Neptunes are .. .. . .

slystoned

over rated!

they are so hit and miss its not even funny, light your ass on fire ANYONE of us could of done that beat. Their only hit with any soul or vibe or groove was change clothes and go, other than that I think we could pretty much throw away most of their ****!!!!!!!! Neptunes teach kids to not dig and not learn about styles of the past, they just get kids making stupid tinker bell joints, with wack fruity loop presets. blah just some ventilation...

Dude, if they were over rated, they wouldn't be making hits for over 10 years now. There is a forum here that lists all of their work. The list is also on their site. You probably didn't hear the Rolling Stones remix that they did. I agree that some of their beats are simple but maybe that's their genius at work. I think they are really good.

slystoned said:
over rated!

they are so hit and miss its not even funny, light your ass on fire ANYONE of us could of done that beat. Their only hit with any soul or vibe or groove was change clothes and go, other than that I think we could pretty much throw away most of their ****!!!!!!!! Neptunes teach kids to not dig and not learn about styles of the past, they just get kids making stupid tinker bell joints, with wack fruity loop presets. blah just some ventilation...

i'm sorry sly. but i belive that you are wrong. they didnt mean to make kids do anything. they were just doing what they love. as awful as i think their latest stuff is. they do it for the love and been doing it since highschool with teddy riley rumpshaker days. even into JOE "better days" days and now the milkshake. it's corny as all hell but their status affords them to have tracks with an unsubstantiated aura of automatic hotness. it's fair enough though. they been doing great quality stuff for so long and now it's time to work less and have fun. if this was to be seen as their BEST work....then i'd agree with you that they're overrated. ine thing is true. pharrell's singing is overrated. curtis mayfield my @$$. he just hasnt caught the correct mic stand in the throat yet to make him sing deep again. anyone cant make the light that a$$ on fire beat. if they did...they wouldnt be able to sell it. they're not afforded that luxury. the neptunes are talented. and ....very .....very....very ...............filthy muphukkin RICH!!!!

God bless them and i hope they start working hard again.

If a label's paying you 6 figures to produce a track for their artist they dont want grimy underground sheet. They want radio friendly tracks plain & simple. As I learn more & more about the business aspect I do understand this. You dont become a super producer producing strictly hardcore underground tracks!!! Remember their are beatmakers and producers. A true producer can custom make a track to fit the artist. The beatmaker comes with premade beats and he's not flexible with making changes or improvising.

Last edited by a moderator:
CASTLE HILL said:
If a label's paying you 6 figures to produce a track for their artist they dont want grimy underground sheet. They want radio friendly tracks plain & simple. As I learn more & more about the business aspect I do understand this. You dont become a super producer producing strictly hardcore underground tracks!!! Remember their are beatmakers and producers. A true producer can custom make a track to fit the artist. The beatmaker comes with premade beats and he's not flexible with making changes or improvising.

co-sign :cheers:

slystoned said:
Neptunes teach kids to not dig and not learn about styles of the past,
Naw, they just teach kids on how to interpolate and replay elements of old songs. Check out, "Hot in Herre", the basis of the song goes back. Come on you should know that, you sample, right?

It's okay not to like them, just like it is okay to like them, but to say they teach kids not to dig, or they use Fruity loop preset, is false information.

Are we Hatin On the Neptunes again??

Did you know they had a third member??

slystoned said:
over rated!

!st: STOP HATIN". 2nd: What are your accomplishments?As far as music.(Just Curious)

davenyce said:
!st: STOP HATIN". 2nd: What are your accomplishments?As far as music.(Just Curious)

uh oh. the callout!! it was inevitable. i see tumbleweed rollin and i hear that western wistle song in the background panned a lil to the left.......someone's chakin a tambourine!! :bigeyes:

2nd: What are your accomplishments?As far as music.(Just Curious)

as far as music, i'm very proud of myself for what i've learn't on my own, that i've taken the time to build up a solid collection of wax, that i've learn't how to sequence on a actual sampler and an old atari (none of this fruityloops ish), i've been thru dirty ass 4track days, i can mix/blend and skratch my ass off. I'm proud that I still know what hiphop is and I will represent that till the day I die.

back to the neptunes, I just think it's corny how we are brainwashed to think just cause someone's name is on a beat, it can't be hated on. What about the people claiming the 'tunes jacked beats from them? They do have some hot tracks, but I would say the majority is medicore and it's very lame how the kids are being force fed nonsense.

slystoned said:

as far as music, i'm very proud of myself for what i've learn't on my own,

now im not one to talk ish, but you must not have learn too much on your own by spelling LEARNED like LEARN'T...but as far as the neps, they are not trying to make complicated beats, the will tell you that, they just want to make music that is easy to dance to, and of course not everyone is going to like everything someone else made, it doesn't work that way, i love the neps, but they made same lame ish, but they are not near hit or miss, b/c they have did some major stuff

but I would say the majority is medicore and it's very lame how the kids are being force fed nonsense.

Noone is forcing kids to throw on a pair of headphones at gun point and bob their head to a Neptunes track. And they must be doing something right if they stay on the mind of someone who doesn't like them, and even causes that person to exert the energy to start a thread about it.

j-traxx said:

uh oh. the callout!! it was inevitable. i see tumbleweed rollin and i hear that western wistle song in the background panned a lil to the left.......someone's chakin a tambourine!! :bigeyes:

lol. panned to the left

I persoanlly think that anyone dissin' The Neptunes are jealous and frustrated beat makers who can't understand that maybe a simple beat and some creativity can create a huge hit. Music isnt complicated...it's what you do with it maaaaannn....bring it to life in your own little way that makes it great.

-SA

you need to quit hatin on the neptunes slystoned. sure, they might not be that musically advanced on everything, but they can make nice beats and write catchy hooks. nobody gives a damn (except maybe you) about how many instruments are in a beat as long as it gets the job done. im pretty sure most listeners didnt turn off "grindin" in disgust because it needed more reverb or didnt have any strings in the hook. simple or not, they make hot songs, and i bet most of us couldnt duplicate that simplicity and make hits even if we tried. i commend their creativity. a lot of us can talk about how creative and innovative we are, and how we're completely original, but all of us pattern ourselves after something. there's just certain things we wont do at this point. i think its pretty cool that somebody had the balls to go against the grain & make stuff like grindin and milkshake and actually put em out as singles. and who the hell needs to worry about digging? you dont go forward if u stay in the past. when was the last time somebody became a super producer from jackin a sample & throwin a 1,2, 1,2 drum beat over it? you get to the top by filling voids, not by living in a time capsule. thats the reason so many neptunes & chingys pass yall purists by. you need to change clothes and go slystoned :D

DionteScott said:
you get to the top by filling voids, not by living in a time capsule. thats the reason so many neptunes & chingys pass yall purists by. you need to change clothes and go slystoned :D

:cheers: well said dionte.

1st of all...there's nothing wrong w/Fruity Loops if you know how to use it...9th Wonder used it on Jigga'z "Black" album...what did you use for your track on that or any other album???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Back