Jay-Z: The New G.O.A.T.?

atl48 i feel you on the kool G rap thing but to say pac never had a hit album thats a big cup of haterade you have there.
Kool g is dope as hell or was. He doesntt however have any other styles or songs beside the ganster story. Pac had many views on the world and was able to put them on wax. thats what makes him hot not because he got shot. Ps roads to riches can not touch the makaveli album or all eyes on me.

Jay doesnt make my top five. Neither does Biggie.

Biggie can't make the top five with a great 1st album and 1 album of bootlegs. I cant give you a position on what might have been. I was not a fan of the second album. To Much RnB BS.

1.a Tupac
1.b Krs One. You young guys hsould go back and listen.
You are allowed to have more than rap style.
3. LL Kool J ( See Canibus) if you think he won't ruin you.
4. Rakim The R . What more do you have to say.
5. Nas Jay don't want it and Big can not touch his flow
lyrics(Vocabulary) or subject matter.

My only problem with biggie is he used his position to let the wrong Dudes in the game.
Puffy and Mase. Biggie is responsible for giving those two their ghetto passes. He cosigned on the shiny suit era.
I can't let that go.
Rap has been all downhill since then

Once you let those two on the Mic , Well anybody and everybody think they can rap now. Compared to those two anybody and everybody can.

Last edited:
atl48 said:
2pac was never even able to do one classic album
I trying really hard not to voice my opinion on this subject, cause we all are going to have our favorites, but to say Pac never had a classic album is crazy.

Last edited:
I like 2pac's albums, he had some pretty good ones but I don't think he ever released a legitimate classic album. He did lots of classic songs but his albums always had so many mediocre filler songs on them

Kool g is dope as hell or was. He doesntt however have any other styles or songs beside the ganster story. Pac had many views on the world and was able to put them on wax. thats what makes him hot not because he got shot. Ps roads to riches can not touch the makaveli album or all eyes on me.
You have a point with what you said about kool g rap, although I do think live and let die was better than anything 2pac released. But I don't see how anyone could say 2pac was better than chuck d. Fear of a black planet and a nation of millions were way better than any album 2pac released. And chuck d is such an important rapper the stuff he was doing was so much bigger than hiphop.

Anyone noticed how Jay Z talks in person or on interview?? It don't sound nothing like when he raps....He sounds like a pooty

Last edited:
Tupac wasn't the best lyricist, didn't have the best flow or had the best production and all of that but he had something to say and that made him great. Everything you heard on his albums was him feeling that. I don't think there has been any other rapper who ever accomplished that. He recorded the best hiphop album of all time in 7 days, that should be enough to be called G.O.A.T. right there. Nobody will ever do what tupac did. Just because you can rap and make hits doesn't mean your the greatest of all time. 2Pac was the Elvis of rap straight up, nobody will ever top him. Dear Mama and Hail Mary and alot more of his songs are timeless. Nobody will "get into" listening to Jay Z 50 years from now but I bet you there will be people getting into tupac just like there are people discovering miles davis, bob marley, jimi hendrix today. Jay Z is just a captured moment in time with the right beat behind it.

Chuck D better than Pac???.. Thats phuckin absurd. deadman said it all....

Whats so absurd about chuck d being better than pac. This is public enemy we are talking about they are one of the best rap groups ever. Chuck D had better skills than pac, he's message was more important that 2pac's and he wasn't such a hypocrite like 2pac was

Tupac wasn't the best lyricist, didn't have the best flow or had the best production and all of that but he had something to say and that made him great. Everything you heard on his albums was him feeling that. I don't think there has been any other rapper who ever accomplished that. He recorded the best hiphop album of all time in 7 days, that should be enough to be called G.O.A.T. right there. Nobody will ever do what tupac did.

That statment right there is just ridiculous. 2pac isn't the the only rapper who had something important to say. I've been throwing chuck d's name around a lot here but public enemy's message just as powerful and important as 2pac's and chuck d was a better rapper. And the makaveli album isn't close to the best hiphop album ever, I have it and it was good, but it isn't nearly as good as illmatic, fear of a black plantet, nation of millions to hold us back, 36 chambers, 93 til infinity, the chronic

Last edited:
Let me say this plain and simple. Lyrically Pac is the second best to Rakim. But overrall he is the greatest rapper of all time. His voice is powerful. When he spoke you felt his emotion. If he was angry you were angry. If he was serious you were serious. If he was partying you were partying. If he wanted you to hear his message you heard it. He spoke what he saw. He brought a message to millions of people that wouldn't have cared otherwise. He used the best metaphores out of anybody in the game. He could make a party track like I Get Around and then make a song with a great message like Keep Ya Head Up. That is what makes a great artist. Being multi dimensional. Pac was not a hypocrite. What most people don't know is that Pac would go to a children's hospital in every city that he performed in. He would donate millions of dollars. He would pick homeless people off of the street and bring them to his hotel room to sleep for the night.

And if you do not believe that Pac had a great albums you are not a real hip hop fan. Why don't you go get All Eyes on ME or Me Against the World. Those are two of the greatest rap albums ever. Ask any artist out there and they will tell you the same.

Last edited:
2pac is #1 on my list. Maybe not in terms of lyrics that made you go "whoa" (that goes to Biggie "I get more butts than ashtrays") but in terms of you feeling his songs. All of the rap albums I have are 2pac. I buy compilations of other hit rap songs like source awards cd and stuff like that but all my albums are tupac. I'll listen to him for the whole day. I don't know too much about the real old school rap because of my location but my other favourites aree: Nas, Biggie, Eminem for content and for flow I respect people like Andre 3000, Busta, Nas, Eminem 2Pac, Biggie, Mos Def, Special Ed (I think he is wicked), Mr.Cheeks, Treach and Big Pun.

Well.....First I want to say damn I never thought this thread would catch fire like this. If anything I thought I would get clowned for starting it. I'm in a rush so I really don't have time to respond like I want to, but I'll leave this food for thought right now.

Is Tupac the overwhelming choice...just because its the cool/hip/popular/right thing to say? Sorta like Halle Berry is the prettiest black woman on the planet.....MuHAHAHAHA!:bigeyes:

drjrock2003 said:
Let me say this plain and simple. Lyrically Pac is the second best to Rakim. But overrall he is the greatest rapper of all time. His voice is powerful. When he spoke you felt his emotion. If he was angry you were angry. If he was serious you were serious. If he was partying you were partying. If he wanted you to hear his message you heard it. He spoke what he saw. He brought a message to millions of people that wouldn't have cared otherwise. He used the best metaphores out of anybody in the game. He could make a party track like I Get Around and then make a song with a great message like Keep Ya Head Up. That is what makes a great artist. Being multi dimensional. Pac was not a hypocrite. What most people don't know is that Pac would go to a children's hospital in every city that he performed in. He would donate millions of dollars. He would pick homeless people off of the street and bring them to his hotel room to sleep for the night.

And if you do not believe that Pac had a great albums you are not a real hip hop fan. Why don't you go get All Eyes on ME or Me Against the World. Those are two of the greatest rap albums ever. Ask any artist out there and they will tell you the same.

The only problem i had with 2pac was that he'd make a song upliften black woman, then degrade um in his videos, and three other songs on his album. Its better to be hot, or cold, then lukewarm. Chuck d however was a real soldier, he said fight the power, and thats what he did, regardless of the slack he caught. Pac was torn between two world, and the evil side eventually led to his death. Besides , if it wasnt for chuck d, rakim , and krs, 2pac wouldnt have even had the consciuos side of hip-hop. Im sure they influenced him too. A student can be as good as, but never better than his teacher.

Last edited:
kaliyl,
I understand what you are saying, but contraditions are apart of the human nature. For instance, I respect and cherish all women , but I know when the devil is talking to me and the lust starts to kick in, man it's all over. I just act totally different. That's just apart of all humans until the day we die. But yeah, he definetly took from Chuck D & Rakim, but to me Pac greatest came from his ability to write from all aspects of life.

GamezBond said:
Jay-Z the G.O.A.T???? Not by a long shot. G.O.A.T. means that you spawn leigons of wannabes that imitate you or incorporate your style. Rakim...L.L......2pac....Dre....those r some

Think Of How many People not Just Artist , Who use the Term "Holla" or "I'm Focused" Or "Jeauh" (Yeah)

By ur own Definition he may be a "G.O.A.T"

Last edited by a moderator:
man when pac's albums came out it felt like at the time it was exactly how i felt with what i was going through. thats why to me he is g.o.a.t . as far as contradicting himself i mean he's a man we have many sides to us and he showed all of his. popular thing to say? whatever all i know is when me against the world and all eyez on me came out i was constantly bumpin that and i still do to this day. cant really say that about any other albums

pac is th #1...
i dunno who is #2,3,4 but puc def. is the numbers 1 rapper..
his not the #1 emcee, i'll admit it,,,but look at his deliver....
u can give him some wack lyrics, but he will kill on mic, eminem also has good delivery, but pac is the best....
to be honest, jay z sucks....he's not bad lyricaly, but when it comes rappin he sucks....

Back