Hip Hop Producers like Mustard and EDM Producers like Zedd...

B

BIGMOZ

I laughed when I watched that Mustard interview about the Sanctified track. I love his beats, even though they're bullshit party beats. But this guy is doing 10-15 tracks a day. I always wondered how the hell they do so many tracks in a day.

Listen to interviews with EDM producers like Zedd, Avicci, Wolfgang Gartner and they'll tell you how it takes weeks to finish a single track (and this is not considered fully mixing and mastering). The automation alone on single EDM tracks probably takes longer than what it takes Mustard to finish a beat.

I have so much more respect for songwriters/producers in EDM than hiphop.

When an EDM producer finishes a beat/song its usually the finished product. Thats whats gonna play in the club. A hip hop producer doesn't need to do that. In hip hop the beat and the song are different. They're basically laying down skeleton beats and then finish producing it when they get with the artist. You're not gonna spend a week arranging mixing and mastering a beat when no one might use it. That lets you bang out a lot of beats. Also when people talk about doing 5-10 beats a day, that includes throwaways.

some producers probably don't even know the difference between saw or sine oscillators and all they do rely on presets without the knowledge of sound designing. And yeah most hip hop producers just make skeleton beats, some don't know how to a carry a beat itself and make it to a track.

Last edited:
I've always called bullshit on "It took me [add ridiculous amount of time here] to complete a beat/or song". I can understand if you are collaborating with other musicians, and are beholden to their schedule, or if you are re-writing lyrics. But to take weeks, months, even years to complete a song is ridiculous. To each his own.

Don't know why you'd respect one guy over the other. The formats call for different techniques. DJ Mustard is the new lil jon. Simple beats with mass appeal. When you got the touch, you can put hit beats together in 30 mins. Mannie Fresh, Dre, Timbo all have had simple hits. It's actually more impressive that Mustard can make a hit with drums, bass and a bell, while Avicii needs to learn synthesis, complex arrangement, etc to accomplish the same end result.

I feel you man, I was laughing out loud while watching that video! You can't knock the guy though, he would be raking in the money. Mustard can do 10-15 beats a day because his beats are extremely simple and he uses the same drum noises in every track and he has no other job so he is in the studio all day making beats. As rekordhead says, that includes throwaways, so 10 of those beats might never see the light of day.
EDM producers taking weeks to finish a beat? I can't buy that unless that includes, finding a singer to get on it and then counting the time it takes for the singer to write the lyrics and then record them.

With EDM you are creating a song, the same with trip hop so it takes more time and work to gather samples, drums etc. then arrange it all and then master.

With beats, yeah maybe a sample or two but for the most part real straightforward and mastering tends to happen once the vocals are laid.

Not saying one is any better than the other it is just a different process for a different end product, you wanna bake a cake or do you want to make cookies I mean it is all baking so a cake should take the same amount of time...right?

Last edited:
some producers probably don't even know the difference between saw or sine oscillators and all they do rely on presets without the knowledge of sound designing. And yeah most hip hop producers just make skeleton beats, some don't know how to a carry a beat itself and make it to a track.

complete bullshit.... I know plenty of professional that take as much time as the EDM cats (which Ive seen Diplo at Patchwerks here in ATL) finish a beat in a day......... Mr. DJ will work on a track for weeks o get it perfect and Ive even seen them still add real instruments and what not to a beat......... not to mention most producers have great knowledge of what OSC work with whatever waveform..... gtfo here lmao

I laughed when I watched that Mustard interview about the Sanctified track. I love his beats, even though they're bullshit party beats. But this guy is doing 10-15 tracks a day. I always wondered how the hell they do so many tracks in a day.

Listen to interviews with EDM producers like Zedd, Avicci, Wolfgang Gartner and they'll tell you how it takes weeks to finish a single track (and this is not considered fully mixing and mastering). The automation alone on single EDM tracks probably takes longer than what it takes Mustard to finish a beat.

I have so much more respect for songwriters/producers in EDM than hiphop.

C'mon Moz...you know how he's doing it.

He's using the same sounds for all 15 beats. There's not much mixing involved when your beats are no more than 10 tracks each!

Most of his beats are the same tempo, the same drum pattern, just a different top line synth.

Back