How long do you think DJ Mustard's run is gonna last?

ego killer

first off i am not anti-mustard. he's dope, hottest in the game right now, and when he calls himself producer of the year i agree.
also wanna mention mike lee's name, he plays a big part in a lot of mustard stuff.

anyways i'm looking at his production, and i don't see a lot of longevity in what he's doing, he's got a somewhat one-dimensional sound.

personally i give him about a year unless he changes it up.

who knows. He's been around for a few years now. I think He'll be hanging around for quite a few more years to come. As far as being the "it" producer maybe until the end of this year

I'm so anti rap music these days(I support my favorite independent artists) I just found out who he was about a month ago. His discography was impressive. I told my boy Dj Mustard's the Dr. Dre of the industry right now but of course, he hated that reference(lol).

DJ Mustard is done, it's all about DJ ERRL nowadays, everyone knows this. Google dude.

no one is really in his lane or stole his sound yet .. so he has a while longer.. and you gotta think.. he's good friends with a lot of west coast rappers... they will always jump on his beats cause they homies

no one is really in his lane or stole his sound yet .. so he has a while longer.. and you gotta think.. he's good friends with a lot of west coast rappers... they will always jump on his beats cause they homies

note that everybody thinks DJ Mustard produced this and he didnt.... so much for your theory lmao

Last edited:
note that everybody thinks DJ Mustard produced this and he didnt.... so much for your theory lmao

[video=youtube;O-zpOMYRi0w]https://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=O-zpOMYeo]

that's one song that didn't go anywhere.

anyways. He'll be around a while. He has a hit sound, but I haven't heard that translate to other styles yet. If you look at his track record, he's made some r&b and hip hop tracks that get away from his signature sound, but those have been pretty run of the mill tracks, like the one he did for bieber. I think he'll surprise people, because he has an ear for hits, though he doesn't seem to know when he misses.

Last edited:
first off i am not anti-mustard. he's dope, hottest in the game right now, and when he calls himself producer of the year i agree.
also wanna mention mike lee's name, he plays a big part in a lot of mustard stuff.

anyways i'm looking at his production, and i don't see a lot of longevity in what he's doing, he's got a somewhat one-dimensional sound.

personally i give him about a year unless he changes it up.

Remember Lil Jon?

Remember Mr. Collipark?

Remember Nitti?

that's one song that didn't go anywhere.

anyways. He'll be around a while. He has a hit sound, but I haven't heard that translate to other styles yet. If you look at his track record, he's made some r&b and hip hop tracks that get away from his signature sound, but those have been pretty run of the mill tracks, like the one he did for bieber. I think he'll surprise people, because he has an ear for hits, though he doesn't seem to know when he misses.

its was #1 on itunes for a week... lmao

So basically if I producer uses bass stabs as the lead sound, they're copying DJ Mustard's style? That's pretty ridiculous. So if producers use a lot of filters they must be copying Mike Will Made It's style. People are so closed minded.

I just saw a video about him where he talked about making one of his hit beats, and basically admitted that Mike Free came in with all the melodic parts. Mustard just added hats, kick, clap. We can all do this. Forget what they're doing, and do you.

So basically if I producer uses bass stabs as the lead sound, they're copying DJ Mustard's style? That's pretty ridiculous. So if producers use a lot of filters they must be copying Mike Will Made It's style. People are so closed minded.

ummmmm if you suddenly motivated to making beats in that fashion w/o any elevation to the artform then yea thats exactly what your doing... wasnt nobody using that chant which been around for atleast a decade now or doing 90-100bpm beats in that fashion until DJ Mustard came around so that isnt closeminded by me.... thats obvious by the guilty...... this happens in all genres until one cat comes around and says "I'm going to be a leader and grind it out with my own style until I make a break thru"....

thing is, she even pointed out that she wanted the beat to sound like that..... I might be in the minority but I respect Mustard for what he does enough not to copy his style and to build my own bandwagon...

Last edited:
I think when producers come in with a trademark sound it's important that make a strong effort to bring in another sound while they're still on. I understand you have to give the artist what they want. Still, try to push them into another lane or break in a new artist if needed.

Just saw this video from 2011. Dj Mustard is capable of doing more than what we hear on the radio. I like the Trey Song's record and all of Ty$'s work. His rap beats are one dimensional to me.

..... I might be in the minority but I respect Mustard for what he does enough not to copy his style and to build my own bandwagon...

Music is built on influences, no point in making any sound off limits. Mustard is taking the bay sound anyways. E40 and 2 short had beats like his since the 80s, lol. Before Mustard was born.

From '88

Last edited:
Music is built on influences, no point in making any sound off limits. Mustard is taking the bay sound anyways. E40 and 2 short had beats like his since the 80s, lol. Before Mustard was born.

From '88

Im well aware of that... Im 32 years old lol yeah Imma old fart to most of you cats on here.... give or take he brought that sound to a bigger audience... now its time for someone else to do such a move......

this is a repost but I think we all need this old fart speech

my closing statement on this thread and I hope you guys take this the best way possible.... if your on here claiming that a producer is trash but he has nothing but a hits and your a producer that swears up and down that your better than "X" or "Y" producer but your discography doesnt compare..... its time for you not to post on here anymore because clearly your not as good as you think.... that includes me though I dont have any problem with the producers that some of you guys are hating on..... look in the mirror and start making the change in your music!! get to work... peace

I just saw a video about him where he talked about making one of his hit beats, and basically admitted that Mike Free came in with all the melodic parts. Mustard just added hats, kick, clap. We can all do this. Forget what they're doing, and do you.

That is awesome. DJ Mustard gave life to Mike Free's work.

Back