Something To Spark The Musical Brain

901_Rice_Street

Rice AKA Clyde Drexler
Alright yall know I'm crazy right? O.K........so I was listening to some old school bass music in my speakers and then the headphones and one of the albums I noticed was full of sounds panning left and right. I paid attention to it closely because I usually focus my attention on the lovely bass quaking. It's old so it's not pushed to the high loudness of today in some music....so I cranked it up louder than what I normally do. SOOOO.......I went to some of my favorite (not so new but still kind of new) music. Here is where my craziness kicks in...........I'm listening to music and after about the third song I cut the music off quick. My heart beating fast......"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........DAMMIT I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE BLASTED BASS SONGS LOUD WITH HEADPHONES...WHAT AM I THINKING...PLEEEEASE LORD LET IT BE SOMETHING ELSE!!!!" I felt like I could barely hear music in the right ear......like my headphones were going bad or something. So I went into reason and pull up a sine wave to check my headphones......everything cool (learned something new just from that alone). So I went back to those same songs.....SAME THING WAS HAPPENING!!!! "O.K.....must just be coincidence that there is less activity going on in my right ear with those songs. I went to some live recorded music and was relieved. Went back to the bass songs and was relieved but not fully. Now I'm feeling funny because when I listen to music in headphones now I find myself focusing on the left ear.

But anyway......that happen and it made me ask myself...........is music in headphones stronger in the left ear or am I just going crazier than I already am? I'm still popping my ears as I type. lol! I need to go sleep. So I asked that and went to google it.

Is the left ear better at listening to music than the right ear

So I would love to have a discussion with you all about it. People who went to school for his type of stuff or did their own research on it is very welcome to join. I know this is going to help me a lot....just the experience of thinking I lost my headphones and preparing to get a new pair. I already lost my Sonys....but they lasted me 10 years...they lived a good long life....I miss them...going to buy another pair.

Another interesting read. I think I want to go to school for something................don't know what to take..... psychology?
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/content/latest-questions/question/3079/

Last edited:
protect you ears sir... there was a guy who had lost hearing in one of his ears when his dog barked super loud right in his ear he had to sell his equipment because he said..

like a athlete needs to drink water while doing his sport when need to rest our ears,play music at a reasonable level.. I have it bad in the car playing music loud even at 5:30a.m. on the way to work
H.E.A.R. | Hearing Education and Awareness for Rockers | www.hearnet.com

One for free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

there's always talks like this on Gearslutz.com
all kinds of super tech. discussion
components in all kinds of crazy high end gears
modifying your own equipment
nice thread Rice time for some high-end discussion in the gossip section

One for free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

protect you ears sir... there was a guy who had lost hearing in one of his ears when his dog barked super loud right in his ear he had to sell his equipment because he said..

I must have golden ears. :) I've ruined my ears for over 20 something years with bass. I used to bump so hard I thought bass was good for the ears because they seem to open up.

Man...and the many times my ESQ1 let out a loud sound out of the blue............wow! But yeah I listen at a safe level all the time. I mostly listen to music on computer speakers for enjoyment instead of the studio equipment. It's crazy but I feel like I'm listening to music like normal people do, so it's like a pleasure listening to these old computer speakers.

Well I noticed that I hear better with my left ear. I've actually tested this once by having only one ear bud in my left ear, then only one in my right ear. I seemed to hear louder in my left, but I also had an ear infection in my right ear as a child so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. However, I find myself asking people to repeat things though so it might just be me lol Shit! I might actually be losing my hearing! :bigeyes:

My guess would be you have stumbled onto the Franssen effect.

Your perception of Bass music also depends on your speakers, like if I hook up my SH-2 to a trigger output of my TR-808 and play that shit through my system tomorrows newspaper will be full of reports about mass whale beachings, but on your system you might not be able to reproduce anything except overtones.

I think there's a simple explanation to this...

You may have your headphone closer to your ear drum, than the other... If that makes sense... E.G. One of your ears is slightly bigger than the other... Depending on the type of headphones you've been wearing it's easier to understand. If you've been using ear buds, like the old headphones, or the new ones that go deep inside your ear, then it's most likely the fact one ear is bigger than the other, and one bud is further in than the other. If it's actual studio headphones then it could be the same, perhaps your ear drum is placed further out than the other side, etc. Nothing to be really worried about I'm sure... Also, if you have any history of ear troubles, like an ear infection, that could be the cause...

P.S. Stay off the weed for a while LOL

So it's understood....I haven't smoked weed in 15 years.:D But it's more of a mix discussion. For example.......when you add a chorus effect on a mono synth....in the headphones it appears to be heard more dominately on the left side of the headphones (for me)......so a song with a lot of stereo based reverbs and chorus effects, you will most likely not notice anything going on the right side except a softer version of what's on the left. It's different in speakers......your not listening in stereo anyway when your not in your normal mixing sweet spot. When you step outside the door of where the speakers are then you are hearing the music more in mono.....you can't tell if a lead was panned hard left or right.

With that said, a lot of today's music in a lot of genres are using the same fx, the fx are created in the same matter, so explains it for most music that are strongly based on these romplers with preset effects. This thread should also make you want to listen to music in that way. Listen to the motown style of mixing, the drums are on one side hard, the instruments are on the other side hard, and the vocals are right in the middle.

HERE IS A TEST THAT MIGHT DRIVE YOU CRAZY LIKE ME. COME ON.....BECOME A MUTANT LIKE!! lol Must have good headphones!

Listen to this hole song.

Tell me which side of your headphones feels empty. Focus left only and then right only.

Yeah....you would go crazy to after listing to this.

Last edited:
yeah its always been like that with me too.

the left side seems more bright and colorful. the right is dull.

I always thought it was just me.. It seems to be slightly brighter in the left for me too... this might be due to a number things... do you sleep on your side? is one ear larger than the other? more ear wax clogging in one side than the other? One ear has a minor infection... Lol who knows.

Back