As far as hip-hop goes, soulful music is superior to everything else.

Desire Inspires

Don't get me wrong. Trap music, booty shake music, gangsta music, etc. is awesome. But that neo-soul/chilled vibe is what I like to relax to. I like the pop and trap music for partying. That is the best music for hanging out and having fun.

But when I am just relaxing by myself or in a bad mood, soulful hip-hop/neo-soul is the music to cheer me up and get me to relax. The bass grooves, electric pianos, and other melodic elements come together to create magic when done correctly.

defintely agree with this although it sucks we've pretty much lost a lot of the soul in rap/hip hop in the last couple years with all the trap/pop stuff thats been on the radio.

Neo-Soul, G-Funk, Jazzy are def the best kind of Hip-Hop there is. thats why i always make soulful beats.
cause its the music that you can really feel and zone out to.
thats what got me interested in Hip-Hop. The soulful side of it.
But Hip-Hop is lacking Soul nowadays.

When J Dilla died that Soulful sound got back popular into Hip-Hop just when it was just dying out.
But producers woke up when he died and realized how beautiful a Hip-Hop beat could be.

Even Common doesn't have that positivity he had like he had 10 years ago.
His last album was loaded with a lot of negativity and talking about ******* and ****ing in the car and such.

Even Pete Rock can't make you zone out with his newer beats anymore.

Last edited:
I do not even check the radio for soulful hip-hop anymore. It probably isn't ever going to be mainstream again. Thank goodness for YouTube.

Haha, down tempo and chill stuff is going to become popular again. The groove/feeling of an instrumental is becoming more and more important. That trap stuff is on its way out. Wait and see.

Last edited:
Haha, down tempo and chill stuff is going to become popular again. The groove/feeling of an instrumental is becoming more and more important. That trap stuff is on its way out. Wait and see.

Perhaps, but I am not waiting for that to happen. I honestly do not want soulful music to be mainstream again. I want something new to be mainstream.

As long as people make soulful music and release it, I will continue listening and buying.

You can stake your life on the fact that, trends come and go, in perpetual cycles; future generations will always try to find direction and their own identity, even if it means looking backwards to move forwards, or involves the advent of a new music technology that dictates a new scene. As long as their is hardship, the release, enjoyment and escape the dance floor offers, soul, in it's various guises, will continue to survive.

Masta Ace.. it's like listening to stories when you were a kid. "Brooklyn Masala". Matter fact, I'm going to listen to Brooklyn Masala...

Perhaps, but I am not waiting for that to happen. I honestly do not want soulful music to be mainstream again. I want something new to be mainstream.

As long as people make soulful music and release it, I will continue listening and buying.

Nobody is asking you to wait?

Well it only takes a slight bit of common sense to understand that it won't entail the exact same elements as you seem to imagine..

Define what "new" is in music. Is "New" borrowing elements from other genres? There is nothing new anymore in music, just hybrids.

I envisage new soul to be more electronically motivated obviously. I don't think anyone could think otherwise.

Soul isn't a genre like you presume it to be anyway. It's a feeling, it's a groove....its more than "mainstream" fads.

Last edited:
the "soulful" stuff today is just shit battle rappers over generic chipmunk samples, cant remember the last time i heard a "soulful" beat that actaully HAD soul, maybe Pound Cake?

But when I am just relaxing by myself or in a bad mood, soulful hip-hop/neo-soul is the music to cheer me up and get me to relax. The bass grooves, electric pianos, and other melodic elements come together to create magic when done correctly.

A lot of the people in my twitter network listen to soul music...including me. Its pretty popular and the females love it

I don't think soul music can or ever will die. I listen to tracks from the 70's and you can always "feel" the drums. They have air, room and depth to them.

Nothing
can touch the drums of the 70's....nothing can touch the "rawness" of the mixes and how the mixes are not processed to death. Nothing can touch the natural rhythm of it. That's why it sounds so good when sampled in hip-hop

Party and dance music is good to, but the feeling of soul music is timeless and will endure forever.

Last edited:

I have to agree with this.

Theres alot of older genres and styles and that are still good to this day, but I dont either want none of it to be mainstream again

Its alright to be there in the background, but we wants some new styles upfront.

defintely agree with this although it sucks we've pretty much lost a lot of the soul in rap/hip hop in the last couple years with all the trap/pop stuff thats been on the radio.

yea a lot of rap/r&b has lost the natural rhythm. Listen to Timbalands old beats, scott storch old beats...artists like Aliyah. It was highly rhythmic and creative

So much stuff is robotic now..and commercialized

Yea definitely. Down tempo and soulful stuff has a high replay value too. I mean people still listen to Erykah Badu's "Baduism" album..it never gets old

70's soul music might not become mainstream again but groove/feeling should definitely be mainstream again like you said

Last edited:
Nile Rodgers has been a buzzy Bee? but the minute you start pushing music away because it's old, your denying YOURSELF true listening experience, no-one suffers, but you!, that said, as with many of today's new releases, something having age don't instantly make it great, one positive we get from the 70's is producers fully embraced the concept of orchestra with full bodied arrangements, highly skilled musicianship (many classically trained/ session musicians) fused with purity of vocal. Most mainstream 70's hits were short in length, 10 minute/ upwards tracks where mainly confined to album release rather than seen as potential chart busters.

"Soul music" has not gone away, it just got incorporated in the post 90s era (the same cats who were super funky in the 1970s, went synth in the 80s).
But just about all the "neo" cats in the US in the mid-90s (D'Angelo, Badu, Musiq, Jill Scott, etc) incorporated a lot of the those old elements.

I think the Brits over the past 10 yrs or so have really gone back to the seventies/sixties stuff really well.

Music must evolve in all eras and the best cats do that, they fuse the old with the new.

"Soul music" has not gone away, it just got incorporated in the post 90s era (the same cats who were super funky in the 1970s, went synth in the 80s).
But just about all the "neo" cats in the US in the mid-90s (D'Angelo, Badu, Musiq, Jill Scott, etc) incorporated a lot of the those old elements.

I think the Brits over the past 10 yrs or so have really gone back to the seventies/sixties stuff really well.

Music must evolve in all eras and the best cats do that, they fuse the old with the new.

exactly. The most soulful music I've heard comes out of Britain. Amy Winehouse and Adele are perfect example of this. They have the genre of pop soul down over there.

Amy and Adele are excellent examples of struggle, hardship and heartbreak music, very well written soulful vocals that convey mood and capture the essence of a certain kind of feeling that most have felt or at the very very least understand and appreciate.

Back