IS Hip Hop Taking A DIVE!??Like 90's Rock music did!

I stop readin after... bout page 3...

Some of yall was talkin bullsh_t...
Its not about ppl being 90's purest or about a race card when it comes to the grey dots n all that sh_t...
Its about whether u respect the culture or not... not if u think the beats are fly n if u beleive i wanna do that cuz i can do it...
Or if you see the dollar sign in think thats a cool life to live...
-whether black or white...

The question is... do these maf_ckas really love hip-hop...
I compare hip-hop to sneaker heads...
You got people who claim they love shoes...
Buy nothing but the newest ones... Talk to there friends about release dates.
Rock the new pair every chance they get (just to stunt)...
And go to the next one...

Then you have the ppl that look forwward to gettin the pair from back n the day that excites them the most...
Wont crack them but once n a blue moon..
Understand why the sneaker has the nickname it carries...
Knows the release date of older kicks, n each color they came n that year...

You see the pattern there...
Do they have tru love or is it something else...
I think i remember someone saying rapping isnt to hard...-thats the problem.. if u study the craft it actually is....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hip-Hop will always re-invent itself yes the rich industry execs capitalized on it made many artist
sell out on it but every time I turn on a radio or I hear a car rolling down the block what do I hear
rap music TRAP music don't get me wrong I like Trap music but Hip-Hop music is not going
anywhere. I don't listen to the radio and for some strange reason when I do listen to the music that
I do hear on the radio it's repetitive remember when break beats were a component of Hip-Hop
now Hip-Hop is a component of what is being created these days btw I was there since the
inception of Hip-Hop I stood right next to moppy Super Ryhms Jimmy Spicer I stood right next to
Dj Flash,Dj Aj, I went to school with Sha Rock,Funky Four Plus 1 More,Crash Crew,Bambattahz
Zulu Nation,Larry Love.

I could go on and on people are sleeping right now so I'm not going to say too much but you guys
are in for some surprises as far as Hip-Hop is concerned because people are fed up with what's
become of it and I liked what "Lord Jamar" had to share on it he makes some valid points from
my personal perspective and who ever said "Do You" I believe in that. Why do we have to do what
the industry dictates we do musically in order to get in if "WE" go against this grain then I think
we can make some headway as Hip-Hop Producers and Music Producers in general.

I'm always thinking of ways to re-invent myself musically I have had to make so many transitions
due to the changes in the industry in order to stay relevant definitely have to think outside of the
box when it comes to this music especially Hip-Hop in terms of a creativity level.
I hear what you are saying but I think you missed what I am saying. This is not just a hip hop thing. This is a culture thing. Music is constantly changing and evolving as a whole. Every genre of music does this not just rap. As far as what more people are listening to, I think that really just depends on where you are at. I am pretty sure you are in New York from what you are describing. I am from the Seattle area. I live about half an hour south of Seattle and where I live you hear some trap in cars but not much. You hear a lot of rock, country, top 40 and 2pac. People still play All Eyes On Me from their car loud as hell as if it came out last week. And a lot of the people doing this are 19-20 year old kids. When I drive up to Seattle I hear a lot less rap and a lot more electronic music. That said music changes with the times but music is also regional. A few years ago I went down to New Orleans to visit my dad and everyone down there was heavy into trap and heavy into Boosie especially. They looked at me crazy when I said I don't know Boosie where I am from we aren't into that. I am pretty sure nobody there is talking about him now but it goes to show that music changes depending on where you are from and the culture that surrounds you. That's what I was getting at.

Royals is about a trend which promotes a flashy expensive lifestyle that is constantly promoted in the media in general...buy this, buy that, the more you have, the fancier the label blah blah blah ad infinitum. It is the constant bombardment of these images she is talking about in that song and how it is not even real life for 90% or better of those targeted by that music/movies/tv and advertisements as a whole. It is about trying to live your life according to other peoples best days when it is nothing but a small snapshot, an incomplete picture and people are trying to live that way as an everyday lifestyle.

Which is exactly what the current stream of rap artists are promoting.
Which still comes back to being poor.

I don't think its taking a dive but its definitely going in a different direction that many hip hop purist may not agree with

The only problem I have with whites in hip hop isn't even the actual artist's fault. And that's because of them being able to relate to the majority of the population, they get recognized on a higher scale. Eminem was a real MC, one of the best to ever do it, but if not for the pigment of his skin, he'd be in the ranks with Canibus and Redman. It annoys me that 2Pac broke REAL boundaries and held records that were broken because 60% of the people who own an Eminem album own no other rap music. I don't feel Macklemore even deserves to be called hip hop, but have to hear how great of a hip hop artist he is because 100% of his fans...I'll let you finish that one.

Dudes like MGK, Asher Roth, Mac Miller, Action Bronson, and Riff Raff don't bother me. Riff Raff sux btw, but they're all so hip hop that their core fan base is gonna be hip hop regardless of color of them or the fan. Em is like that now, but back when he was famous for dissing N'Sync and Britney, he had an unfair advantage. People bought his album to play behind N'Sync and Britney. Guys have said he's the best rapper without knowing 1 Jay-Z or B.I.G. song.

It sounds petty, in no way am I saying anyone isn't welcome in hip hop. In no way am I blaming the artists, I just feel alot of hip hop is left in the shadows and not given the proper accolade because it's wasted on guys who aren't making REAL HIP HOP for REAL HIP HOP CONSUMERS. It's like calling Miley Cyrus RnB and letting her take away titles from people who had to work hard to get where they were because of her Hannah Montana following.

It's hard for majority of the population to understand how it feels to be the minority. As silly as it sounds, Pac had to work alot harder for his spot next to that N'Sync CD in Chelsie's room than Em did. Kendrick had to work alot harder for that Grammy nomination than Macklemore did. Master P was INDEPENDENT, yet people act like Macklemore was the same when rich parents with label budget money came to the rescue.

I don't wanna take anything from anyone though...but that's my point. Alot get's taken from guys who work hard.

It's its in a better state than it was during the crunk era but its still in the toilet mainstream. But there is a lot of quality, especially with so many artist going independent.

The only problem I have with whites in hip hop isn't even the actual artist's fault. And that's because of them being able to relate to the majority of the population, they get recognized on a higher scale. Eminem was a real MC, one of the best to ever do it, but if not for the pigment of his skin, he'd be in the ranks with Canibus and Redman. It annoys me that 2Pac broke REAL boundaries and held records that were broken because 60% of the people who own an Eminem album own no other rap music. I don't feel Macklemore even deserves to be called hip hop, but have to hear how great of a hip hop artist he is because 100% of his fans...I'll let you finish that one.

Dudes like MGK, Asher Roth, Mac Miller, Action Bronson, and Riff Raff don't bother me. Riff Raff sux btw, but they're all so hip hop that their core fan base is gonna be hip hop regardless of color of them or the fan. Em is like that now, but back when he was famous for dissing N'Sync and Britney, he had an unfair advantage. People bought his album to play behind N'Sync and Britney. Guys have said he's the best rapper without knowing 1 Jay-Z or B.I.G. song.

It sounds petty, in no way am I saying anyone isn't welcome in hip hop. In no way am I blaming the artists, I just feel alot of hip hop is left in the shadows and not given the proper accolade because it's wasted on guys who aren't making REAL HIP HOP for REAL HIP HOP CONSUMERS. It's like calling Miley Cyrus RnB and letting her take away titles from people who had to work hard to get where they were because of her Hannah Montana following.

It's hard for majority of the population to understand how it feels to be the minority. As silly as it sounds, Pac had to work alot harder for his spot next to that N'Sync CD in Chelsie's room than Em did. Kendrick had to work alot harder for that Grammy nomination than Macklemore did. Master P was INDEPENDENT, yet people act like Macklemore was the same when rich parents with label budget money came to the rescue.

I don't wanna take anything from anyone though...but that's my point. Alot get's taken from guys who work hard.

I can't really agree about macklemore. I really don't see how he isn't hip hop. He just doesn't fall into the norm that other artists fall into.

I agree with you 100%

How is that disregard for the culture? It's living the culture. They're just being them. Nothing more hip hop than that. Now if you ask me do I think Riff Raff is terrible? Yes I do. Action Bronson is cool though.

Truthfully though on a whole I really don't think hip hop is really being over ran. It's just changing it's becoming more inclusive. It's worldwide now. We just had a South Korean Rapper score a number 1 hit last year. Niggas ain't got to prove streetness to rap now. We got people who go to college and rap part time while on the way to trying to start their own business. It's universal. Come join the universe
I'd argue that, that's always been the case it's just those rappers from other countries and rappers
who were more backpack oriented weren't highlighted due to the major label stranglehold back then.
These days they're crumbling under their own weight and Hip Hop is still doing what Hip Hop does
for better or for worse. So we get to see the diversity within Hip Hop ( that shouldn't have
been stamped out from the 90's until the mid to late 2000's)

Last edited:
Back