Rapping tips PLEASE HELP ME!?

*Chivo*

I can't seem to pronounce right when I rap. Most people can't understand what I'm saying and think I'm rapping in another language lol.

I'm 18.It's funny cuz I pronounce clear when I talk but when I try to flow right to a beat, people don't understand me.

there's a short clip of me rapping to my lyrics. please HELP ME! I want to be a pro someday.

learn your rhymes..do not record vocals reading off paper..relax..take it slow

Que bon rappeur, mon ami!!

Because of your name, I expected you to sound Hispanic, but you sound French and like your drunk. I don't know man, it got harder to understand as time went on. No offence. Keep practicing. I hope you get better.

Memorize your verse before you record

Try to speak as if your speaking with confidence to another person (on beat of course)

Relax and stay on rhythm. Its like you were chasing the beat

***** Biggest problem is your putting WAY too many syllables in each line. You can do one of two things. One is simplify your rhymes until you can develop a simpler flow.

Or you can use more internal rhymes. Meaning the multiple syllables rhyme with each other rather then clashing with each other. The best example is Eminem. Its alot harder to do but if you can learn to do it, while recording it will roll of your tongue a WHOLE lot better. Plus it will sound better to fans.

But i would say just lessen to the amount of syllables in your lines and make them less complex and develop a smoother flow

Last edited:
You're trying too hard. You should rap more for lyric content and emphasis rather than flow... think RBX... you're not Technine, Rakim, Canibus, Busta, ... you could get in the... Keith Murray, Game, lane...

Slow dowwwwnnn... and actually say something...

Last edited by a moderator:
it sounds better..you still need to slow it down and practice pronunciating each word ..memorize you rhymes so you have it in your head and just have to focus on giving it feeling..when you rhyme off paper,your focus is on your eyes tryna keep up with paper and if you lose your place,you're fukd..you might have to go a whole day or two reciting the rhyme to yourself until you got it down pat

did you call shorty a 'stupid fuk' ? lol .. and you're tryna get her back? lol..

Yeah man....you def sound East European...and that beat sounded like Christmas in 1997...I can see a dude walking in slow motion down a hill with children following him.

lmao reading off a paper isnt bad i usually write down in my laptop and read off there u just need more experience. i used to rap with a helluva lisp for sum reason even tho i talked perfectly normal. after examining flows of lloyd banks and cassie (they were hot at the time) i got better with shortening bars and i abandoned the complicating rhyme schemes and big words til i mastered the flow. once u know to end the rhyme on the fourth beat, or the 2nd snare u should b good. jus count the beats if u know how.

what u should do is first focus on flow...what does the beat make u feel?...when u are writing...when listening to the beat...just freestyle but dont say any words....just like when u dont really know a song but u sing it anyway?....that's exactly what u need to do...the break on the roots song "give it here" is a perfect example...that's exactly what black thought is doing....it's just that he submitted an incomplete track and the record company told them to keep it like that.....

count your sylabbles...even the pauses...when i was rapping i tried to average around 10 syllables a bar as a rough estimate and i would adjust it according to tempo...(and no...i wouldn't actually count...but if something aint feel or sound right i would count teh syllables and most times i was trying to jam too many words into a bar)

Na, seriously, fam, what country are you from? It ain't UK, USA, Aus, Can, NZ, SA. You may live in an English-speaking country, but you or your family are from another country originally.

Either that or you have deaf parents or guardians - not as a cuss, but if you grow up hearing how deafmutes talk, the kid will imitate their "fuzzy", "hazy", unprecise pronunciation.

Or maybe you have a speech impediment? Can you upload a clip of you speaking English???

I can't think of any other reason why, when a mic is under your nose, you sound Ukranian, French, anything but English.

I wonder if this dude is Speak The Hungar..naa, that's low. I won't do it.

I know exactly what you're doing that's messing you up. You are trying hard to sound a certain way. That is what we are hearing.

The problem is, you haven't figured out how to physically shape your mouth to keep the same pronunciation you have as you talk as you rap (which in return, makes you stretch and slur your lyrics).

Go through and read your lyrics slowly. On each word, play with the way you shape you mouth and tongue placement on each syllable.

After each word, connect the previous words using the same mouth shape, tongue position, and breath support.

This is what it's going to take for you to stop doing that because you have now probably developed a bad habit. This is a way to start coaching your body to make that dissapear.

After you start figuring out how you need to shape your own body to say certain vowels and consonants, you will learn to start developing your own "swag" to everything you say because you've learned exactly how to control your flow. You know how you're going to sound before the sound comes out.

Doesn't take long to learn if you practice 20 minutes or more a day.

Also, your rapping should be as comfortable as you talking. Not saying it should sound like you're talking. I'm saying even though you sound different when you rap (raspier, deeper, airy, whatever), your body should be producing the sound just as effortlessly as your body does when you are normally speaking.

To be honest, some people don't even speak right and stress too much when they speak. You can hear it. You'll find out fast that you can change your tone, pitch and volume easier by simply changing the way you shape the inside of your mouth and how you support your breaths.

Keep the inside of the mouth as wide open as possible without opening your mouth (like you're yawning). Now, you have room to work with pronouncing your lyrics the way you want. Keep the tip of your tongue behind the bottom row of your teeth to allow air to flow out smoother.

Hope that helps

Dont force it..

You said you sound alright when you talkin..so talk on your raps just with more energy.

Then slowly increase the energy levels till you reach sumthin you happy with.

be easy

Last edited:
how do you get to Carnegie Hall?

practice

but it sounds like your breath control needs work. like you are running out of air. If you got money, I'll get an opera coach. seriously. nobody is better at projecting and breathing than opera singers. If an opera singer raps, i'm sure the can go 64 bars with out taking a beath.

but realistically start running. build up that cardio. and after a while start rapping has you are running. If you can spit and sprint at the same time and do it clear and loud and have control over your breath. doing shows will be a cake walk. hell you may not even need a mic for really small venues

I just relistened. Seriously, what country are you originally from? Plus the beat is...well, pay attention to the bells and shakers that go out of sync.

im working on it so more...

Hey again. So I'm taking all your tips and working on my rapping voice some more. Keep it coming yo.

lol @ GST....dude my rapping must be really messed up cuz i said fuss not fuk lol

@Biggrome ...yeah man I like the way the Game raps too, might go some style dat way.

y'all are right I need to not force it and I think 'Nova entertainment' hit rite on da head too so ima do that too.

and @ the_agx...both my parents are latino foreign born and im american born and raised.
Ya'll can check how my normal voice is @ attachments.

MORE HELP IS WELCOMED

P.S. I'm thinking too I should remove dem bells but keep da beat cuz seems like everybody is annoyed by them lol

Last edited:
The second was better then the first but of course it still needs work.

Like someone said develop breath could help.

Overall I still think your not being relaxed enough. I dont know whether or not your reading but it SOUNDS like you are. It should sound as if your talking to the girl your rapping about except that it happens to be on beat. For example listen to Jay-Z's Song Cry.

It almost feels as if he's having a conversation with the listener. You have to speak with a tone and enough confidence to hold the listeners attention. It sounds as if your just trying to get through the verse rather then trying to give the listener a story if you know what i mean...... Let me put it like this, every verse has to sound almost as if its spontaneous.

But i heard your audio of you talking and the verse does sound well written. Just work on the flow and you'll something good

Its cos your putting a rapping voice on like someone said before its as if your trying to rip a flow of a different rapper and put it over your beat and its just not working, your flowing far to fast over that. Fit your flow to the beat, memorise your verse, relax and just flow, try turning the beat up in the phones aswell but not too much.

As for that beat, definately take out the christmas bells, they dont suit the beat anyway. But the rest is ok, keep the longer tinkling thing (probably a proper name for it but I dont know) there and it will sound pretty good.

Back