iTunes and ranting about it on twitter, instagram, and facebook. Videos can be created for way cheaper now, so you set up $10-20k worth of budget for a PROFESSIONAL VIDEO, drop it on youtube, get it on Vevo, and as 50 cent, you're doing everything for yourself for all the financial gain that a label would do for you right now.

If your goal is to make your art as ubiquitous as possible, why not?
I also see it as a momentum thing, if I happen to have a viral hit song, I could either drop all my own money and resources trying to keep people's attention or sign to a machine that would help me grow and maintain that momentum and marketplace demand on a larger scale than I ever could independently allowing me to focus 100% of my mindshare on my art? Almost all record labels are subsidiaries of larger entities...that means portability which can lead to potential revenue streams. Of course, none of that is going to come for free. Every system has winners and losers, no different than taking a loan for a private university liberal arts degree, then getting mad when you're on the hook for $100k with no means of paying it back because there's no demand for a history major.
In a perfect world, every artist with a vision could personally finance their own success story, make tons of $$$ and have millions of fans and a long, substantive career while thumbing their nose at the "man". Why exactly hasn't that happened yet? Probably because its much smarter and easier to lose on someone else's dime. Like the saying goes," zero of zero is still zero" (maybe I botched that saying, sorry) Why do you think we have venture capital firms?
Also, the "old" system still has its hold and power and I don't see that changing any time soon. There is a reason why, despite all his indie success, Tech 9ine still can't crack radio, despite having a fanbase that continually supports him, him and his partner lamented this fact in a recent issue of The Source (or XXL, I forgot, but someone should be able to find the article or a reference to it). Why would a successful indie like Strange Arts be concerned about the radio at this stage in the game? Because they know that radio play can possibly mean the difference between a few hundred thousand units sold and a couple million while Tech doesn't have to change a thing about his sound. Unfortunately, you still need a major label marketing budget to crack radio.

there have been plenty of indies that get radio play and top 40 hits. Tech9 isn't a hitmaker and apparently doesn't realize it. If he makes a hit song it'll be all over radio.

there have been plenty of indies that get radio play and top 40 hits. Tech9 isn't a hitmaker and apparently doesn't realize it. If he makes a hit song it'll be all over radio.

I thought it was pretty much established that you'd need a major for
radio spins and the chance of you hitting #1 (or really anywhere near the top 40)
on some small label is incredibly LOW.

Someone already said it in this thread, Majors give you one BIG thing over being on
an independent label and that is VISIBILITY.
They can get you interviews, televised performances, radio play all across the nation etc.
They do a lot of the foot work that an independent artist can't hope to do or may never get a chance to do.

One of my favorite independent artists who's moderately successful had to move away
from doing things entirely himself and hire on a manager to handle his business
because scheduling interviews, booking shows, getting hotels, transportation etc.
is incredibly difficult when you're also trying to get projects finished and sent off.

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty much established that you'd need a major for
radio spins and the chance of you hitting #1 (or really anywhere near the top 40)
on some small label is incredibly LOW.

Someone already said it in this thread, Majors give you one BIG thing over being on
an independent label and that is VISIBILITY.
They can get you interviews, televised performances, radio play all across the nation etc.
They do a lot of the foot work that an independent artist can't hope to do or may never get a chance to do.

One of my favorite independent artists who's moderately successful had to move away
from doing things entirely himself and hire on a manager to handle his business
because scheduling interviews, booking shows, getting hotels, transportation etc.
is incredibly difficult when you're also trying to get projects finished and sent off.

You don't need a label to get spins, you need to find a station to play it and thats where your grind comes in or your street team. The issue where a label comes in is that you have Clear Channel owning most of the stations so if your track doesn't Soundscan it never gets played no matter what, so you have to find independent stations (usually college radio) to blow your ish out. Mainstream radio has too many restrictions to the artist as a whole so radio play doesn't mean good music worth the consumption to anyone but the bean counters who know nothing but numbers.

You are right about a label giving you visibility, but a person who skips the bullshit and reinvests in themselves can also make the same things happen, but it takes a solid dedicated team to do it while the artist focuses mainly on writing, recording and showing up for shows and interviews no matter how big or small they are.

The difference with Tech is he has a great CEO who has his best interest at heart. I saw his documentary. I wonder why other established artists such as Nas, Busta Rhymes and Common havent went this route.

Because they probably don't want to deal with the responsibility. Some artists don't want to deal with the business side of things, they just want to make music.

I remember watching Jada and Styles on Power 105 a few weeks ago and was surprised when i heard Jada say he prefers a record label to maneuver his career, while Styles made it clear that he didn't like it and prefers when he does things himself.

Last edited:
Back