How are people selling sampled beats

Status
Not open for further replies.
The art of sampling though.... this is nothing new were talking about decades of true HipHop art here not something that the new generation have just come up with. Were talking about legends like Pete Rock, Dilla, DJ Premier, 9th Wonder and many many more. I don't see a valid discussion. People need to research the art of it, who started it, how it works and how its handled. If you fail to do that then you deserve to be got at as you wont have a valid reply.

Nice Thread!!

I know this isn't legal advice we're giving here... but how much of a dumb idea is it for an up-and-comer to sell a song on iTunes with a sample??

Yea but if you're sampling a record without clearing the sample, the content was never yours anyways.

I could be wrong though...i don't do sampled beats...however, most of the dudes on soundclick look like they don't clear up ****.

yeah but if you want to play that game then.... you're the one who picked the beat i made. technically i'm not even selling the sample, i'm selling you my services. selling you my ability to chop the record. selling you my talents on beatmaking. you picked the sample... even if the sample is already in the beat before you heard it. you picked the beat, you picked the sample. i'm selling services. you're selling the sample... so you have to clear it.

but if its a truthful partnership, both the rapper and producer will take the hit on clearing the sample.

with that said.... **** clearing samples. this is hip hop, not business law. sue me... you'll get your money. gonna have to sue me tho. boom, sample cleared.

lol rome been shating on people.

Sampling takes no talent at all man.. plain and simple.. its for teh kids, like Fruity Loops.

Some people think because they use the most expensive program and the most expensive speakers and took a little course in production that makes them hot! but nothing beats RAW talent.

so what the legal eagles seem to be saying is that...if a record label hires me to produce a beat for them and the beat contains sample, they pay me for services rendered, i go home and count my money, then i'll have to worry about being sued for making the beat. that just doesn't make sense to me.

the reason why selling beats online has become so popular is because of the way the whole entertainment industry has changed due to a massive leap in technology. i can make a movie at home that is just as high quality as a tv movie. so now artist are able to promote themselves, shoot the video themselves and sell their own product. which comes with being able to have instant access to original music. which we as producers provide. i don't see any difference from me being hired by the record label and being hired by an independant artist and being paid for services rendered. clearing samples has always been the job of the record label. so as an indie artist you take on all the resposibility of the label.

with all that crap being said...i do both. samples and 2 finger keys. depending on the feel that i or the artist wants. it still boils down to a fee for a service. and if i specify in my contract where the samples came from and that they are paying for my services or work as a producer and that they are responsible for sample clearing before they use the beat for monetary gain for the project. i'm good!

i don't know when we started comparing beat slingin' to dope slingin'. can't believe a forum called future producers would be reduced to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back