How Many FREE Mixtapes equals Album SALES

DaBomb

Meek Mill's free mixtape probably got the most buzz of any mixtape this year. Likewise artists like French Montana, Gucci Mane, Plies and many others cut their teeth and their career is based on mixtapes but these always yield low album sales

meanwhile Nicki, Drake, Wale, J.cole, and Kendrick Lamar have all but abandoned free mixtape give aways have much higher album sales

there are few in betweeners like Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, 2chainz, etc who do a modest amount of mixtapes and typically sell better then average....

My question to you guys though is How many free mixtapes equal one 1 album sale? Does it match up at all? Is it even worth doing for established artists?

Meek Mill's free mixtape probably got the most buzz of any mixtape this year. Likewise artists like French Montana, Gucci Mane, Plies and many others cut their teeth and their career is based on mixtapes but these always yield low album sales

meanwhile Nicki, Drake, Wale, J.cole, and Kendrick Lamar have all but abandoned free mixtape give aways have much higher album sales

there are few in betweeners like Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, 2chainz, etc who do a modest amount of mixtapes and typically sell better then average....

My question to you guys though is How many free mixtapes equal one 1 album sale? Does it match up at all? Is it even worth doing for established artists?

That's like asking how many club flyers equal one paid door entry.

There's no way to tell. The purpose of a mixtape is not sales. It's purpose is promotion...to keep the artist in the public eye. The lower profile the artist, the more mix tapes they need.

It's a proportion to visibility, not to record sales.

i'd be looking more at how many people will go to your shows and buy shit off mixtapes than how many albums you sell. album sales aren't making many people money, hence 360 deals and all that.

That's like asking how many club flyers equal one paid door entry.

There's no way to tell. The purpose of a mixtape is not sales. It's purpose is promotion...to keep the artist in the public eye. The lower profile the artist, the more mix tapes they need.

It's a proportion to visibility, not to record sales.

Ok so you would say its more like an Old spice or Dos Equis commercial more then a Ford 150 commercial. More about the story and reputation of the brand then just direct sales and info on the artist..

I can agree with that what would yall say is the reason though that an artist would find mixtapes more useful then single releases, or even EP releases. And while I feel Lil Wayne's brand is sliding in public opinion I still don't understand why he would feel he needs a mixtape.

Ok so you would say its more like an Old spice or Dos Equis commercial more then a Ford 150 commercial. More about the story and reputation of the brand then just direct sales and info on the artist..

I can agree with that what would yall say is the reason though that an artist would find mixtapes more useful then single releases, or even EP releases. And while I feel Lil Wayne's brand is sliding in public opinion I still don't understand why he would feel he needs a mixtape.

A rapper like Lil Wayne needs to keep one foot in the Streets, and one foot in The Burbs.

Mixtapes satisfy his street following. Singles satisfy his Burbs following.

free mixtapes doesn't really affect album sales.. If your mixtape is ass it's not gone sell.. Hit records determine album sales more than a mixtape..

Mixtapes are business cards...

You either like the artist enough or you sit on the web promoting him... negatively...

You know his / her name... they don't give shat about yours.

Unless you're Terio....

Who is this dude?

Last edited:
Back