Producer Calling Cards

- R. Kelly' flutes and songs in the key of G, Bb, or Ab.

- Trackmasters acoustic guitar doin' the same pattern over and over... :o

- Just Blaze usin' that high synth sample, and usually have an old school R&B chord proggression. NIce.

am i the only one that has trouble bein original sometimes? i can only make stuff when im inspired and it usually comes out soundin gay. most of yall can say that yall make some off the wall sh.t, but i listened to some of yall stuff & i can tell that there's certain things you just WONT do; like there's certain places u just wont put your snares or kicks, etc.. do yall ever have a problem just breakin out the equipment & getttin super creative?

eminem = some video game horribly sampled organ. THAT SAME A$$ drum pattern he is using in every song now. I take that back he has two Three: one from (superman, hoe), one from (renegade, and the drummier cleaning out my closet), and the one from (Runnin, Square Dance, The Cross, Moment of Clarity, Places toooo GOGooo...................Ahh!11!!! mY hAnd is crAmpInG Up.) :D

lil jon = the "yeah", and those ear-bleed indusing, unpleasently "synthy" synths.

Dre = usually swings his beats extreamly hard (he must have a setting beyond. He's changing it a bit now.

Swiss Beats: A Horrible beat........period. What happened here?

That's all for now

Theres alot of producers who got callin cards but not in a good way. If you know what i mean. You know its their beat because it sounds like crap.

That Neptunes fever has gone thanks god but we cannot forget their calling cards...

Syncopated beats, Triton guitar&string....

kanye almost always use those congos in the background or some warm distorted sound drumline or a snapping sound instead or snares.

timbo uses a live sounding drumline.

justblaze either says "just blaaaze"
or this distinct sounding lead synth.

neptunes use non hip hop sounding sounds and they make crazy ass drumlines.

Aside from kanye using the same drum line in almost all his joints (just to get by..H to the izzo..never let u down..through the wire...etc etc..) u can tell by his use of live vocals and auto tune....alot of these producers now abuse the crap outta that thing...

Bink dog id say has the most recognizable because of his drums...Im sorry..no other producer has drums that sound as realistic as his....just plain rock solid Drum work...
Examples?....ok...1 900 hustler...
All i need.... the rulers back....(jay z/dynasty)
Rock dat (mobb deep)
and a mess of others...one of the sickest drummers on the scene..

Hitek...i can hear him usually off the bat....his Hi hats and snares are usually grooved...some would say...Ey!...those drums are off beat..BUT!...they're not..it actually takes madd work to get that "imperfect" feel on an MPC....beacuse of auto quantizing and what not...

Eminem...i can usually...X that...ALWAYS tell its him....wanna know why?..
ok..
1. Upwards minor progression on the keyboard....in the key of Bb..
2. over dramatic stings..
3. very simplistic drum patterns...
4. Studio musician work laid all over the tracks...
(eminem def. isnt a musician and shouldnt be mistaken for one)..
sorry....Of he does have any hot tracks..I can assure you...Dre or storch had somthin to do with it..
lol..
ok...im out..got skool!(creative production/music buisness)

Last edited:
TwoSkillKrew said:
Bink dog id say has the most recognizable because of his drums...Im sorry..no other producer has drums that sound as realistic as his....just plain rock solid Drum work...
Examples?....ok...1 900 hustler...
All i need.... the rulers back....(jay z/dynasty)
Rock dat (mobb deep)
and a mess of others...one of the sickest drummers on the scene..

oh my goodness. that "all i need" track was beautiful. especially the bass guitar. his runs were off da rack. i never knew of a bink dog but he does excellent work based on that track right there.

yes sir....
the musicians always shine..not beat makers....any a$$ Fu(ker can make a beat...
Can you make Music?...thats the hard part...a musically sound..composition...thats a tuffie!

Last edited:
TwoSkillKrew said:
yes sir....
the musicians always shine..not beat makers....any a$$ Fu(ker can make a beat...
Can you make Music?...thats the hard part...a musically sound..composition...thats a tuffie!

uh oh..... here comes the fire. you stepped on a bunch of corns right there.

GUESS WELL BE HAVING SWEET CORN TONIGHT..lol...
Na man...as D!ck as it may sound...its true...thats why i only hold a few producers up to a pedestal....beats are beats...granted....but music can be expressed either thru the producer...or thru the artist...
Example..kanye west...
that alicia keys joint...he dsdid the usual...loop a sample..bla bla bla..
BUT....the artist made it into a timeless peice of music.....so i mean...yes...you can just 'make a beat"..ya know....but really...the new producers comming out are killin it bra..just killin it in a nasty fashion...Noone wants to be the old fogey makin a "beat"...we sould all strive to try and make somthin musically interesting...
Everyone from the neptunes to bink knows their music theory...(basic concepts)..y shouldnt we?

kanye west - those slightly unorthadox snare drums (go and listen to encore, jay-z, you'll see what i mean)...

timberland - crazy drum patterns, distinct synth sounds - dont know what he uses, but i recognise a lot of it

neptunes - pharell's `ive got baby nuts` voice, pop hooks

heatmakerz - some sample (typically vocal but any will do - opera samples, sesame street, whatever), add 1 parts bassline and 6 parts drums, preferably make them loud enough to blow out your speakers, spot em a mile away

dre - hmm used to be distinctive, nice sawtooth bassline westcoast oscillated synth noises etc, but maybe the people he's biting have changed their style now lol?

premo - gotta be the drum patterns baby, along with the way he chops, look at the recent royce 5 9 track `hiphop` - how could that not be premo??

kanye west - well, not actually that easy to spot i think - yes of course youve got the `vocal samples at 45rpm` thing but then hes not limited to that (how does `stand up` ludacris sound like `thru the wire`??)... generally hes dope, i guess

prodigy - ahaaa, hes just evil - take a look at his recent track with Lloyd Banks.... nasty

thats all i can think of for now..

This is how I recognize who did the beat

Neptunes- triton guitars/synthetic pianos/synthethic basslines/predictable layered snares

Kanye West- a 70s hit played at the speed of a 45 record

Dre- same drum patterns/placement of instrument stabs/synth leads on chorus/replayed 70s funk elements

Eminem- graveyard melodies/dirty drums/slow as f***

Just Blaze- The sfx intro

Lil Jon- The same ol 808 kicks and claps in the same patterns/the "YEEEEAH!" or the "OOOOOKKKAAYYY!"

Timbaland- unusual placement of instruments/low pass filters on synths/him beatboxing

R. Kelly- flutes/hes on the hook/a B2K song/14 yr old girls luv it

DJ Quik- funky west-coast-style groove and bounce/wet drums

hah...."14 year old gurlz luvin it"..LOL But again...niggas are overgeneralizing...
Kanyes beats dont ALL sound the same...
hes got a few that stick out like..DAMN....thats crazy....
Not all of just blazes trak use that Sfx intro...
Did anyone know he produced off with his head for Big Pun?..
he also produced diamonds for prodigy..on HNIC...
no sfx..or just blaze there...
just blaze is a frikin chameleon to those who are avid listenners of his work thats not commercial....he makes soo much under the radar ish its not funny.!

TwoSkillKrew said:
hah...."14 year old gurlz luvin it"..LOL But again...niggas are overgeneralizing...
Kanyes beats dont ALL sound the same...
hes got a few that stick out like..DAMN....thats crazy....
Not all of just blazes trak use that Sfx intro...
Did anyone know he produced off with his head for Big Pun?..
he also produced diamonds for prodigy..on HNIC...
no sfx..or just blaze there...
just blaze is a frikin chameleon to those who are avid listenners of his work thats not commercial....he makes soo much under the radar ish its not funny.!

Naw, I just saying that these are the reasons I can instantly recognize who it is. There "calling cards" (which is what this thread is called). Not to say that ALL of thier beats sound this way, because Ive been shocked when I find out they did a beat that doesnt follow what I usually hear from them. But these are elements I've heard in more than 5 hit tracks from each that all have the same element or "calling card".

Back