Producers, where is the FUTURE (of RAP)?

(DC)

Where is the direction of RAP music going? What do you see now that you would like to happen more often with RAP music? Do you enjoy different "blends" of rap (Electro/House/Rock)? Anything along those lines would fit the topic of conversation. In general, I am trying to hear from the "Future Producers" where they believe the future of RAP music is heading, and where they believe it SHOULD be heading.

(Note: Again, focusing on the aspects of the MUSIC itself, not the business.)

I look forward to hearing your commentary!
Dante

I'd love to see a balance of Lyrical Rap and southern rap. I don't mind Dance songs, I don't personally listen to them but I do think the game needs to have like a 50/50% balance of Southern and Lyrical Hip-Hop in terms of Sales and radio play.

cudi-wale1.jpg

My predictions:

1) Hip hop will become more high fashion (instead of thuggish)
2) More musical
3) More intelligent
4) More white rappers

As far as the beats are concerned, I see it heading more towards a trance/techno vibe. With the sounds that a lot of producers are using now, it seems to be becoming more commonplace.

its wherever you put it..its in your hands to contribute your part.

I'm 100% sure Hip-Hop is in the beginning stages of seperating into a conglomorate of sub-genres. Hip-Hop will never go back into regional mode, meaning, you'll never see the West or East dominate commercially ever again. The song and dance craze will fade in the next 2 years or so, alongside, Auto-Tuned choruses.With Eminem and Jay-Z dropping this year, I think Hip-Hop may be inspired to return to lyricism commercially. Hip-Hop has been so "robotic" these last two years, it wouldn't surprise me if we witnessed a resurgence of soul and jazz influenced Hip-Hop, in fact, I'm certain the genre will pursue this course. More of an organic swing in the music is inevitable.Dance or Electro-Hop will become more prevalent on the club scene but may fizzle commercially. Only time will tell at this point.

I hope it will remain diverse, yet not be afraid to expand into new sounds. I love the ish comin from the South in terms of the beats and overall vibe, but it lacks in the lyrics department. Conversely, I think artists with great lyrical talent tend to overlook the production aspect.

Therefore, I hope to see the best parts of each subgenre come together in different combinations. As a new beatmaker, I hope to diversify my skills enough that I can take take the "best" elements from all styles of music and somehow incorporate them in my beats.

As far as where rap is going in the near future realistically, well, I think there will always be a daring underground movement not afraid to try new/unconventional things, but the mainstream will eventually evolve (or devolve in some cases) into one big blob of techno/r&b/rock/gangsta rap. Hopefully, that'll be shortlived. The main problem I see is too many artists trying to do too many things. It's not easy maintaining a "thug" persona, then releasing a generic rock album with songs about teenage drama. Or sappy breakups. E-chooohhhh!

If you only watch tv youll think that rap isnt going to change anytime soon. I see the indie scene coming up and coming up hard. Lyrical hip hop is coming back. Indie hip hop is on the rise and will be the new thing in the new decade. Niggas are sick of ring tone rap and the independant scene is stepping it up and people are liking it. In 5 years Soulja Boy will not have a career niggas will not be chasing label deals and it will be about touring and selling units on your own in your region.

If you only watch tv youll think that rap isnt going to change anytime soon. I see the indie scene coming up and coming up hard. Lyrical hip hop is coming back. Indie hip hop is on the rise and will be the new thing in the new decade. Niggas are sick of ring tone rap and the independant scene is stepping it up and people are liking it. In 5 years Soulja Boy will not have a career niggas will not be chasing label deals and it will be about touring and selling units on your own in your region.

I pray this prediction is right.

Back on the West Side hopefully.

I think if Relapse does well then people are gonna start gettin back on the Aftermath bandwagon, and when Detox drops, kids that are like 18 or 19 now hopefully are atleast 21 by then and are able to get in the club scene and this generation will have some kind of a choice of the mainstream sound and the 90's will come back. The cats that are that age right now are all 80s babies.

The new 90s movement will be the kids that were born in the 90's...but to young to remember and GREW UP in the 2000's...

im gettin money, im gettin money, catch me in yo trap and im still gettin dat money. niggas stay asking for zaytoven style beats. i don't see anything changing tell you the truth.. im pretty sure the south is gonna remain on top, 808s still bumpin all that.. let's hope im tha future of rap ya digg. 90s baby all dayyy and i remember tha 90s too. :mad:

stanky leg, ricki bobby, turn my swag on, that's the new era of hip hop.

It's the new hot ish.

It's no longer about talent, and who can REALLY spit, it's about who's is the most appealing/entertaining. The labels only care about money they're just guys in suits that's writing checks and contracts so if you come with some real ish you might find yourself getting turned down. But if you bring some ish talking about "do the jump rope" you might get half a mil on the spot.

It's about where the most money come from and that's kids and women, so you have to appeal to them. Otherwise you're an underground rapper that may stay an underground mixtape rapper/producer or whatever.

I like people like chamillionaire, trae, zero, etc that can really talk about some real ish and come hard, but i dont hear them on the radio unless they're featuring on with someone.

Even Lil wayne took a dif approach at hip hop, im not 100% a fan of the lazy sounding autotune but people eat that ish up and love it..

I dont know what TRUE hip hop is, i was never raised into the hip hop era or even took a deep listen to hip hop, or nothing. I'm just the fan when it comes to that and i can tell you as a fan/producer and a listener i don't see "true hip hop/rap" in the future

Maybe!! and maybe not!!.. you have to remember in order to be an indie becoming major you have to know what you're doing when dealing with business. Inwhich not too many people can just start a company and start balling like Universal Jive Atlantic etc. They have affiliations inwhich grew over the course of the years, you have to think about publishing, rights, contracts, lawyers, attorneys, managers, A&R's, project managers etc. And people act like they're scared of paperwork and that's exactly what it takes for indie's to come up. They think ALL they need is a big check and they're on, and that is very much FALSE.

The money don't come from us and what we want it comes from the fans. Inwhich people are liking things that's more appealing now. If they can't dance to it, sing along with it, or if they dont feel cumfy letting little Billy listen to that stuff then your sales just dropped.

There's schools that even ban people from listening to certain types of music, and performing certain secular acts that are portrayed in "hip hop".

I see pop growing in too EVERYTHING. Even some of my Rock and country projects want some pop elements now. I met 3 rappers in Cali that said they want the Flo Rida approach something different. And that's what people want Something Different.

Put a ukulele in there with a rock guitar, and an 808 with some synths strings and a piano turn the volume up to 130 and you have a hit. weird combinations but if done right you got a placement seriously. Different is the new hip hop.

Sing-a-along dance to my ish type songs. if it's not upbeat high energy and easy to dance too, or if it dont have T pain on the hook and 3rd verse they dont want it. and if you do put something out thats not that, check out your sales and compare them to the person that is doing high energy upbeat type ish with tpain or akon on the hook and 3rd verse

Last edited:
Maybe!! and maybe not!!.. you have to remember in order to be an indie becoming major you have to know what you're doing when dealing with business. Inwhich not too many people can just start a company and start balling like Universal Jive Atlantic etc. They have affiliations inwhich grew over the course of the years, you have to think about publishing, rights, contracts, lawyers, attorneys, managers, A&R's, project managers etc. And people act like they're scared of paperwork and that's exactly what it takes for indie's to come up. They think ALL they need is a big check and they're on, and that is very much FALSE.

The money don't come from us and what we want it comes from the fans. Inwhich people are liking things that's more appealing now. If they can't dance to it, sing along with it, or if they dont feel cumfy letting little Billy listen to that stuff then your sales just dropped.

There's schools that even ban people from listening to certain types of music, and performing certain secular acts that are portrayed in "hip hop".

I see pop growing in too EVERYTHING. Even some of my Rock and country projects want some pop elements now. I met 3 rappers in Cali that said they want the Flo Rida approach something different. And that's what people want Something Different.

Put a ukulele in there with a rock guitar, and an 808 with some synths strings and a piano turn the volume up to 130 and you have a hit. weird combinations but if done right you got a placement seriously. Different is the new hip hop.

Sing-a-along dance to my ish type songs. if it's not upbeat high energy and easy to dance too, or if it dont have T pain on the hook and 3rd verse they dont want it. and if you do put something out thats not that, check out your sales and compare them to the person that is doing high energy upbeat type ish with tpain or akon on the hook and 3rd verse
Im not saying youre wrong but I do think you took my idea a bit out of context. Im saying the new rappers on this indie scene arent chasing label deals and honestly why should they. A label wont sign you unless you can prove you can move units without them. In the past you couldn't do a lot without label backing but thats not the case now with home recording studios and everyone putting out their mixtape and album and finding out people actually like the music. Now heres the big difference is that now that independant rappers are discovering that you will make more money putting out your own product and touring with other rappers which can cost you little to nothing if your little brother makes dope beats with reaper in the basement. Its eliminating the need for label backing. Theres a reason why there is a mixtape fanbase and thats it right there. Fine tune your street grind and you can eat for years without ever having to sign a deal or become a major. The idea of being a part of a major which is really designed to keep you in debt for the rest of your life is not appealing to us who are more educated due to the internet era.

We got people enjoying the beats of the radio/commercial/club **** that's coming out, and the people who still hold to hip-hop's lyrical value...

Kid Cuddi really is the future.. The beats are amazing.. even though some of them have been used before.. and his lyrics connect without being too complicated.

"Those who keep it complicated never get congratulated."

I think we'll bee seeing more lyrics along the lines of self-awareness and personal improvement.

The future? Well its behind my keyboard. I mean that too. With every ounce of soul and life I have. And I ALWAYS agree with Xabiton. 100%

Back