MC Jelly Donut vs. Lady Sovereign

I think that beef was partially hydrogenated, I mean fabricated.

gat damm thats funny, I watched the "freestyle" clip that this dude put up over the Eminem beat, this dude is straight crazy.

I still wonder wtf Jay was thinkin when he signed Sov. It's not like Def Jam advertises her.

^^^Jay was trying to cash in on the U.K. scene.

It's the same reason Jay and Dame signed S.A.S. but they went with Dame after the split so Jay signed Sov.

As for her promotion...well, how many artists on Def Jam have been promoted lately?

hell, this Jelly Doughnut "beef" is probably Def Jam promoting her (controversy sells)

check out this site:

http://www.helpmegetrandomwithladysovereign.com/

^^^the guy that owns that site is or was Jelly Doughnut's roommate at the time.

staged? perhaps...

Yep yep. The UK has a good hip hop scene. It was only a matter of time before us greedy Americans would try to cash in....lol

Yeah I forgot who said it but as far as Def Jam goes. Jay-Z is good at promoting Jay-Z and that's about it. I honestly can't understand why they put Jay-Z in that position. Did they really think he was gonna stay retired from rap and do what was best for Def Jam's artists and not for himself?

alric said:
...the "U.K. scene".... hahahahahahaha

Why are you laughin'? You think hip hop is only big in the u.s.? Japan is crazy when it comes to hip hop.

Last edited:
Cameron Thomas said:
Why are you laughin'? You think hip hop is only big in the u.s.? Japan is crazy when it comes to hip hop.

UK ain't too big for hiphop, and bootleg market is nuts in Japan... Germany has somewhat good market for hiphop. Must be cos of Checkpoint Charlie, lol.

1005 said:
UK ain't too big for hiphop, and bootleg market is nuts in Japan... Germany has somewhat good market for hiphop. Must be cos of Checkpoint Charlie, lol.

Yeah but alot of what doesn't do well in the states does well in European and Asian countries.

alric said:
...the "U.K. scene".... hahahahahahaha

both Jay and Dame saw potential in the overseas market, could you explain why that would be funny?

1005 said:

IMO, I think they were trying to nurture the urban music scene out there and increase the visibility of Roc-A-Wear and the Roc-A-Fella brand at the same time.

but they have both stated in interviews that they wanted to break into that market.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sway from the U.K.? and didn't he win the B.E.T. award for best U.K. hip-hop artist?

It would appear that Americans with money seem to think that there is a scene worth investing in, even if it is just a small one.

but what do I know, I'm just some guy in America that listens to music...
:cheers:

T-Bear said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sway from the U.K.? and didn't he win the B.E.T. award for best U.K. hip-hop artist?

Yea but how many have heard of him in US?

not many, at least not many that I'm aware of.

trust me, I understand and agree with the point that you're making. I'm just saying that people in the music business over here must think that they can capitalize off of the overseas scene while it's still developing or else they would ignore it. similar to how record execs got fat pockets over here by signing little known rappers from New York to record contracts in the early 80's.

Back