Jay-Z turns his back on the Hood

O

overproof

Overproof said:
{RE: New Nets Arena}
Jay Z is only a minority share owner. I believe something like 17%. He was only brought into the project as a political tool to win support for building the Stadium in Brooklyn. The real owner is Ratner, whose company Forest City Ratner is planing a huge development downtown Brooklyn, including a stadium, new housing, a mall(just built). They needed a young influential african american in on the project because a bunch of houses in the lower part of prospect height's a largly black community, need to be torn down. Ratner already suscessfully relocated part of Foth Greene projects, and convertrd the buildings into co-op's. I think jigga regrets getting involved in the project now, but's it's too late for him to back out. ........Jay Z is just a pawn in something much bigger than just a basketball stadium or team.
...{originally posted 7-6-2004 from "Jigga and the Nets"}

Update: On Dec 21st the Atlantic Yards Project a.k.a The New Nets Arena was approved. It might sound good, but they are destroying a neighborhood. You can see some pictures and visit some links on the Atlantic Yard Project at http://D.elirio.us. The above quote was posted here over two years ago, and people have been fighting this projects for years, including Spike Lee. You might of seen Spike Lee's "Defend Brooklyn" shirts somewhere. To build the Atlantic Yards Project, the developers are using "eminent domain" laws to take peoples homes away. They are also kicking people out of Prospect Heights by raising rents so high that the current tenants are forced to move.

Jay-Z said "I can't turn my back on the Hood", but what do you call this?

overproof said:

good looken on this post Overproof. Jay is a sellout and this isn't anything new. as a artists he is talented but as a individual he has only his personal gains in mind. this along with other moves he has made makes this evident. it fucced me up when i saw him giving that million dollars to the Red Cross trying to get a photo opp. if he was serious he would have wired that money to someone like David Banners organization. he mentions he poor decision in his album but acknowledging your poor decisions doesnt rectify your actions.

Posted originally in 2004.

I'll only feel free to comment of we have a 2006-7 post of the update to this. No need to rant over outdated news. Might be the same things going on, but, no, need something more current.

MrJames851 said:
if he's truly a pawn, a pawn isn't responsible per se
he's being moved by the chess player

what do you mean? he CHOSE to be a pawn no one forced his hand in that deal.

overproof said:
Update: On Dec 21st the Atlantic Yards Project a.k.a The New Nets Arena was approved. It might sound good, but they are destroying a neighborhood. You can see some pictures and visit some links on the Atlantic Yard Project at http://D.elirio.us. The above quote was posted here over two years ago, and people have been fighting this projects for years, including Spike Lee. You might of seen Spike Lee's "Defend Brooklyn" shirts somewhere. To build the Atlantic Yards Project, the developers are using "eminent domain" laws to take peoples homes away. They are also kicking people out of Prospect Heights by raising rents so high that the current tenants are forced to move.

u should post this on wikipedia to let the world know.

jay z is an ant compared to the real multinational buissinessmen out there. he gets pushed around easy. they let him play but keep him on the leash

Some of ya'll need to STFU. If the ball was in your court you would have done the same thing.

Locke is right, in the end hes just a nigga wit some mills, i try to teach other young cats to make smart moves (im only nineteen but sh!t at least i try to help the future generation). I keep tellin cats doent forget where u came from....I take a trip home to trinidad, to the same fvckin broke down fvckin neighborhood (it's worse than any ghetto in da U.S.) and i realize that the fam i have there only have me, it's all on me to stay in college and get that diploma and keep fvckin wit music. I think Jay need to go soul searchin cause alot of brothers forget that out there, there's some young cat hungry like you who needs guidance and wisdom.....and alot of niccaz in hip hop aint providin dat knowledge...I jus wanna bless da cats on here who really help young niccaz like me out............

For anybody out there on the knowledge hunt read Robert Green's 48 Laws to Power... I aint no book reader but the knowledge, wisdom, guidence in that book will PROPELL you farther than you could emagine, but before you read that READ your basic instruction before leaving earth (Bible)

Last edited:
JMaCTraX said:
For anybody out there on the knowledge hunt read Robert Green's 48 Laws to Power... I aint no book reader but the knowledge, wisdom, guidence in that book will PROPELL you farther than you could emagine, but before you read that READ your basic instruction before leaving earth (Bible)

The 48 laws of power is a must have book.

Eminent domain is messed up, raising rent however, what's wrong with that? Why shouldn't you charge the maximum possible that you can get?

Sidious said:
The 48 laws of power is a must have book.

Combine that with Think And Grow Rich, dude here at FP, Staggerlee turned me on to that one, INCREDIBLE BOOK. Alters the way you think, about the most basic thoughts.

Sadly but 'powerful' in Hip-Hop's eyes pales in comparison to corporate america powerful. Sure, a few of us in the right places can get people to switch from gold to platinum, or throwback jerseys to button downs, but, sadly most of us in position just get played like puppets in a bigger game. These rap Moguls aren't doing **** but getting played.

Hip-Hop's major businessmen who came out posing as real 'businessmen' only focus on one thing.

MATERIALISM.

They get it through shoes, diamonds, liquors, watches, clothes, and etc....ALL items that are devalued when you walk out the store with them. People have died because of those items listed above. Sure you have to eat, you need materialism, but....

Where are the Hip-Hopper's who invest their superficial "Hip-Hop Power" into long lasting assets such as, knowledge, education, wisdom, and upliftment OUT of the communities. Tha hood.

The only thing I can remotely see with Hip-Hop Moguls is awareness, always aware of Urban issues, but never moving towards a solution, too busy beefing between coast, ALLOWING the influence of the 'powers that be' over our music to reign supreme, rather than, transform the influence over into something that the entire Hip-Hop community can benifit from, but we to busy frontin in the CEO's office for the namesake of the position rather than the responsibility....cough cough *Jay-Z* they probably laughing at him, moving him like a pawn on a larger chessboard.

Sorry for my rant, just my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong.

trust and believe somebody gonna get in the game and make it happen... The man was Tupac but we know why Tupac REALLY got assasinated ( kinda Malcolm Martinish) but please believe we be be's kids we dont die we multiply...

Tupac told us ALONG time ago about Jay-Z

Nah, Tupac wasn't the dude to do it. If he was he would be alive today and in position.

It comes down to one thing. Gotta be somebody from THIS generation to take a stand. Fyck relying on some 60's-70's babies to handle issues that concern OUR music and culture also, as we sit back judging their actions from comfortable living judging him, Jay might have thought he was doing the right thing, just got outsmarted, and now it's going to affect some people, sadly..

To put it simply, it's got to be somebody who respects ALL the culture, and is a positive influence on their music scene. And the thing is that it isn't ONE person, who is solely reponsible to head all of this responsibility for ALL music scenes of Hip-Hop..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's easy to talk about what other people ARE NOT doing. It's real easy to sit back on the internet and point the finger. To planet and the rest of you, what are YOU DOING to change the situation?

Guess what? Black people get used every day. There are black people in high ranking positions in every layer of business and power in this country, and some are there just to be a figure head.

Hell...look at Colin Powel and Condi Rice. George Bush put them there just to make people forget about how he jacked Florida. Condi's the black face on the Iraq war. He makes her get out there and do all his dirty work.

Guess what people...IT HAPPENS!! Jay-Z ain't the first, nor will he be the last.

But even though those people are using him to get what they want, he's getting something out of the deal too. He's one of the few blacks in the front office of a national professional sports teams. He's serving as a role model for millions of kids out there. He's leading by example.

Y'all act like he approved running up in Brooklyn and taking folks houses...

Guess what...THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE BEING DISPLACED DON'T OWN THAT LAND ANYWAY!!! They are just paying to make someone else rich.

Y'all ever thought about how many jobs are gonna be created if that arena comes to Brooklyn? The arena alone is gonna bring with it hundreds of jobs. Jobs that the brooklyn youth can get, to get them off the corner, into something constructive.

What about the construction contracts themselves? A nice piece of those construction contracts are gonna go to MINORITY OWNED CONSTRUCTION COMPANIES!!! That in itself is gonna be millions funneled into the black/latino community. That's generating revenue into our communities, providing jobs for our people.

Eminent domain sucks, but it is what it is. It doesn't just affect black people in brooklyn, but it affects EVERYBODY. Just within the last 2 years here in Cincinnati, a developer used eminent domain to snatch the houses and land in one of this city's most affluent neighborhoods. White folks. So it happens.

Bottom line, don't blame this on Jay-Z. Don't go saying "he's turning his back on the hood", when most of you don't know SH!T about the hood. Jay-Z is an international superstar who employs PLENTY of his people from the HOOD. His boy Ty-Ty is an A&R exec at Def Jam. His boy Hip Hop is an A&R exec over at Atlantic. Not to mention his entourage, tour and show crews, etc.

Don't even ATTEMPT to judge that man until you look at YOURSELF.

He turned his back on THE HOOD? When was the last time ANY OF YOU talking any of that mess did ANYTHING for ANYBODY in the hood???

I'm from the hood...Nah, scratch that...I'm from the PROJECTS...and I ain't NEVER going back.

Back