Originality Stands the Test of Time

CeasarBeats

CeasarBeats
Originality Stands the Test of Time
These days, originality in the music industry is very rare. Artists/Musicians see someone who is successful and assume if they model after that person's sound, they'll achieve the same or similar success. I get it! It sounds feasible and may even be feasible to a degree, but you'll never be remembered for being somebody else. Think about all the unique artists of days past: Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, etc. These people will NEVER be forgotten. No matter what "new" trends come and go, these people have longevity that expands beyond their death because they were originals. There used to be a wide variety of sounds and textures in urban music. More artist's and labels were willing to take risks artistically. But somewhere along the way, corporations came in, greed came in, and creativity began to subside. New artists come and go like the wind. Yet, unique and original artists seem to weather the storm! Some artists that were out in the 70's are STILL successfully touring and making big profits from royalties/publishing while new artists with big hits are broke the next or the same year. Why? Originality pays Cory, literally lol! The key to your long term success is being unique and ORIGINAL.

So how can you be original? By doing what I call an originality cleanse. God has already put everything you need inside of you. You just have to tap into it. This is how you do it.

1. You need to take time to find yourself musically. Stop listening to all other music for one month. I mean ALL music. Of course you can't avoid music on movies/tv commercials and such lol, but turn your radio OFF.
  2. Get in the studio with a musician/producer and EXPERIMENT. If you're a musician yourself, then that's even better! Isolate yourself and dig really deep. Don't worry about what's current, don't worry about what's popular, just simply create whatever you naturally feel in your heart and let the chips fall where they may.
  3. Don't put any limits on yourself . Remove CAN'T from your mindset. Try anything and everything (legal of course lol). Let your music be totally sporadic and organic.
  4. Even if what you create sucks, keep creating until it doesn't suck. Keep trying. It may be uncomfortable or frustrating but PUSH. Similar to a health detox or cleanse, you may experience some resistance (creatively) to do what you've always done.
  5. Create something every day of the cleanse. Don't miss ANY days. Doesn't have to be perfect, just create.

You'll be surprised what comes out of you! Instead of drawing from other people's music for inspiration, you'll learn how to draw inspiration from your own life. Your pain, your joy, your emotions, your senses, the environment, everything! Life is full of amazing song material! Some of the most successful artists in the world have turned their pain into success through song. Something as simple as seeing a leaf fall from a tree can inspire an amazing record. Records created during a strong emotional state (sorrow, anger, etc) will be some of the best content you've ever created. Learning how to put your life into musical form will certainly breed originality because it's YOUR life!

After you've completed your originality cleanse, you'll have a brand new passion for music! You may even start doing things you never thought you'd do! Me myself, I started out as a piano player strictly. I never saw myself being a producer, rapping, doing hooks, or any of that. These things just naturally happened over time through experimentation. All the other emails have been awesome, but I pray you really take heed to this one. Changing our music industry starts with us as individuals. As we become more original, the industry will regain it's originality! I hope this helps you a lot! Be blessed!

CeasarBeats.com

Last edited:
Back