Nas and The Untitled Album, A review and analysis.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Let's put it likre this. Let's say you go to a burger shack that's known for arguably making the best burgers ever period. Everyone knows about the joint, but you're one of the few that are always eating there and you are on the arguing side that it is the best.

The original burger(illmatic) is now made with 0 trans fats(IWW)you're still getting the same burger, but it's slightly different. Still arguably the best burger period, and you're still on the side that says it's the best.

Then, they switch from grilling over a flame to using an economy pressure cooker(I Am). Now you're pissed!!! A certain flavor that gave the Burger it's greatness is gone, but still, arguably the best burger, you're still on the side saying it is.

Next, they add a new special sauce(Nastradomus)the good ingredients are there, but the burger just isn't good. It's not like running down to McDonalds or Burger King, but in trying to compete, it lost what made the burger special.

Afterwards, you get over the burgers and move on. the Restaraunt catches it's mistake removes the special sauce and gives you the same ol' o trans pressure cooked burger(Stillmatic/God's Son/Lost Tapes)that would've kept you satisfied, but you've already moved on to Jay's Crabshack, Weezy's Deli, ect. On top of that, they're packaging it as the "Original Burger". You go back to the Burger joint, but you dream of it giving you the same original burger that got you addicted.

Next, they try to revamp and push the orignal burger and make an epic Fail!!!(Street Disciple). Customers no longer care, start treating the restaraunt as nothing more than another Fast food joint. Only visit when it's on their way home or nothing else is open.

Then the restaraunt get's an Idea!!! They know their burgers are no longer satisfying, so instead of putting forth the effort to go back to even the 0trans fat grilled burger, the decide they'll call the restaraunt "Barth's Burgers" Let roches run around, use puke as a special sauce, pick their nose in front of customers, food poisoning, ect(Hip hop is dead).

After that, they change the name and look of the restaraunt again for shock value. You think I'm even gonna waste my time to step back in the muthaf**ka after what they did with the last change to see if they got my burger right?

I love my burgers too much, f**k that!
pure bullsheeeiiiit

terrell860 said:
pure bullsheeeiiiit
Wow, amazing debate. So much elaboration! I completely undestand your point. Proved me to be totally wrong....

Wait...If I just say "bullsheeeiiiit" back to you, that will completely cancel out your combative genius. Will it not? Let's see, shall we?

BULLLLLLLLSSSSSSSHHHHHEEEEEEEIIIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!

Okay, my point is now valid again.

Wow, amazing debate. So much elaboration! I completely undestand your point. Proved me to be totally wrong....

Wait...If I just say "bullsheeeiiiit" back to you, that will completely cancel out your combative genius. Will it not? Let's see, shall we?

Again...I'll reiterate my opinion...pure bullsheitttt...nothing you have said is fact and pure opinion....when I said pure bullsheeitt thats was strictly my opinion..therefore being I dont have to prove anything...but in the end...I know my opinion is based on authentic love of the music and genre and people like you..simple followers of shock threads who take pride in trying down play whats great and uplift whats not..(and no I aint saying everysingle nas project was great i.e. nastrodomous..which stills kill alotta ****)

Last edited:

Classic......

Dot_Robinson said:
It's far from shortsighted. Hip-Hop Is Dead was a shock title to me, so is Nigger. In my honest opinion, Nas uses these shock titles to cover up his inconsistencies and failure to reinvent himself.

I don't think no one can say Nas has recreated himself, nor can they say he's consistent with his material.

Yo, u guys r bein over critical.

if he wasn't doin these "shock tactics" then everybody would be talkin **** about him bein irrellevent and not knowing how to market himself, cuz we all know the labels don't do **** when it comes to marketing. honestly, if only more rappers took his appraoch they wouldn't be complaining about labels not doin **** for them.

Failure to reinvent himself? first of all, how many times has Jay reinvented himself? How about Scarface? Pac was around for a good 6 years, did he ever reinvent himself (aside from doin the Humpty Hump to becomin a Gangsta Rapper?)

What would be u'r idea of Nas reinventing himself? We already have to deal with the lames that don't want him to change at all and are always screamin "where's Premo? Where's Pete Rock?" it's like Nas said himself, "They thought i'd make another Illmatic/ but it's always forward i'm movin, never backwards..."

Everytime he comes out he tries something new. It was Written was pretty different compared to Illmatic. Nas was the only New York cat ****in with Dre. and who else was puttin out singles like "If I Ruled the World" and "Street Dreams?"

Then "I Am..." dropped, and trust me, i've heard a lot of Rap albums, and this is the only one where every single track has some type of topic. there's not a single "straight spittin" track on there. Who does **** like that?

Nastradamus, along with Hip Hop is Dead is at the bottom of his discogs totem pole, but definitely not as bad as people make it out to be. Nobody even hated that "you owe me" song until Jay made it cool to. matter of fact, anybody that was around back then will be able to co sign this, that song was in steady rotation on the radio for about 2 years. even when it wasn't on any countdowns, DJ's were still throwin it on. where were all the haters back then? on this album, Nas was probably the first rapper to do a song with Ron Isley and spit murder raps over christmas carrols (even before 50 Cent.) And songs like "Life We Chose, "Last Words," and "God Love Us" were pretty deep.

on Stillmatic we saw Nas tellin a story backwards, reuniting with Large Pro & AZ. While Jay was puttin out "H to the Izzo" Nas put out "Got Yourself a Gun." Jay put out "Girls, Girls, Girls," Nas put out "One Mic."

on God's Son, Nas told stories like there was no tommorrow, and they were entertaining! he even opened the album with a story. He broke his beef down like no other rapper has before on "Last Real N---a Alive" and read out of his rhyme book.

Street's Disciple had Nas spittin as a chick, and it took a while for people to catch on. His buzz single "Thief's Theme" was some straight grimey ****, and his second single was him spittin with his pops over a blues record... and this was in the most bubblegum times in rap since Nas been in the game. Not to mention the second disc had some of the most cohesivens i've ever heard in rap.

Hip Hop is Dead, like i said, is one of Nas' worst, but Nas' worst is still better than 90% of the ****. U can't say he wasn't sayin **** on the album either. The thing about Nas is that he actually backs up his marketing gimmicks.

and if u think this new album is wack, or that he's not backin up what he the original title was, then i don't know what to say. it's a good album. Nas is hungry again, and he was never the type of rapper that u would understand what he was fully sayin until u listen to the album/track several times. I just noticed how ill that Toomp track is yesterday, after bumpin it for a month.

too many people expect Nas to be perfect, magnifying every one of his flaws... u'r not lookin for a rapper, u'r lookin for god.

If you grew up influenced by Nas, know he was one of if not the best rapper of all times, you can't tolerate the bullsh*t he get's away with putting out now.

yeah, his music isn't as hot as it used to be, but to call it "bull****" is an overstatement.

Dot Robinson said:
I understand Nas is one of the greatest of all-time, but he has his flaws and to ignore those flaws is to be naive.

dog, everyone has flaws, and yea, to ignore them would be naive... but at the same time u can't just say "i'm not listening to him" or I'm not buying his album" because of a couple flaws (that really aren't that major to begin with.) that's just as ignorant as blindly following everything he (or anyone else) does.

Nas is held up to standards no other rapper is. It's a good thing in the sense that it shows the fans appreciate what Nas is capable of, but at the same time it clouds the judgement of those fans and ends up outweighing the good music he puts out.

My complaint about Nas is that his wordplay, while still solid, isn't what it use to be. content wise, i still think he got it tho.

jersey, that was a good post man
the way you write the argument / answers to comments is what I want FP to be all about. (instead of the fights / insults I read so often) Way to go...

I havent heard the album yet, will have to listen

Let's put it likre this. Let's say you go to a burger shack that's known for arguably making the best burgers ever period. Everyone knows about the joint, but you're one of the few that are always eating there and you are on the arguing side that it is the best.

The original burger(illmatic) is now made with 0 trans fats(IWW)you're still getting the same burger, but it's slightly different. Still arguably the best burger period, and you're still on the side that says it's the best.

Then, they switch from grilling over a flame to using an economy pressure cooker(I Am). Now you're pissed!!! A certain flavor that gave the Burger it's greatness is gone, but still, arguably the best burger, you're still on the side saying it is.

Next, they add a new special sauce(Nastradomus)the good ingredients are there, but the burger just isn't good. It's not like running down to McDonalds or Burger King, but in trying to compete, it lost what made the burger special.

Afterwards, you get over the burgers and move on. the Restaraunt catches it's mistake removes the special sauce and gives you the same ol' o trans pressure cooked burger(Stillmatic/God's Son/Lost Tapes)that would've kept you satisfied, but you've already moved on to Jay's Crabshack, Weezy's Deli, ect. On top of that, they're packaging it as the "Original Burger". You go back to the Burger joint, but you dream of it giving you the same original burger that got you addicted.

Next, they try to revamp and push the orignal burger and make an epic Fail!!!(Street Disciple). Customers no longer care, start treating the restaraunt as nothing more than another Fast food joint. Only visit when it's on their way home or nothing else is open.

Then the restaraunt get's an Idea!!! They know their burgers are no longer satisfying, so instead of putting forth the effort to go back to even the 0trans fat grilled burger, the decide they'll call the restaraunt "Barth's Burgers" Let roches run around, use puke as a special sauce, pick their nose in front of customers, food poisoning, ect(Hip hop is dead).

After that, they change the name and look of the restaraunt again for shock value. You think I'm even gonna waste my time to step back in the muthaf**ka after what they did with the last change to see if they got my burger right?

I love my burgers too much, f**k that!

I think I just found my new reference for every Nas dickrider who got on after Ether.

OMG good quote!!

I personally always just (!) listenned to Illmatic
I don't have any point of view on Nas' work after that, I just have been so satisfied and impressed with Illmatic, I thought I had years of enjoyment in front of me (and I have)... Never had the occasion to wonder what came next

that quote was good! I just love how you wrote this analogy.... I cna smell the meat :D

terrell860 said:
Again...I'll reiterate my opinion...pure bullsheitttt...nothing you have said is fact and pure opinion....when I said pure bullsheeitt thats was strictly my opinion..therefore being I dont have to prove anything...but in the end...I know my opinion is based on authentic love of the music and genre and people like you..simple followers of shock threads who take pride in trying down play whats great and uplift whats not..(and no I aint saying everysingle nas project was great i.e. nastrodomous..which stills kill alotta ****)
See, I can respect that. It's an opinionated statement. Same thing I made that for some reason you can't respect. Your last post of 2 words was an insult to the entire process of stating opmions. If you're not going to elaborate, why even post. You were better off just dropping a Myspace link.

Don't get mad because I feel Nas hasn't given 100%. Most who are defebnding him are still agreeing with me that he's not. The only thing he has to do is go in the studio, and deliver. No second job, no other responcibilities.

You guys are simply saying his 60-70% efforts are acceptable. The only thing we seem to disagree on is this. I betcha Soulja Boy's working harder to make his next album hot than nas has worked this millineum. Sorry I'm not impressed by half azz records I could make better stuff then my damn self.

FPers always comment on how "dumb" mainstream music fans are. Look at yourselves, listen to what you're saying. I say Nas's albums havent been amazing in years, you say "yeah, but they're still better than". You guys give the same defence for The Roots.

Hip hop won't get no better with this type mentality. "But I'm a big dreamer, so I'mma come up with somethin'."

You guys give the same defence for The Roots.

I'ma defend this for some damn reason:

Oh yeah, I can actually listen to Game Theory and Rising Down and say they are decent albums, nothing compared to Illadelph or Things Fall Apart BUT I would put them ahead of Jay's last 4 efforts or Weezy's last 2. SD, HHID, and half of Untitled on the other hand bored me to tears.

to the folks who are quick to get "upset" and post offensive words like "bull****t" etc:

remember that IT IS OK IF PEOPLE DON'T THINK LIKE YOU :)

know what I'm saying?

It's cool that we can all SHARE our POINT OF VIEW
and that not everyone has the same

you can't "prove wrong" someone ELSE's FEELINGS

so.. no fights please... you see a fight? click on that REPORT BUTTON please thanks

take care

ThaNinjaMonkey88 said:
I'ma defend this for some damn reason:

Oh yeah, I can actually listen to Game Theory and Rising Down and say they are decent albums, nothing compared to Illadelph or Things Fall Apart BUT I would put them ahead of Jay's last 4 efforts or Weezy's last 2. SD, HHID, and half of Untitled on the other hand bored me to tears.
How the tables have turned!!! Usually you guys are the ones talking about how hip hop is changed and I defend it. But now, we talk about the people who gave us the classics and how they don't deliver now, and the gears shift? lol.

So when Wayne does the 2 best albums of his career(over a decade) in the last 2 times up, he get's no respect. When Soulja Boy(who just came out for the 1st time)doesn't follow the "real hip hop template", he's chastised.

But when the dudes known for giving us quality music drop the ball, they're given a pass?

Quick analogy.

If I make a pasta dish(being that I'm not a legendary chef)and it's decent enogh people eat it up, I did aiight. Now an elitist comes in and would say "I did this wrong, that wrong, ect". Fans of my food would make those elitists upset. They'd say "why do you like his crappy pasta? you must be too dumb to know the difference between bullsh*t and quality.

The next week those same elitist go to critique a 5 star restarunt that's been in the business of quality gourmet cousine for years. If the get a 3 star meal...who are they gonna criticize the hardest. Me, or the 5 star restaraunt.

lol. Getcha minds right.

Quick analogy.

If I make a pasta dish(being that I'm not a legendary chef)and it's decent enogh people eat it up, I did aiight. Now an elitist comes in and would say "I did this wrong, that wrong, ect". Fans of my food would make those elitists upset. They'd say "why do you like his crappy pasta? you must be too dumb to know the difference between bullsh*t and quality.

The next week those same elitist go to critique a 5 star restarunt that's been in the business of quality gourmet cousine for years. If the get a 3 star meal...who are they gonna criticize the hardest. Me, or the 5 star restaraunt.

lol. Getcha minds right.
Actually a great post, but stop with the food analogies. You about to make me break down and go to White Castle and my fatass don't need no more White Castle lol.

Last edited:
we all juss need to chill...hes not gonna top illmatic[[nd im guilty of it too]...we put him at such a high standard that we limit ourselves from hearing what hes saying nd focus too much on "this is gonna be soo much better than illmatic" then were disappointed...just listen to him spit great music thats smart too

Lil E aka Al Simmons said:
we all juss need to chill...hes not gonna top illmatic[[nd im guilty of it too]...we put him at such a high standard that we limit ourselves from hearing what hes saying nd focus too much on "this is gonna be soo much better than illmatic" then were disappointed...just listen to him spit great music thats smart too

The thing is it's not great music, it's not even good, it's a step above average because the tracks end up so damn wack because of the beats.

Also, what is smart about any of this album. OH FOX NEWS GONNA MISINFORM YOU, KNOW THAT SON, lol welcome to 2002 strips of the Boondocks Nas.

mano 1 said:
OMG good quote!!

I personally always just (!) listenned to Illmatic
I don't have any point of view on Nas' work after that, I just have been so satisfied and impressed with Illmatic, I thought I had years of enjoyment in front of me (and I have)... Never had the occasion to wonder what came next

that quote was good! I just love how you wrote this analogy.... I cna smell the meat :D
I think people are misinterperating what I'm saying as negativity towards Nas. Absolutely the opposite. He's given us such amazing music that I refuse to tolerate his mediocrity.

You don't go to Olive Garden for Chef Boy R D. But I wouldn't be surprised if more people ate pasta out of a can than out of a fancy restaraunt in the last 24 hours. How can we criticize the "quick buck mainstream rappers" and not expect 5 star cousine every time from our respected veteran chefs? Sorry, lol, no more food references.

Back