Rap and Hip Hop

zionchild77

John G
Wassup Everybody,
Okay, I know this is going to sound like a dumb question but I've gotta ask it. Okay, A lot of people call it Rap and A lot of people call it Hip Hop. Now to me, Hip Hop, is that hard core East Coast Straight out of the Bronx New York Flavor where there seems to be more of an emphasis on the lyrical side than the beat side. And Rap, is everything else, West Coast, Dirty South, etc., where in most cases it's just the opposite where there seems to be more focus on the beat. Or do you think it's all the same. So what's your take on this.
Zionchild

i see it as hip hop is not just the music hip hop is a culture a way of life rap rythem and poetry is the music we listen too

Hip Hop is New York City, Street urban music is separated by state and sometimes city

Crunk
Snap
Screw
Rap
Gangsta Rap

etc etc

The four elements of hip hop are Graffiti, MCing, DJing & Breakdancing

If you want it classified all in one group just call it Street Music

Last edited by a moderator:
s2kcord said:

Not to be rude, but there are 5 original elements of hip-hop. The elements do need to be redefined though... Here's the original 5...

MC's, DJ's, Break Dancing, Graffiti and the forgotten art of the Beat-Box

Here's what it needs to be...
Music, Dancing, Art, Fashion, Sports and Language

Even though It sounds kinda plain, it's covers every aspect of hip-hop..

Last edited by a moderator:
s2kcord said:
Hip Hop is New York City, Street urban music is separated by state and sometimes city

Crunk
Snap
Screw
Rap
Gangsta Rap

etc etc

You are correct.

s2kcord said:

Crunk
Snap
Screw
Rap
Gangsta Rap

etc etc

so dr.dre doesn't do hip-hop?

listen to the song Imagine(snoop and dre)...

and edit your post:p

Patrizio said:
Not to be rude, but there are 5 original elements of hip-hop. The elements do need to be redefined though... Here's the original 5...

MC's, DJ's, Break Dancing, Graffiti and the forgotten art of the beat-box

Here's what it needs to be...
Music, Dancing, Art, Fashion, Sports and Language

Even though It sounds kinda plain, it's covers every aspect of hip-hop..
Thats a real working definition... Too many dudes are still stuck in the 80's... No one Breakdances anymore.:(

Soulful-Alibaster said:
Thats a real working definition... Too many dudes are still stuck in the 80's... No one Breakdances anymore.:(

That's what I was afraid of... The purists wouldn't accept the fact that breaking isn't apart of hip-hop anymore, but in reality it is.... It will always be hip-hop's first form of dance...... Breaking will go under the dance element of hip-hop...

There is more to hip-hop dancing then breaking......

Uhhh....

Hey man..how West Coast get sweeped into the 'rap' side..LOL. Pac was just rap? Digital Underground? DJ Quik? Rap??? Sounds like 100% percent authentic hip-hop/street music to me. I would say 'rap' is making what would be hip-hop void of any cultural (hip-hop culture) motivation, influence or affiliation.

yo is everybody serious????

hip hop and rap isnt split up by the cities and states....hip hop is the culture(mc,dj,breakdancing,grafitti)rap is the hip hop culture's form of music,including poetry and spoken word

Freezo said:
Hey man..how West Coast get sweeped into the 'rap' side..LOL. Pac was just rap? Digital Underground? DJ Quik? Rap??? Sounds like 100% percent authentic hip-hop/street music to me. I would say 'rap' is making what would be hip-hop void of any cultural (hip-hop culture) motivation, influence or affiliation.

Ignore that post.... He's on some..... If it ain't from NY, then it aint hip-hop...

And the killing part is he's from The Boot.....

No matter how you feel, if they are rapping, then it's hip-hop. You can seperate and dissect it all you want.....

Back