how much do local rappers make per gig??

JLoon219

On average how much do they make?

Or if any of you guys are rappers and you do shows, how much do you make per show, gig, performance etc.?

I imagine most make nothing and just try to build their fanbase so that one day they can make money for a gig.

Depends on

The artist/group
Fan Base

event centers and clubs only care about 1 thing... the number of heads you can get in the door. Especially clubs because they make bank off drinks

I imagine most make nothing and just try to build their fanbase so that one day they can make money for a gig.
Yup. I opened up for Big Sean and got 80 bucks.

Depends on

The artist/group
Fan Base

event centers and clubs only care about 1 thing... the number of heads you can get in the door. Especially clubs because they make bank off drinks

This is also true. Some clubs will have hosts that repeatedly tell you to buy a drink too

Why would someone pay you if you're not in demand? I definatly wouldnt pay anyone money if they was not bringin me back more.

rappers get raaaaaaped becuase they typically are so thirsty for a mic and a stage that they out zero value on their performance...In miami most of em pay to get on stage, cause they re retarded. When I used to throw shows I could make 40% of the door by charging rappers to perform....Its gotten to a point down here where promoters dont promote anymore, we get the artists to do! lol...Then we just show up to the venue collect at the door and leave...The money is in selling the dream, cause on the real side of things, a rapper performing DESTROYS the vibe of a great party.

I can't necessarily agree. If you're a promoter and you're just out to get dough, you're more likely to throw a wack ass show because you let wack ass people perform.

it doesnt even have that much to do with is the artist good or bad its more of a sound and vibe thing...It might be hard to wrap your head arounds, or maybe not but most rappers sound like complete ass onstage. Almost none of them have mastered instrumentals so that leads to an uneven transition from set to set, not to mention sound guys DESPISE rap music so they do the bare minimum at these events...

ever been onstage and one minute you hear yourself and the next your mic is super low? Thats cause your druuuuuunk ass hype man is screaming his off beat adlibs way too high and the engineer has not idea whos mic is causing that distortion and he doesnt care so he slides BOTH ur faders down, you are onstage OBVIOUSLY distracted cause you cant hear yourself, the crowd notices, they begin to file one by one to the bar and BAM! The vibe has been lost.

or how about your track drops and its waaaaaay to low cause the artist before you had a polished set cd, you re all amped up to rip it after you heard the previous act sound awesome, then your music comes on sounding thin and whimpy so you start with the "uh, gyea, turn my joint up" but the engineer is turned around distracted, he doesnt adjust ur volume until the end of the first verse....thats a lifetime onstage, all your swagger is lost cause of the sound issue, the crowd notices and hits the bar....vibe lost

theres so many more ways too...nobody goes to a club to see locals perform, except other locals.

I've never had those happen to me really, but damn, you're right. With the Big Sean show, they set the levels exactly how Sean wanted it, no adjustments, and they wouldn't tell you what mics are on (if there are any on for your hype man) and occasionally left the mixing board for whatever reason. Most, if not all of the acts had a problem during their set. Add that to the fact that almost nobody came to see anyone that wasn't Big Sean in the first place...

all your swagger is lost cause of the sound issue

lmao...pay for your mixing, people...seriously...OR, have some skills

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

nobody goes to a club to see locals perform, except other locals.

right...too similar to a practical joke...

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

nobody came to see anyone that wasn't Big Sean in the first place...

right...if you're a NOBODY, be HONEST w/ yourself and EXPECT "NOBODY"...period.

right...if you're a NOBODY, be HONEST w/ yourself and EXPECT "NOBODY"...period.

And in the event you do gain some fame those people that accidentally stumbled into you will front like they've been with you since the beginning lol.

You do gotta have a fan base to perform in these shows. Your goal is to gain more fans, but if you got 99 problems going on in during a sold out show, you will have a thousand more problems booin your ass off stage, no new fans, and hopefully no loss of old fans

And in the event you do gain some fame those people that accidentally stumbled into you will front like they've been with you since the beginning lol.

RIGHT...

fake ass game...360°

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

You do gotta have a fan base to perform in these shows

clubs want the "FO SHO" money...

banking on a NO NAME to have any kind of turnout is a liability...MONEY FIRST...AND they get paid TOO just IN CASE people show up...WIN / WIN...go figure

my advice from all this being on the promotion side is do not do shows if you have no following...thats not to say dont perform at the local spot thats full of rappers watching rappers thinking its a "scene"...

If you are gonna perform infront of regular people then be sure your PERFORMANCE is entertaining...your song could be the most artistic, classic, best, well produced shit ever...but if your stage show consists of you in a pair of black shades gabbin ur nuts it aint gonna matter... you have to keep in mind that if you didnt bring people to the event everyone already assumes you suck and so its gonna take a great PERFORMANCE to change their mind.

have your set list professionally mastered

TIP THE ****ING SOUND MAN!!!!!!! i dont know why people do not think to do this...fifty bucks, a joint, and a beer go a looooooooooong way with these guys.

and if you really wanna win the war for the hearts and vibe of the room just bring 60 - 100 people, when they rush the stage to see you others will follow, when they nod their heads to ur joints others will follow...

buy a zip of reggie, roll a bunch of l's and throw em in the crowd....people love that shit

and of course you could always hire a couple strippers to rock with you...

the hardest thing to do though is admit to yourself that people arent gonna like you just for ur songs, you need gimmicky shit to catch the eyes and ears of a room fulla drunk people, all they guys ive seen be successful and move up in the ranks to the point where they began getting paid for shows gained fans through entertainment value, you need to ENTERTAIN

Back