Preferred Album Length

albums have ranged in length from 20' to 92' - CD audio was set at 72' per disc because that is how long it took for Beethoven's 9th Symphony to be performed by the then Phillips chairman's favourite orchestra and conductor

myself - I'd be thinking about 60' and no more than 15 tracks

I'm in the 12-15 range, not including skits or interludes. I hate when cats don't separate their interludes from the tracks and I gotta fast forward the track cause you're doing a skit for 30 secs at the end or beginning.

Are you asking because you are just curious or are you considering putting out an album?

The reason I ask that is albums have become almost irrelevant and album sales continue to plummet year after year. Digital download of singles is the way music is consumed these days. It seems almost like a waste of time, IMO, to put together a project using the traditional album format.

If you are just curious then I would say, depending on the price of the album, about 14-17 songs seems about right to me.

20-50 minutes, almost always too much filler beyond that

usually the albums with less songs are the best i think

a lot of the time i think "damn this would be an all time great if they cut some tracks off"

see wu-tang forever for example. well that's still an all time classic but it could have been top 25 or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
No comment on album length but let me say this, the albums I like least tend to have skits between songs so please if you are putting together something leave them out, they add nothing good to the album.

Back