Kid Cudi, "The money, cash, hoes thing needs deaded"

Who doesn't love money, cash and hoes?
I know that i do...

Why do these happy rappers think that they should decide what content is produced and consumed by the rest of us?

Let me have my money, my cash and my hoes.

So you are the sole judge of what is and isn't hiphop? So someone who uses the exact same reasoning as you, and maintains that the Portishead song IS hiphop, is wrong?

yes, they are wrong. that song is wack as **** by the way

Last edited:
This is an article I wrote on my blog for my personal beat store and website, but I'll post it here because I think it's pretty directly related to the thread.. This is not a response to any one person, but how I personally feel very strongly about hip hop today. To anyone who thinks nobody is painting graffiti or dancing anymore in the underground you need some more real 'street' experiences. Graffiti is very alive today, as is freestyle MC'ing on the street, obviously outside of the news and media. If your entire view of hip hop culture comes from a computer then your street experience has been highly skewed, if not non-existent. Anyways, here's the original post:

www.ginandchronicproductions.com

3 Common Myths About Hip Hop that are Absolutely False

1. Hip Hop is About Money - Hip Hop as a cultural movement stands on four pillars, and between dancing, rapping, painting, and making beats; ground down it is really all about expressing yourself. Whether somebody is addressing his/her thoughts and feelings about their mind state or his/her reactions to what they’ve seen in the world it is always a deep expression of one’s internal self. Money as a major motivator doesn’t have room to fit in, and although you hear plenty of MC’s talk about chasing paper, hustling, or stacking a grip, it’s all secondary. It doesn’t matter if the paintings are in galleries or on the streets of the ghettos, and the same goes with any other real hip hop art, beats or otherwise, the heart and soul is what counts. Anything else is not worth your time in this culture.

2. Hip Hop is Dead - This could not be any farther from the truth. With the rise in popularity of software like Reason, FL Studio, Live, and the rest of the major DAW’s there has never been a time like this before where producing music was so easily approachable. Everyone knows somebody who’s ‘making beats’ nowadays on a Macbook in their bedroom. The sheer volume of producers aside, the power of social networking mediums and forums have allowed many artists to build their own careers solely off of fan following, completely independent of a record label. The major league record industry has always been an element of Hip Hop that holds a lot of really good music back, and keeps very repetitive and low quality music blaring. Without this parasitic relationship, who knows how much we can make things grow.

3. Getting Involved is Expensive
- This is a terrible fallacy about Hip Hop, especially music, that you need money to be a part of it. This culture has been built from the ground up, and all of the expensive equipment has been designed specifically as a result of the culture, not the other way around. The barriers for entry couldn’t be any lower with the internet at your hands. While the ceiling is high for what you can build with some financial backing, you need virtually no capital at all to express your thoughts and feelings artistically.

Last edited:
Didn't kid cudi get hot off of a song about weed?

If thats how you saw Pursuit of Happiness then you missed the message it was delivering.

That song was about smoking weed (or drugs in general really) in order to chase and achieve happiness because nothing else in the characters eyes will give that feeling except the weed.

If thats how you saw Pursuit of Happiness then you missed the message it was delivering.

That song was about smoking weed (or drugs in general really) in order to chase and achieve happiness because nothing else in the characters eyes will give that feeling except the weed.

yeah, see every rap song (or song for that matter) about weed/drugs since the dawn of time.

you guys gotta stop with the "if you don't like the song, you didn't get it" mantra. its not that hard to understand the meaning of a song and not be impressed. it isn't automatically "hating".

kid cudi makes music for people that still work in elevators and heroin addicts (wasn't this guy caught with liquid cocaine or was that just jon forte?)

when I hear artist like this with their preachy "we have to stop with the bling bling era" talk the two words "nigga please" come to mind (yes even for macklemore).

I quoted you.

how does that misrepresent what you said?

you stated

"If thats how you saw Pursuit of Happiness then you missed the message it was delivering.

That song was about smoking weed (or drugs in general really) in order to chase and achieve happiness because nothing else in the characters eyes will give that feeling except the weed."

how is that any different than what all rap songs about weed/drugs are about?

the only difference is kudi seemed to be a little more aware of the futility and emptiness such a thought process (equating drug use to happiness) is but even then most rappers elude to or acknowledge this fact.

so again how is what he does groundbreaking.

It doesnt need to die out completly, there just has to be a balance. Its ok to rap about livine the livestyle of being rich and famous, as long as it isnt the ONLY thing you talk about.

Rap needs more variation.

As I have stated in the past, I don't even listen to any of the new stuff. Rather I don't check for any of the new stuff, but if I stumble across something then cool. Just based on his interview I'm going to check dude out. I like the fact that he wants to do what isn't today's norm, which is to be today's norm. Of course, that doesn't mean I'll like it. In my nephew's car is really the only time i'm exposed to the new stuff, and most of what I hear in his car just ain't my cup of tea.

I'm a fan of Hip-Hop. As a fan, I love having choices. Although I usually listen to music that breaks off from the normal M.C.H, I do, at times, enjoy listening to Rick Ross, or other peddlers of cultural poison.

False!...hiphop is a culture comprised of several things: DJ-ing, MC-ing ( rapping), Graffiti, Breaking and Beat boxing.

Dont let the mainstream acceptance of rap fool you into thinking that Rap = hiphop. It does not.

That dude said Rap music and Hip Hop music are the same thing, lol.

Check this out... Country music and Dub Step are the same thing....

Profound...

Back