Making beats on headphones..

The-Chronics89

SUCKS!! Lol.

Lately I've taken to making beats at around 11pm to 2am, which means that I have to use headphones so I don't wake up the other people in my house. I can't stand using them!

I have the Sony MDRV300's, which are decent for iPod use etc, but everytime I think I've got it sounding good I reference on my speakers (which I have found give a much 'truer' sound then headphones) and its lacking A LOT of high end (the headphones boost it considerably). Even when I try to allow for it it just comes out wayyy off.

Not only does the sound response suck, but I hate having my ears enclosed when I'm tryna be as creative as possible, they get fatigued so quickly (especially at night), and you just start to get really frustrated lol.

I know everyone's gonna say 'get better headphones' or whatever, but even then I wouldn't like em that much more, they feel so intrusive and unnatural.

Anyone else hate headphones with a passion? Lol. It's 12am and I'm mad cause I can't make any beats, and even if I did I'd wake up in the morning and delete that sh!t anyway.

Last edited:
you have to get so better headphones that are comfortable
some headphones do cause ear fatigue and that **** hurts

i had some Extreme Isolation EX-29
them **** made my ear hurt and give me headaches

so i when out and got me a pair of
akg k240,i can wear those all day

ive bought about 5 pairs of these in my lifetime, always go back to the mdrv series, since i DJ'ed, their great and only about 120 US dollars

MDRV500DJ.gif

now i used these to make tracks sometimes and the track always came out ok, the only complaint i had with them was the bass range, i had to mash the phones to my ear a lil to hear low sub type bass, but my mixes usually came out acceptable

Get Beyer dynamic DT770 Pros,your ears will thank you. They are really really really comfortable. AKG 240s are another good choice but aren't as comfortable.

I make my tracks in AKG K220M's...and often get compliments on the mix, I was listening to an older track in the car yesterday and surprised my self at how clean the mix was, but there are times were my bass is too loud due to being mixed in headphones but that's a quick fix....its a matter of quality studio headphones and adjusting to them

I don't think I've ever made a beat without using only headphones, as sad as that sounds. Cause the speakers I've been working with are even worse than headphones. But I just DJ'd my beats live the other day with some local MCs and MURDERED the show, the sound came through so well, so anything's possible

Man I remember I went out, spent like $30 on some sony joints and they sounded so bad. lol

I swear to you, to this day, I still us $9 headphones. It sounds no different from when I burn beats to a CD. Not necessarily saying that it'd work for everyone else. I'm just saying; sometimes that expensive sh-t doesn't do you any good.

Wasn't there a thread a while back, talking about those Dre Headphones sounding terrible??

i think you should condition your ears anyway before you use headphones, compare the sound out of your monitors to the eq in the headphones so that you have a sence of boundries when you do your mixing because at the end of the day, an engineer can fix you up but you gotta give him a good starting point... a good thing to do to help develop your ear is talking to an engineer about the limits of certain sound and comparing your music to industry standard music in whatever genre you specialize in and then finding a balance between them.

I use midprice headphones all the time.. but I always listen to my tracks from living room stereos and they sound good. Only problem is, that using headphones while mixing can let some sounds stick up too much from other sounds, especially it's easy to do that with bass. I have learned to avoid that but sometimes it just happens.

My monitors are in a diffucult position in my apartment and my desk sucks and I work with a laptop and usually at a local coffee house, so I've learned to love my headphones. Quite impractical to bring an amplifier, mixer, and two monitors to the cafe.

Do need to get to mixing some of these tracks, though... probably shouldn't do headphone mixes... Hmmz...

i just got a pair of Denon AHD-1001's after having those popular Bose headphones. I haven't used them much for beatmaking because i'd rather use my monitors b/c of all the boosting and such that they do to get a better sound.

Dot_Robinson said:
I thought the rule of thumb was to never use headphones when mixing, except to monitor reverb and delay?

...rule is to use whatever works for you

NoneOfYourBusiness said:
i just got a pair of Denon AHD-1001's after having those popular Bose headphones. I haven't used them much for beatmaking because i'd rather use my monitors b/c of all the boosting and such that they do to get a better sound.

Bose should never be used for audio mixing lol...you want headphones that give an accurate response...not all the sound enhancing bass boosting stuff...i've only owned one set of AKG's but i've seen other users own here recommend them also, i personally love mine and my next set will def. be AKG again

Last edited by a moderator:
Dot_Robinson said:
I thought the rule of thumb was to never use headphones when mixing, except to monitor reverb and delay?

Ya that´s what I was having a problem with a while back is getting the right balance of reverb, it sounded way to wet in the headphones and too dry on my speakers, I posted a thread about it a while back, now I kinda use both and try to find a balance.

I know exaclty what you´re talking about BW, whenever I try to lay something down using my headphones and then listen to it on my speakers it sounds way different, but I live in an apartment complex so sometimes they´re a nescasery evil. My speakers a basic, but they´re a great reference monitor so when I check my mix in my headphones it still sounds clean. What I do now is just keep my headphones around my neck and check my mix with them every once in a while.

i use headphones all the time, i got some sony monitoring headphones they cost about $20, i'mma get some betta ones when i get some cheese.

Back