How are people selling sampled beats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Thread... Rome you got...GOT.

Imagine Hip Hop without samples. It'll sound like drum and bass slowed down.

Nobody wants to hear digital two finger Keyboard beats. At least I don't.

I like instrumentation with soul...and so do you.

When I sold a beat 3 weeks ago that contain a sample from XYZ. I stated in the contact...the beat was FREE...Payment was for the work I did.

Daranged had some good lines. I will update my contracts in the morning.

Peace

Last edited:
it's important to clear your samples it's just respect for the original flow where they got it from but main-stream kinda dont like it because they just dont no matter how good it sounds it takes a promise up front money and back end money to make it happen and then your balls(overies) are being squeezzzzed for the pay out and large %'s on the album for some that got the budget (p-diddy) its ok just having the right people in your corner gets things done but if you dont have those people you do the math if it gets play they get all that money you get nothing cause going to court is hated by small and medium labels cause it's just not worth it unless you have a plan .... because court case's are in tv news anymore about these things HEY DID YOU KNOW SONY OWNS ALMOST ALL OF HIP HOP ?

lol @ rome and the tuff talk...funny guy I tell ya

if I sell you some weed and 5 blocks down the road you get busted with it,it ain't my responsibility to bail you out of jail.and thas understood w/o contracts..same principal as selling sampled beats imo ESP if it's in the contract..

'composer' producers already hate on 'sample' beats,the hotter the beat,the more they hate ..if the beat aint all that they laugh,if the beat is hot they get screwface ' pshh,he used a sample anyway!'..as with anything else,the hate gets stepped up once money is involved,so it sounds like mofos hatin another mofo for gettin money..let them worry bout their own legal matters

in my experience ppl buying sampled beats understand the concept clearly,it's other producer's that start tryna throw salt

You guys are a bunch of trannys, I hate how everyone on this website OVER thinks things and legal issues and stuff. Unless your artist is on a critically acclaimed record label, looking to push +25k units. It really dosn't matter. Don't be a little bitchh, a hot beat is a hot beat, and cats will rap to it and pay for it too. Gotta look at it from an emcee's stand point, if theres a dope PROG-ROCK grimey sampled beat, if thats what they're into, there're not going to switch to some cheesy J-Troup beat right?

And i highly doubt that 9th Wonder, cleared the Anita Baker record, i highly doubt Jake one got the "Home" joint cleared with the Jackson 5. I know evidence didnt clear the STYX sample....come on now

Last edited:
And i highly doubt that 9th Wonder, cleared the Anita Baker record, i highly doubt Jake one got the "Home" joint cleared with the Jackson 5. I know evidence didnt clear the STYX sample....come on now

Trust me young sir, they got that shyt cleared if they have entertainment lawyers. Both do and I know for a fact that you will get sued by the copywrite owner if you have a CD at a commerical retail like Best Buy or FYE (both do). Although it might slip by, and some cases it has, as a safety precaution the clear it if it is clearable. Both Anita Baker's reps and Motown have loosened up and allow people to sample them for credits and a fee. Just remember this rule, if you can reconize it, then the clients lawyers can too. Money is tight, thats why copywrite holders are getting that easy sample clearence money.....

-1-

Trust me young sir, they got that shyt cleared if they have entertainment lawyers. Both do and I know for a fact that you will get sued by the copywrite owner if you have a CD at a commerical retail like Best Buy or FYE (both do). Although it might slip by, and some cases it has, as a safety precaution the clear it if it is clearable. Both Anita Baker's reps and Motown have loosened up and allow people to sample them for credits and a fee. Just remember this rule, if you can reconize it, then the clients lawyers can too. Money is tight, thats why copywrite holders are getting that easy sample clearence money.....

-1-

Okay, do you really think EV cleared the STYX sample? I'm looking at the liner notes right now bro.

Phuck clearing samples plenty of industry cats don't clear ****. That's what sucks about all these sites that tell you samples used by hip hop producers. We should all Keep that **** between ourselves and not share it all over the internet.
i dont mind giving away my samples i like to show how i have flipped it but knowing that if i do one day somone who has a industry tie will say.

good example. on youtube search lyn christopher "take me with you"

LynChristopher.jpg

LL could might lose a couiple of grand now....on a lower level producer that could be destructive.

Lol at y'all thinking it's "ok" not to clear samples.

U gotta understand, that the majors DO clear samples. If they don't, they are basically saying "since you won't clear this sample for me, I'll use it anyway, and see you in court".

They know they'll get sued. And they are banking on 1 of 2 things...

1) They can settle out of court

2) They can bury the guy in so much paperwork, he won't be able to afford to sue.

But trust, the majors don't think that it's legal to not clear samples.

So why do you?

Just because you don't get caught, doesn't make it legal.

Just because you don't get caught, doesn't make it legal.

Well, that sums it up pretty nicely. People steal things all the time, that doesnt make it right. Being honest and putting in your contract your samples used is the best route for me. I usually negotiate the sample clearance terms with said artist. Most of the time, the artist or label handles that for me. If not, I have to use Lisa J. Orlando, an entertainment lawyer based in Detroit. She has given be legal advice (for a fee) on a few occasions.

-1-

all I'm saying I sold dude the beat,peace bye c-ya in some cases..he went and made a song with it that is now getting exposure so now obligations come about,thas him not me...if he's making the right moves,somebody else (i.e. record label) is paying for clearance...they want the sample used in the SONG recording cleared,the song neither I or my company had anything to do with..homeboy just needs to find a better deal cuz I'm not paying for it unless somebody is gonna pay me twice the money its gonna cost...

bottomline is the beat was hot thas why he bought it even w/o sample clearance,we agreed all obligations after sale is his and boom,holla back

all I'm saying I sold dude the beat,peace bye c-ya in some cases..he went and made a song with it that is now getting exposure so now obligations come about,thas him not me...if he's making the right moves,somebody else (i.e. record label) is paying for clearance...they want the sample used in the SONG recording cleared,the song neither I or my company had anything to do with..homeboy just needs to find a better deal cuz I'm not paying for it unless somebody is gonna pay me twice the money its gonna cost...

bottomline is the beat was hot thas why he bought it even w/o sample clearance,we agreed all obligations after sale is his and boom,holla back

No, if you know that you sold a beat (without making it clear in your contract) without clearing the sample and it blows up, you may be getting a call later.

The artist (but more than likely, the label) will get a cease and desist letter from that copywrite owner. He/she then may settle out of court and then turn around and sue you.

Now, to me going to court is not a matter of if but when. Avoiding such things may be impossible in this business but I tend to check my p's and q's.

So, yeah the artist will get the initial wave, but the beatmaker will get a call from the artist (or the artist's lawyer) about the sample clearance.

Dont put yourself in harm's way.......

-1-

GST... we're cool peoples...

How do people try to justify themselves for what would be illegal for someone else...

If he can't sell the beat without sample clearances ... you can't either. There were some VERY good points made in this thread by Cas, Deranged and Red Scare...

I've never thought of saying I'm the "ARRANGER" and this arrangement contained these samples... now that could probably be legit from a beatmakers standpoint.

... but Charlie Clown and the rest of you mf's are just trying to lean on "I can't do shyt without samples and I need money for stealing and rearranging Stevie Wonders' ish SON" ... I'm feeling saucy today so mods go easy on me because some of this shyt is common phukin' sense...

You no talent having sampling bytches....

cmonson.jpg

No, if you know that you sold a beat (without making it clear in your contract) without clearing the sample and it blows up, you may be getting a call later.

The artist (but more than likely, the label) will get a cease and desist letter from that copywrite owner. He/she then may settle out of court and then turn around and sue you.

Now, to me going to court is not a matter of if but when. Avoiding such things may be impossible in this business but I tend to check my p's and q's.

So, yeah the artist will get the initial wave, but the beatmaker will get a call from the artist (or the artist's lawyer) about the sample clearance.

Dont put yourself in harm's way.......

-1-

I understand that..I thought I said that everything is the contract..maybe I didn't

PS Mr. BigRome

You need to start sampling, cause your beats are azz. Prolly why you have over 20,000 posts

SMH

I'd rather had ASS two finger melodies than trying to claim I'm dope from taking free internet drum kits and putting them on top of ish that is dope from the jump.

Faggits.

I'll sample against any of you mf's.... you too Charlie. You get to pick the sample. Rob Bec, get to diggin' and tell me what you want me to put 20 minutes into that will shyt on anything you make,.

PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT HIP HOP IS SOMETHING INSIDE OF YOU... not what records you like or appreciate. It's about 10 Hip Hop mf's on FP. I can only throw out one name right now... Deranged

Hip Hop is not just music.

GST... we're cool peoples...

How do people try to justify themselves for what would be illegal for someone else...

If he can't sell the beat without sample clearances ... you can't either. There were some VERY good points made in this thread by Cas, Deranged and Red Scare...

I've never thought of saying I'm the "ARRANGER" and this arrangement contained these samples... now that could probably be legit from a beatmakers standpoint.

... but Charlie Clown and the rest of you mf's are just trying to lean on "I can't do shyt without samples and I need money for stealing and rearranging Stevie Wonders' ish SON" ... I'm feeling saucy today so mods go easy on me because some of this shyt is common phukin' sense...

You no talent having sampling bytches....

cmonson.jpg

it's not illegal for me to make a beat and sell my time/labor (call it a loophole I guess) and the audio in question has vocals and w/e else over it and I didn't do that and before he recorded his vocals he signed a contract with me with sample clearance stips printed clearly

you same 2 chords in every song fake composing ass faggots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back