Phugg you and your beats... do this SON!!!!

Phugg what ya heard, dj mustard just gained 10,000 new phans! Or atleast 10,000 new people know his name now. And you can't not make friends when you smoke out with 10,000 strangers!
-LevLove

Last edited:
Phug your beets rome. Y'all ain't garden like me!

I actually forgot how to use Ableton LIVE...

I fired it up yesterday and there were so many available loops to use... I figured, why bother making a beat... just slap these loops together... I was done in 10 minutes... technology killed inspiration...smh.

I actually forgot how to use Ableton LIVE...

I fired it up yesterday and there were so many available loops to use... I figured, why bother making a beat... just slap these loops together... I was done in 10 minutes... technology killed inspiration...smh.

So you are up on the current production techniques I see:alcoholic:

Daym I really wanna see what the hype is and feel this cat! But, he did the some basic transitions that have been by DJ's for the past 15 years and used the typical 'get live' tracks...I heard zero blends. And the scratches were pretty beginner IMO.

What I can respect, though, is that he still had that packed place madd live...and it's interesting that the first Jay track he plays is produced by the Neptunes - he respects his elders and I respect the tunes he played for "his inspiration". Check out the first track he plays and tell me he made up this "Mustard sound".

Thank you for sharing this because I'd always heard he DJ'd but never saw one of his sets...I'd wildout at one of his shows no doubt and, in the end, that's what a good DJ is supposed to do.

Someone said something inter-dasting....

Mustard's set vs. a Kid Capri set... who wins...

I got my money on Kid Capri...

Kid Capri but his music may be above the heads of today's younger generation. He'd play the original song where some may just want to hear the part that was looped or used in a sample.

Daym I really wanna see what the hype is and feel this cat! But, he did the some basic transitions that have been by DJ's for the past 15 years and used the typical 'get live' tracks...I heard zero blends. And the scratches were pretty beginner IMO.

What I can respect, though, is that he still had that packed place madd live...and it's interesting that the first Jay track he plays is produced by the Neptunes - he respects his elders and I respect the tunes he played for "his inspiration". Check out the first track he plays and tell me he made up this "Mustard sound".

Thank you for sharing this because I'd always heard he DJ'd but never saw one of his sets...I'd wildout at one of his shows no doubt and, in the end, that's what a good DJ is supposed to do.

It depends on your definition of what makes a good DJ;scratching and them tricks like Q-Bert or playing songs that keep the crowd energized. If we throw dancing into the equation, then that's another issue to consider. I personally judge a DJ by his ability to keep the party jumping, and keep everyone dancing and to be able to transition smoothly from one hot song to another without missing a beat. Kid Capri and Bizmarkie believe it or not are the masters of this. I got some of my pops old cassettes. Kid took it to another level though.

Last edited:
He is so bad its like a parody of a bad hip hop dj.
If I had been there and high on bathsalts like the rest of the crowd, I would have been sure Skrillex had done it as a joke.

He loses that crowd over, and over, and over with those offbeat cuts after playing twelve seconds of a track.
Believe it or not, even the kids want to hear more than half a measure of a track...

It is a ridiculous display of "DJing".

He is so bad its like a parody of a bad hip hop dj.
If I had been there and high on bathsalts like the rest of the crowd, I would have been sure Skrillex had done it as a joke.

He loses that crowd over, and over, and over with those offbeat cuts after playing twelve seconds of a track.
Believe it or not, even the kids want to hear more than half a measure of a track...

It is a ridiculous display of "DJing".

I was half expecting Dave Chappelle to peal back the mask..

Someone mentioned Kid Capri playing old tracks which the younger generation probably wouldn't give time to. Probably correct, however, when someone young here's a sample and then the whole original record, you'll get a crowd of "OOOOOOOOOOOOHS!!!!!" They may not dance to it smoothly if it's their first time hearing it, but it'll be sure as Hell better than having to switch up the dancing every 20 seconds, once the next track starts playing (as highkoo mentioned). For example, Busta Rhymes released the "Thank You" record which my friend went wild for, then I was out with him in a local bar, and the original Alicia Meyers track came on. He went crazy for it. (So did I, may I add...)

Also, doesn't anyone think that trends are set by repetition in music? If Kid Capri started getting gigs like that regularly, don't you think the masses will start obtaining a much broader spectrum of music to dance to? Therefore, club music will be more diverse? The only reason why the music Mustard played was okay, was because people had heard the tracks enough to dance to it. Or maybe it's a case of people nowadays just not knowing how to dance. In which case, then the music doesn't matter.

Anyway, with people listening to a wide range of music in their leisure, what's stopping there from being more diversity when it comes to club music? Maybe it is diverse in some areas. Let me know.

But just a few thoughts. I'd love to hear everyone's opinion.

P.S. If a girls only move is a slut drop, f*ck outta here. A simple two step will do wonders nowadays.

I was half expecting Dave Chappelle to peal back the mask..

Someone mentioned Kid Capri playing old tracks which the younger generation probably wouldn't give time to. Probably correct, however, when someone young here's a sample and then the whole original record, you'll get a crowd of "OOOOOOOOOOOOHS!!!!!" They may not dance to it smoothly if it's their first time hearing it, but it'll be sure as Hell better than having to switch up the dancing every 20 seconds, once the next track starts playing (as highkoo mentioned). For example, Busta Rhymes released the "Thank You" record which my friend went wild for, then I was out with him in a local bar, and the original Alicia Meyers track came on. He went crazy for it. (So did I, may I add...)

That original Alicia Meyers track was my cut when I was in high school and heard it for the first time and I actually sampled it myself 10 years ago. When I heard the Thank You Busta cut I liked how they let the verse ride out the way they did, but the song overall left me so disappointed that someone would waste such a classic sample and then have Kanye blah'in on the chorus.

And you're absolutely right about the trends and dancing - when you hear the same song every day for months and months yeah you might dance when you hear it at a show because it's familiar and a habit. Mustard's set overall is NOT what I consider a DJ IMO - I respect Kid Capri, Cut Chemist, D-Nice, Babu, Jazzy Jeff, even Skribble.

I'm trying my best not to hate on Mustard and see other people's points of view, but this dude just don't impress me...AT ALL! He just fails left right and center.

Yeah, I agree with you archangel. I do think that Kanye West and Lil Wayne were on the track just to keep it all relevant and appealing to the younger generations. But it definitely destroyed a lot of the songs potential for me, in my opinion.

Also, doesn't anyone think that trends are set by repetition in music? If Kid Capri started getting gigs like that regularly, don't you think the masses will start obtaining a much broader spectrum of music to dance to? Therefore, club music will be more diverse? The only reason why the music Mustard played was okay, was because people had heard the tracks enough to dance to it. Or maybe it's a case of people nowadays just not knowing how to dance. In which case, then the music doesn't matter.

Anyway, with people listening to a wide range of music in their leisure, what's stopping there from being more diversity when it comes to club music? Maybe it is diverse in some areas. Let me know.

But just a few thoughts. I'd love to hear everyone's opinion.

I do think if the event is marketed correctly with the right combination of hosts, it could be quite successful. You'd need young relevant hosts to validate the music to the younger crowd and they'd have to include music also from other periods too like 90's rap music and even the DMX, JA Rule era. Switching it up keeps it fresh.That's the great thing about the dance scene. They don't overanalyze the music. They just want to dance, enjoy themselves and the effects of alcohol and whatever else drugs they may be on.

Last edited:
I do think if the event is marketed correctly with the right combination of hosts, it could be quite successful. You'd need young relevant hosts to validate the music to the younger crowd and they'd have to include music also from other periods too like 90's rap music and even the DMX, JA Rule era. Switching it up keeps it fresh.That's the great thing about the dance scene. They don't overanalyze the music. They just want to dance, enjoy themselves and the effects of alcohol and whatever else drugs they may be on.

We only disagree on the over analysis bit, the rest I agree with. I know way too many people who over analyse the music that's being played in the club, or how it's being played... Even I do to a degree. Perhaps it's just UK culture though. People are just miserable teenagers here (for the most part)

Man **** Dre this guy kills it. Im probably gonna regret saying this, but DJ Mustard is better than Dre. There, I said it. *dies*

We only disagree on the over analysis bit, the rest I agree with. I know way too many people who over analyse the music that's being played in the club, or how it's being played... Even I do to a degree. Perhaps it's just UK culture though. People are just miserable teenagers here (for the most part)

That's funny. That's what happens when intellectuals and music meet I guess. I'm glad I have that balance and was raised around those who just react instinctively to the music.

driving on my home from work 3 out of the 5 songs on the radio were produced from mustard. dude has been killin it! his beats are so simple but you cant knock his hustle hes just a beast!

Was DJ Mustard rocking stadiums of people as a DJ and then decided to get into the production side or did the success of his production open the doors to be able to DJ in front of pack crowds? If its the later (which i suspect) then it means being a music producer is still a financially viable option but the money (same for the artists) is now mostly on the performance side instead of the recording side.

Understand the importance of BRANDING and diversify your skill set in order to generate income from multiple revenue streams. Unless your producing Top 40 smashes on a consistent basis music production is basically your branding tool more than your ultimate source of income.

Now get back to making your beats...

^i agree that production opens more doors to a dj than being a great dj ever could.

that said i recommend doing more both off the jump because being a dj is more immediately fulfilling. i'm still not a great producer and rarely make money off production but i get paid for djing on somewhat of a regular basis. rocking a party for free is fun as well. been at it for 4 years now. 4 producing 2 djing.

Last edited:
diversify your skill set in order to generate income from multiple revenue streams.

Sure, but the consistent elephant in FPs room is that using music primarily as a means to get money is completely backwards.

Want money? 'Diversify' by learning javascript/SQL/PHP...

Was DJ Mustard rocking stadiums of people as a DJ and then decided to get into the production side or did the success of his production open the doors to be able to DJ in front of pack crowds? If its the later (which i suspect) then it means being a music producer is still a financially viable option but the money (same for the artists) is now mostly on the performance side instead of the recording side.

Understand the importance of BRANDING and diversify your skill set in order to generate income from multiple revenue streams. Unless your producing Top 40 smashes on a consistent basis music production is basically your branding tool more than your ultimate source of income.

Now get back to making your beats...
Bingo.
I really can't see basic DJ skills in Mustard so i think he's just collecting a check
So he's getting money from producing, Roc Nation, and now the big time DJ circuit. Not bad at all

Back