!!!!!!!!!!!!The Early NINETYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the 90's kids would be inventing some of the same shit totally disconnected from each other, looping records by lifting the tone arm or using string or a sticker, making pause tapes etc, and if you had a sampler even something cheap and nasty like a Casio SK1 it was only a matter of time before you sampled shit at high speed and slowed it down to cheat the memory limitations.

You were on your own working with serious limitations and you had to make adaptations, kid's still make adaptations today but a lot of the cheating involves simply finding instant answers rather than problem solving, some have gotten so lazy even a Google search is too much for them because it requires reading through more information than they need, now I am not saying kids don't still invent what I am saying is that with better technology inventions tend to be driven more by desire than out of necessity.

^^^^:rofl: yep!

casio81.jpg

6 deep freestyling on the 16 beat drum pattern preset and one finger notes on the keys all off beat, recording to a magnavox with the built in mic. Playing the drums live. I don't think this the one I had. Mine had the drum pads but it wasn't a sampler...that one look like some premium shit. Now I wish I had the sampler shit back then hell that's probably it and I just didn't know. Probably would've changed my life.

Edit: Man....we used to be up all night on the bossa nova preset. :rofl: Man those we're the days.

Last edited:
i remember having a little yamaha keyboard that my dad bought for my sister. they put little sticky notes for the note letters for the keys, but they were wrong because my sister tried to label it or something. but anyways i'd spend hours at a time thinking i was making beats, because i would just tap the rhythm button. it had little preset rhythms that i'd press and switch the tempos and shit on them with.

it had corny ass shit like waltz and some funky big band, but i'd stick to the bossa nova and crazy little grooves. i'd literally do it for long ass periods of time.

The SK1 was released in 1985 (I got mine secondhand) it could only hold one 8 bit sample with a length of 1.4 seconds, it had a tune trimmer on the bottom and I replaced it with a proper rotary knob, it was all held in place by twisting the wire and a mess of tape, but it allowed me to alter the playback speed of my loop, I was also running a 1981 analog drum machine made by Mattel ($25 secondhand) synchronization was achieved by riding the pitch control to prevent drifting, it was like some verity show plate spinning act, we had like 6 things running in sync all by hand.

I remember whenI had the talkboy, and used to record my beats using it. I made made my beats on a YAMAHA keyboard it had like 100 sounds on it and preset drum patterns.

I recorded my beats through a tape recorder!!!!!! using my keyboard ha!1

Then I got my first computer and downloaded HAMMERHEAD software whcih had those hard hitting 808 sounds!!!! So I used my keyboard plus that software plus my tape recorder to make beats!!!!! ALL i wanted to do was make good music....Didnt care about sounding liike Lex Luger, Dre, Kanye Etc........

these stories are so interesting. i wish i was part of that generation :(

Back