Record Sales And Success

Legal Dollaz

In 2012 its safe to say that album/single sales is no longer the absolute barometer of 'success' in the music business. Long gone are the days when an artist was automatically deemed not successful if he never dropped an official album or if he did and sold less than Gold. So what is the line (if any at all) between having a 'buzz' and being on the 'come up' vs actually being officially titled as a success in the business?

The only advantage I see of officially having success the traditional route (e.g. album sales) is having numbers to back up your buzz. You have proof that you have a fan base that rewards you and your investors financially. This usually leads to greater support and opportunities e.g. more radio and TV support, more endorsements ect.

If someone with a buzz could find another way to prove they financially rewarding fan base, he could enjoy the same benefits. But that's easier said than done. Most of their numbers are not really respected by powers that be. E.g. youtube plays and mixtape downloads, are not really concrete proof that you have a fan base that would support you; especially compared to having a number 1 album on billboard.

But what still confuses me is why sell out shows is also not accepted. There are many indie artists that sell out shows all over the country but companies and the media don't care about them. Maybe because shows mostly benefit the artist, so companies and media don't really care since there isn't that much in it for them? I don't know.

what is the line (if any at all) between having a 'buzz' and being on the 'come up' vs actually being officially titled as a success in the business?

whether you're SIGNED or not.

...that's pretty much it...

SIGNED = SUCCESS

with the X-FACTOR being WHO you're signed to

The only advantage I see of officially having success the traditional route (e.g. album sales) is having numbers to back up your buzz. You have proof that you have a fan base that rewards you and your investors financially. This usually leads to greater support and opportunities e.g. more radio and TV support, more endorsements ect.

If someone with a buzz could find another way to prove they financially rewarding fan base, he could enjoy the same benefits. But that's easier said than done. Most of their numbers are not really respected by powers that be. E.g. youtube plays and mixtape downloads, are not really concrete proof that you have a fan base that would support you; especially compared to having a number 1 album on billboard.

But what still confuses me is why sell out shows is also not accepted. There are many indie artists that sell out shows all over the country but companies and the media don't care about them. Maybe because shows mostly benefit the artist, so companies and media don't really care since there isn't that much in it for them? I don't know.

well if the company advertises at the music event their brand in front thousands of ppl
they could showcase new products in booth..but this seems to be more of a music festival kind of thing and would have to a certain number of performers

Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve​

Last edited:
I think most people look to that little trophy on Datpiff that tracks downloads as the barometer of their success.

"Man, he got 500,000 downloads! People are feeling him!"

vs

"Man, he got 200 downloads, he wack..."

Eventually, SALES won't even be mentioned along with music. It'll just be downloads. Sort of like how they mention how many views a YouTube vid gets. That will all translate to exposure as people go to see what the fuss is about. It'll be up to the artist to monetize that fuss. They'll have to get talk show appearances to shout out tour dates, they'll have to try to get shoe deals, they'll have to work with other aspiring entrepreneurs and be the face of their product. Big companies like Sprite and Pepsi are becoming rapper friendly. Plus Diddy, Magic Johnson and TV One are all ramping up programming that'll cater to the younguns because Xfinity is giving them channels soon.

Downloads were bound to replace SALES when Napster reared it's ugly head. If you're getting a ton of downloads (in the future), look for the phone to start ringing. People will want to associate your success with their success.

Chief Keef caught a buzz and Birdman wanted to sign him. How many records did Chief Keef sell? How many views / downloads did he get? Did he get on Birdman's radar from sales or views / downloads?

Artists will no longer be artists, they'll be advertising vehicles. "Wear our watch...", "Hock our soda...",...

With all of that said... there will be more places for the regular old beatmaker to get his music displayed. Diddy and Magic will have TV channels... they're going to need music on it. They are just the first ones, if they see success... look for Xfinity to reach out to more proven business men from urban culture.

I can even foresee companies saying "If you can reach 250,000 views and wear our product Young Flame Grenade Machete'... we'll give you $10,000"

P.S.: Downloads may not matter much after awhile since everything is going to streaming. Maybe only views will matter.

You can also do what Boondock did... if you're getting a ton of views / downloads and you're promoting a product (wearing their clothes or using their gear or whatever) contact 'em and see what's in it for you. Getting some kickbacks from these companies is sort of a "successful" thing.

Get your views / downloads / streams up... you might end up on a REAL song like Flo Rida or somebody. A song that's going to set you up on a higher level. Your BUZZ... is views / downloads / streams.

Last edited:

Yes god forbid if pure traditional indy acts like the Kottonmouth Kingz or Immortal Technique based purely on show revenue were to be perceived as more successful than your average major label signed act that couldn't fill a 2000 seat venue unless the bill has him plus 12 other acts (similar to these albums which are filled to the brim with guest features) then the gig would be up. We're only now starting to see the show/tour money angle being pushed up once the labels started taking a piece of that action

@Rome

Solid post. So lets zoom in on the Chief Keef situation; is he right at this moment considered a 'success' or does he have a great buzz and whether he's successful or not has yet to be determined?

In other words in 2012 has BUZZ replaced RECORD SALES in regards to determining if someone has 'made it'?

Last edited:
god forbid if pure traditional indy acts like the Kottonmouth Kingz or Immortal Technique based purely on show revenue were to be perceived as more successful than your average major label signed act that couldn't fill a 2000 seat venue unless the bill has him plus 12 other acts

right.

smoke and mirrors...smoke and mirrors.

One's perception is their reality.

Someone may perceive Chief Keef as being successful.

But is he turning that "success" into $$$????

Is he doing shows? Is he selling merch? Is he getting ad revenue from all those youtube hits? Is he selling mix tapes?

Is he making MONEY from his music???

A call from Birdman saying "I want to sign you" means nothing...until the check clears.

(similar to these albums which are filled to the brim with guest features)

damn this post is SO laced with gizzame

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

We're only now starting to see the show/tour money angle being pushed up once the labels started taking a piece of that action

wow, sir...the MATRIX is definitely the HATRIX

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

is he right at this moment considered a 'success'

YES...overall.

once the dotted line gets signed, you're BASICALLY a success.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

in 2012 has BUZZ replaced RECORD SALES in regards to determining if someone has 'made it'?

not yet 100%, but basically, yeah.

BUZZ and a SIGNATURE...yup...then just go straight to TOUR.

no need to sell records anymore... sell out stadiums - that's 2012, sir.

Which of these gets your mortgage paid off, yo kids thru good schools, and health care for all immediate family members? Buzz, Signed, or Shows?

great thread, btw...a breath of fresh air up in this joint

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Which of these gets your mortgage paid off, yo kids thru good schools, and health care for all immediate family members? Buzz, Signed, or Shows?

they all work in tandem, sir.

you ain't got no buzz, ain't nobody gonna be at your show.

ain't signed? even LESS people at your show.

@Rome

Solid post. So lets zoom in on the Chief Keef situation; is he right at this moment considered a 'success' or does he have a great buzz and whether he's successful or not has yet to be determined?

In other words in 2012 has BUZZ replaced RECORD SALES in regards to determining if someone has 'made it'?

I wouldn't call him successful yet unless he can keep the flame lit like Drake or J. Cole. Two guys who were once in his shoes (internet sensations) and are now almost household names. They are definitely "street" names.

I've only heard the "I don't like" song by Chief Keef, so his views and buzz took him to the next level to where he'll no longer just be an HD Cam / Youtube guy, he'll be promoted alongside and featured with artists like Lil Wayne, Drake, Mystikal, Ace Hood on Cash Money Records.

I remember Outkast said that BabyFace made them perform and he was there in a white suit trying gauge crowd response and reaction. The interviewer asked him "If they didn't scream you wouldn't have gotten a deal?" and Big Boi said "No, we wouldn't have gotten a deal" Now it seems views are the new screams (or boos). The ultimate "success" is still to see if someone like Chief Keef can transcend Youtube and keep doing it consistently.

These guys fall into these situations where they are handed the baton and they can either run the race at full sprint or the go sit in the bleachers and talk about how funny somebody else looks when they're running.

There will be more Chief Keef's and there will be an abundance of them. When Soulja Boi did the same thing years ago with Crank Dat... everything was too new. There were no 4G phones, no ipads, no Android tablets. Now with streaming media people are going to tune in to indie vids and tube sites.

The only reason some vids on Tube sites get so many hits is because of the number of hits that are already on that vid. Everybody wants to be in the know, so they click on the vids with the highest view counts. The people in those vids get exposed to more eyes which creates more "buzz" and if the right people see those vids (Birdman), it could lead to bigger things.

People will begin to brag on views, downloads and streams as if they were SALES.

The only problem is that the Tube sites are all so disassociated that I don't think people even know how many views, downloads and streams they really have. People repost vids to bring traffic to their personal sites and the artist never even know about them. I posted a vid of a guy rapping on his porch and it was blowing up. I looked on Youtube at one channel and it was at over 100,000. I looked on a lesser known YouTube channel and the same vid only had 150 hits.

Somebody is going to figure it all out pretty soon and the views, downloads, and streams will eventually mean "people are paying attention to you, who are you and how can we be down?".

Award show will start to sound like this "Over 500,000 views, over 250,000 downloads of his mixtape and 600,000 streams and 300,000 followers on Twitter! We give you Young Flame Grenade Machete' Killa 209 Stockon Stompa!!!!"

^^^ That will be the gauge as to whether or not people are interested in seeing someone because there will not be but about 1000 paid buys of his official record.

Concerts, club appearances, product endorsements will be his only $. Not record sales. He'll probably have "a clothing line", "hats", or whatever other merchandise he can hock.

It'll take awhile but somebody is going to tie it all together.

I got four free mixtapes the other day. Meek Mill, D.P.G., and two more I can't even remember. If it were back in the day and I were a paying customer... I would be in the store with 4 CD's trying to figure out which TWO to buy.

I guess it's like the Sundance Film Festival with mixtapes... they make a movie, people watch it for free, somebody likes it, they say HOORAY because a movie studio wants to feed off that buzz they created.

When all of the phone carriers are forced to offer unlimited 4G streaming due to competition... downloads will go away. How many streams or "clicks" someone gets will be the measure of success... positive vs. negative comments will also come into play as to whether something is a hit or miss.

I just can't bring myself to buy a record now-a-days... sad.

Rome: "We give you Young Flame Grenade Machete' Killa 209 Stockon Stompa!!!!" I'm going home now.

p.s.: Most local cats (if they never blew up and few who did) become teachers when they get older (30+) and maybe do local gigs on the weekends. The show, promotion, a lot stuff ya'll talking bout gets old if you never blow. I'm not dissing anybodies dream, I'm just saying your plan will be adjusted based on your age and family situation. Stable income and health insurance are important. I'm done with my ol man rant. :sigh:

whether you're SIGNED or not.

...that's pretty much it...

SIGNED = SUCCESS

with the X-FACTOR being WHO you're signed to

gotta disagree. I say success is proven by if the kids know who you are. That's when you're deemed successful. ask a kid 5-19 who tech n9ne is and I bet my left nut most of em won't know who that is. Ask them who Diggy Simmons is and instantly every single one of em knows who it is. It's the youth who decides success. Not record sales, ticket sales or even advertising. It's getting those young folks to like you.

I put that above all $19.99 beat sales.

right steady checks and do music business stuff on the side
and lol @hock
and Lecrae got a new mixtape coming out tomorrow
this breaks down all the stuff you think Romey Rome check it out but you have to listen to the whole thing to get the point
who the guy walking with Lecrae saying "South by Southwest"????

and lol @hock
this breaks down all the stuff you think Romey Rome check it out but you have to listen to the whole thing to get the point

Looks like 9th. Tone i hope you getting a cut, they way you be pushing this cat. :)

Looks like 9th. Tone i hope you getting a cut, they way you be pushing this cat. :)

it's all a part of sharing those who rep. Christ in rap ...so I happy to do it...it just natural
and plus I need to push my genre that I plan on making music in ya know!!!

and lol @hock

I'm going to check out that mixtape. Can't really get with the negativity in Hip Hop anymore.

Back