A Funny Comparison in the Studio

E

echoGHOST

So, being the nerd who likes to research everything, ever, I decided to go on youtube and watch loads and loads of videos, and I have decided that some people are funner to produce for than other people.

Timbaland has produced for a lot of people, and here are two videos:
Timbaland and Jay-Z
Timbaland and Busta Rhymes

Which of those guys would you rather produce for?

Honestly, I would produce any day for Busta, just to have him be there and be like "WHOOOOOO. LETS BURN THAT TO A CD BROTHA AND LETS GO!" Is just so awesome and fun.

With someone like Busta, you want to give him something crazy because you know he'll be creative and come up with something that fits and sounds good.

With someone like Jay-Z you want to give him something that will fit him so that he can get in his zone and come up with something good.

They're two different types of artists, definitely different moods.

You definitely need that business-minded mind set when working with Jay-Z. That just tests out how you handle pressure, how well you take it, and how you react to it. Busta, that will test out your creativity and how well you can vibe with an artist.

Wow i seen that Jay vid b4(still aint seen fade to black tho) but that track for Bus is crazy he just came up wit it on tha spot and makes my whole catolog look foolish. After watching that and a pete rock vid from yesterday i realize why they legends and im still on FP(no disrespect). I rather make beats for Jay cuz he seems more laid back while Busta a lil too animated they both seem like cool dudes tho.

Well..

I don't think that those two videos actually provide enough information to actually answer the question honestly. I've seen 'em and it would appear Busta would be cooler to work with off top, but who knows what either of them dudes had going on the particular day they decided to shoot those off hand videos.

Also, Jay could have been playing the situation down and/or not thrilled about being filmed.

Last edited:
sleepy said:
With someone like Busta, you want to give him something crazy because you know he'll be creative and come up with something that fits and sounds good.

With someone like Jay-Z you want to give him something that will fit him so that he can get in his zone and come up with something good.

You definitely need that business-minded mind set when working with Jay-Z. That just tests out how you handle pressure, how well you take it, and how you react to it. Busta, that will test out your creativity and how well you can vibe with an artist.

Co-sign. Thats the truth right there, nicely put!

I have to say though, i do think the vid with Jay does him a slight injustice. I'm sure in a lot of instances he is just like Busta, its not fair to judge his creativity on one clip.

I personally would rather work with Jay just because i think he's mad talented, it would be an hounor. Plus Busta says 'Nigga' too much, its pisses me off, i'd end up slappin him and then getting the shyt beaten out of me!! :D

SP

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to work for Busta just because I'm more into his style and the crazyness he brings to the mic. Jay would be cool but I haven't been feeling his tracks in this day. Busta on the other hand would be my choice even if I didn't have those YouTube videos to get information off of just because I've been a fan of his work since he was spitting with ATCQ. Not to mention, I feel my style and work with my beats are closer to his style in rapping than Jay. But that's just my feelings.

Freezo said:
Also, Jay could have been playing the situation down and/or not thrilled about being filmed.

If you watch the movie "Fade to Black" Jay says that he was serious the whole time because it was his last (we know now that it wasn't) CD, so he had to be serious about it.

sleepy said:

Mmm hmm. Exactly.

Got an offtopic question Sleepy. Are you an engineer?

Back