Platinum Producer "AyotheProducer" shows Polow Da Don stole "Lil Wayne- John" Beat.

wow look at the mess of rap music man...i'm glad am done with that shit..its shifty as hell...(i actualy just got shafted on a big record today (huge artist), found out its on itunes)

Pop all the way...

Your publishings vital, but for starting out its not abnormal to let the middle men take their 20% for you to get on..Ive did it...

You gotta think, your a no-name being introduced to the industry, once your in its alot easier to start saying "no, how about this....".

15% manager fee
10% lawyer fee

simple as that.

You want the couple of grand? Or do you want to sell burgers at McDonald's for a year and end up with a nice publishing check?
I want to sell burgers and wait to get my publishing check :) Take me oh-so-important credit for track 7 on the 4th album of Artist X.
I rather have Hans Zimmer or Dr Luke take the spotlight and the "fame", take my "L" (as in LOLFBPN = Laughing Out Loud For Being Paid Nicely) and my check and go home and do the stuff that REALLY brings me money. LOL

What are you going to do, when your couple grand run out? I know what I'm going to with the money I will get from the sales of the single, the ringtones, the soundtrack sales (cause some of the tracks were used for movies), the money for when it gets used in a commercial or played on TV. Hmmm, yeah, luckily, I don't have to flip burgers, but if i was in that situation, I would do that or wash dishes, instead of thinking "I made it", because I got a couple grand that i will spend the same month...............and no follow-up business comes.

Listen to people like as20gp, because that's as REAL as it will get. He is REPORTING, he ain't selling you a dream or a "story of industry failure", because it's neither one of these. Just simple facts. Take the publishing, if you have to work in the meantime, because NO OTHER BUSINESS IS IN THE WORKS, then do that.

People like as20gp can use that time to find a day job, do their demo reels for games, ads or movies. Guess what? The CREDIT he got for some rap record is nice, but if you send out a demo reel AND you can say, you can do from Ambient thru Bossanova, Rock, Techno to Zimbabwean Folk, you gonna get work.

The moment "they" see you doing it for your EGO, instead of doing it because YOU LIKE THAT WORK AND YOU ARE GOOD and for your BANK ACCOUNT, you are f**ked.
Cause EGOs can be fed with bullshit and compliments and dreams of grandeur...........your stomach can only be fed with REAL food bought with a REAL currency. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
So this producer got paid (I assume the normal 50% advance on the placement fee) but he didn't get any credit whatsoever? Does that also mean official songwriting credit for publishing purposes? Or did he receive his official writing credit for publishing purposes but it wasn't placed on the album? Trying to get some clarification before I comment thx

So this producer got paid (I assume the normal 50% advance on the placement fee) but he didn't get any credit whatsoever? Does that also mean official songwriting credit for publishing purposes? Or did he receive his official writing credit for publishing purposes but it wasn't placed on the album? Trying to get some clarification before I comment thx

That's what I wanna know. I hope he didn't sign away his publishing.

When I hand out beats my splits(percentages) are in the contract. If you don't like it. No beat. simple.

lol what good is getting a lot of business if you owe your 50% of your pub to somebody cause a ****ed up deal you signed 2 years ago?

you mean 50% of song's publishing (which is all your publishing) or do you mean 50% of your publishing (25% of song's publishing) which is like every publishing deal ever signed?

Not saying that it applies to this specific situation but producers are often pressed to sign management agreements from the "3rd party Goons" (A&R, Artist imprint company, DJ, beat agent, street muscle, etc) that usually ask for publishing splits on ALL of your work (even if they didn't help you secure it) for normally a 2-5 year period. Be very cautious before you sign your rights over and don't let that one potential co-producer credit on that Kanye West single being dangled in front of your eyes be the ONLY thing considered. And this is before you may sign a deal with a major (or mini-major) publishing company that will split your publishing share even further down.

Doing '1 off' deals is not too bad but the whole management situation I would advise extreme caution because we're not talking about a traditional management situation (which is fair for them to take a small taste of all incoming revenues) but 3rd Party Goons who are using the management angle more to squeeze maximum bread off your head than to really dedicate themselves to cultivating your career moving forward

Last edited:
im not gonna lie when i heard this shit i was like damn wayne just liked "Im Not a Star" aand wanted the closest thing to it...

i aint got no placements though, so whatever haha it obviously worked.

Not saying that it applies to this specific situation but producers are often pressed to sign management agreements from the "3rd party Goons" (A&R, Artist imprint company, DJ, beat agent, street muscle, etc) that usually ask for publishing splits on ALL of your work (even if they didn't help you secure it) for normally a 2-5 year period. Be very cautious before you sign your rights over and don't let that one potential co-producer credit on that Kanye West single being dangled in front of your eyes be the ONLY thing considered. And this is before you may sign a deal with a major (or mini-major) publishing company that will split your publishing share even further down.

Doing '1 off' deals is not too bad but the whole management situation I would advise extreme caution because we're not talking about a traditional management situation (which is fair for them to take a small taste of all incoming revenues) but 3rd Party Goons who are using the management angle more to squeeze maximum bread off your head than to really dedicate themselves to cultivating your career moving forward

Listen to this one.

I've had people at "your favorite record labels" try to get me to sign these. Looked at them like they were crazy once I read it and realized what it was.

Thus no placements. It's happened more than once.

I know people who have signed those. Some have gotten so frustrated that they STOP doing any work until the contract runs out, cuz they don't want that person getting 50% of their hard earned money, for sitting on their ass doing nothing.

Cold game out here. Drew is trying to tell y'all how it really goes...

Listen to this one.

I know people who have signed those. Some have gotten so frustrated that they STOP doing any work until the contract runs out, cuz they don't want that person getting 50% of their hard earned money, for sitting on their ass doing nothing.

Thats crazy to think about.

Do people really just see someone "major" offering a contract, and think its all good and just get excited and dont care and just sign that shit though? To me it seems like common sense to read anything that you sign that deals with money.....

I guess some people just want that "fame" and "credit" and dont even read the fine print about 50% of this goes to this person, and 15% of the advance, then dont think about paying lawyers or anything.

Im inexperienced cause i havent been in the situation yet, but I feel like I would know enough to know when they were workin me for MY money since im the one with the beat THEY want.

But I see what you guys are saying....even tho I got a hot beat and they want it, if I wont agree to their stupid ass contract they can find some dumbass who wants that fame and credit who will.

Last edited:
@ Troup

Exactly, its a form of extortion...sign your ass over to me or I'm going to block you from getting the placement. Some are so nasty that they will even spread some negative lies about you to other players in the business just out of spite. Yes its a cold game so do yourself a favor and don't look at bowing down to these characters as your only recourse to obtaining success (according to your definition of success, NOT someone else). The key is independent entrepreneurship, that way you're in a better position to say NO to any ridiculous shit these cornballs put in front of you because you have your OWN thing running. If you don't then you put yourself at the total mercy of these 'gatekeepers' and this is what usually happens:

You sign a management deal that ask for 50% of all mechanical and publishing rights and you start getting some work. THEN they've found the next hot producer and focus on them (remember they're not REAL managers so they dont give a **** about your career) and keep the rotation going and going while your left stuck to have to do your OWN moves anyway BUT you're still stuck with giving them HALF of your bread IF you get some other shit popping. Now this wouldn't be that bad if this was 1998 or 2002 when there was still so much viable commercial projects coming down the pipeline u could still live off of being jerked nicely but in 2012 its just pure ****ery due to the limited amount of work. As I said, BE CAREFUL because the difference between financial independence and having fancy plaques on the wall living in your momma's living room is your PUBLISHING because advance money for placements for new jacks is DEAD

Last edited:
does anyone else think that the "john" beat sounds like something lex luger would make? or no?

I think it's the other way around seeing that Ayo made that beat in 2009 before Lex was even relevant. . .

Lex tried to diss him on twitter for "biting" but Ayo shut him down on ustream showing a close-up of the date he made it and going through the project file.

@ Troup

Exactly, its a form of extortion...sign your ass over to me or I'm going to block you from getting the placement. Some are so nasty that they will even spread some negative lies about you to other players in the business just out of spite. Yes its a cold game so do yourself a favor and don't look at bowing down to these characters as your only recourse to obtaining success (according to your definition of success, NOT someone else). The key is independent entrepreneurship, that way you're in a better position to say NO to any ridiculous shit these cornballs put in front of you because you have your OWN thing running. If you don't then you put yourself at the total mercy of these 'gatekeepers' and this is what usually happens:

You sign a management deal that ask for 50% of all mechanical and publishing rights and you start getting some work. THEN they've found the next hot producer and focus on them (remember they're not REAL managers so they dont give a **** about your career) and keep the rotation going and going while your left stuck to have to do your OWN moves anyway BUT you're still stuck with giving them HALF of your bread IF you get some other shit popping. Now this wouldn't be that bad if this was 1998 or 2002 when there was still so much viable commercial projects coming down the pipeline u could still live off of being jerked nicely but in 2012 its just pure ****ery due to the limited amount of work. As I said, BE CAREFUL because the difference between financial independence and having fancy plaques on the wall living in your momma's living room is your PUBLISHING because advance money for placements for new jacks is DEAD

I wanna go all Kurupt and start Calling Out Names so bad...

Last edited:
Thats crazy to think about.

Do people really just see someone "major" offering a contract, and think its all good and just get excited and dont care and just sign that shit though? To me it seems like common sense to read anything that you sign that deals with money.....

I guess some people just want that "fame" and "credit" and dont even read the fine print about 50% of this goes to this person, and 15% of the advance, then dont think about paying lawyers or anything.

Im inexperienced cause i havent been in the situation yet, but I feel like I would know enough to know when they were workin me for MY money since im the one with the beat THEY want.

But I see what you guys are saying....even tho I got a hot beat and they want it, if I wont agree to their stupid ass contract they can find some dumbass who wants that fame and credit who will.

Yes they do, in fact people in the business LOOK for the most ignorant, willing to 'get on at any course' person to work with because they're the easiest vic to abuse and then toss to the side once they're done with you. If you have great talent that's even BETTER!

The industry vultures are looking for this combination:

- Great talent, never questions nothing, will do anything to 'be down', totally ignorant to the REAL business. Perfect candidate.

Seeing all the bullshit that the industry has to offer. . .Soundclick/PMP/RocBattle doesn't sound half bad. . . .not bad at all.

Last edited:
I wanna name names so bad. lol

The names are not even that important because its so rampant in this business its more a question of who is NOT doing it lol. As the RECORDING industry (not touring, merch, synch licensing, music gear/equipment, etc) continues to boil down this will only get worse as they're fewer dollars being chased by more hands

you mean 50% of song's publishing (which is all your publishing) or do you mean 50% of your publishing (25% of song's publishing) which is like every publishing deal ever signed?

giving up all your pub, and even still.. if youre giving up 25% of the songs publishing to a publishing company thats totally different.. because theyre working FOR you.. giving up any part of your publishing just for placing a record with you is wild and reckless.

on the album, Rob, Polow, Wayne, Ross & Justice league are credited on the album.. Ayo is not BUT

according to ASCAP hes on there, still getting a portion of the writers share.. so now it just seems like the video is for.. shit idk.. credit? not really worth ruining someones name and reputation and accusing polow of stealing a beat or whatever the situation may be
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]CARTER DWAYNE - Lil WayneCROWE KEVIN DEAN - Justice League
JONES JAMAL F - Polow Da Don
ORTIZ ERIK REYES - Justice League
OWENS AUSTIN - AYO
ROBERTS WILLIAM - Rick Ross
Ward, Christian - Yung Berg
Watson, Robert Deandre - Rob Holladay

seems like a lot of people are attached to this beat considering Ayo was the only person who made it

Last edited:
Awesome advice everyone.

I was scared at first like damn, I dont wanna get screwed over. But im more than confident in my common sense lol. And im in school for business/learning on my own all the time, so Ill be aight.

I really dont care about being famous i just wanna make them bills haha

Back