!!New Genre in Effect!!!

!!Modern mainstream hip hop name change!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yea rap did exist but as far as the definition of rap, it didn't change. Even break dancing was around before Hip Hop...Dj'ing was around before Hip Hop.But when you mix the whole culture as far as Bboying/Bgirling, and Graffitti, it all came affiliated with each other and fell under the Hip Hop culture. How are you gonna call a rapper's album "Hip Hop" and he aint Djing, he aint break dancing, he aint drawing graffitti and he aint bboying?
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

The whole B.B. King thing was just random..lol

But seriously a rapper missing 2 or 3 of those elements cant be hip hop? J. Cole isn't hip hop? Im just making an assumption but I think its safe to say dude aint djing, breakdancing, or bboying. Just because the music doesn't have every element doesn't give you means to redefine it.

But I do think that the overall sound, attitude, and movement of the culture is means to give it a different name.

Naw I'm being technical since we're defining sub genres. I'm saying Souljah Boy is Hip Hop. He is famous for doing an element of Hip Hop which is rap...Just as much as J.Cole.

Semantics change and there is nothing you can do about it, for example DAW no longer means Digital Audio Workstation in common usage, it now just means the software.

Hip hop as we now use it was narrowed down from a broader meaning and now that narrowed meaning is expanding, you might want to call something hip pop but if the fans of that garbage call it hip hop then that's what it will be known as.

I typed in POP HOP and I think somebody already named your genre for you.

Sounds like everything else though, they're "rapping" right? Maybe you want to call this Hip Hop too... (since no one wants to admit there's a difference)

Maybe put the original artists on this version, it's all Hip Hop.... because they're rapping...

Last edited by a moderator:
But isn't hip hop a subsidiary of rap music? So what ever we name this new type of music wouldn't it fall under rap instead of hip hop.

Semantics...you're right. The idea still stands though.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

I would place those Like A G6 dudes in the 80s Glam Rock category....I wonder if Three Six Mafia knew in 1998 that a white chick in 2010 would be using terms they made popular to sell millions of singles on a rap song with a techno-influenced beat lol.

Wow...just listened to that song Rome just posted...90% of the people listening to this track will think that hook is an original idea. I would be offended too if somebody tried to call that hip-hop lol.

Co-optation of culture at it's finest....KRS-One is somewhere putting lighter fluid on mattresses. :bigeyes:

Last edited:
I wonder what category cats like nwa, geto boys etc.. would fall under. I guess you cant call their music hip hop but instead gangsta rap.

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Wow...just listened to that song Rome just posted...90% of the people listening to this track will think that hook is an original idea. I would be offended too if somebody tried to call that hip-hop lol.

Co-optation of culture at it's finest....KRS-One is somewhere putting lighter fluid on mattresses. :bigeyes:

I listned to that song to and its as bout as much hip hop as my luvly lady humps the bpm is 200..lol

But KRS-1 said that soulja boy was hip hop out of his own chaps.

See, the thing that's wrong with Hip Hop music is that you got a bunch of stubborn people who are far from being a "pioneer", that wants to tag something as being Hip Hop or not. Basically, if it's not Eastcoast, it's not Hip Hop. Yall too scared of change. Yall don't want to broaden the music.

If all rap music sounded the way that a lot of people on here wanted to sound, it'll be boring...Point, blank, period. We need artists like 3-6. We need artists current and past like Mac Dre, UGK, E-40, Brotha Lynch Hung, Master P, Souljah Boy(yea I said it), Roscoe Dash(I actually like dudes music), Wale and the list goes on.

Yes we have our preferences and I understand how many of yall feel. But don't push you "preference" of rap music on people as being the "right" type of music or the right way to do it because there's no such thing...If it was I would've grown born of it...And I consider myself a TRUE Hip Hop head...I love all the elements but I excel at Rap!

Call it something else....

Not sure why people can't grasp that concept...

because you can't call it Hip Hop, U mad?

It's "Something" Rap... embrace it. It's not Hip Hop.

Call it something else....

Not sure why people can't grasp that concept...

because you can't call it Hip Hop, U mad?

It's "Something" Rap... embrace it. It's not Hip Hop.

Because that's you're opinion and I'm far from being mad, just having a convo brotha...

Your argument is based off of your opinion but I'm being as technically correct as possible. Just like you said...Call it "something rap". Rap is apart of Hip Hop therefore it's Hip Hop...Simple as that homie.

Because that's you're opinion and I'm far from being mad, just having a convo brotha...

Your argument is based off of your opinion but I'm being as technically correct as possible. Just like you said...Call it "something rap". Rap is apart of Hip Hop therefore it's Hip Hop...Simple as that homie.

You can call it an opinion all day, mine is truth, your's is a wish / want.

I already tried to tell you that Hip Hop and Rap "music" are two different things.

I grew up in VA, by the time Hip Hop got to you it was MTV watered down ish and you're just riding with what you're being told. Yo MTV Raps came about WAYYYY after the media had had it's way with "rap" music.

... reminds me of Clayton Bigsby from Chappelle's show.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can call it an opinion all day, mine is truth, your's is a wish / want.

I already tried to tell you that Hip Hop and Rap "music" are two different things.

I grew up in VA, by the time Hip Hop got to you it was MTV watered down ish and you're just riding with what you're being told. Yo MTV Raps came about WAYYYY after the media had had it's way with "rap" music.

... reminds me of Clayton Bigsby from Chappelle's show.

I think you're in denial Rome Hip Hop and Rap are pretty much the same thing. Hell Hip hop grew out of rap music. So in truth Hip Hop is just an extension of rap.

Have at it, lol.

If it makes you feel happy, call it New Age 70's RnB...

Gen X Pop
http://www.divshare.com/download/13354651-a8f

A music's genre is usually descriptive of the generation of people who grew up in it...Jazz, bebop, blues, soul music, R&B, disco, Rap, Hip Hop, Gen X Pop. Most of Gen X Pop is a combination of all of the above. Parts (loops or samples) are taken directly from these older genres.

Last edited:
Back