do y'all listen to music while making music ?

All the time. When I'm serious....I go the whole day zoning to the vibe of what I'm working on. Not just one song but a bunch of different ones to make sure that vibe fits in with the rest. Not on some biting shit either.....just the vibe.

I have a vibe playlist full of stuff. I think every producer should have that vibe list as an necessity.

I listen to music and blatantly steal....

Like the other day I heard HUSTLIN' by Rick Ross... I went into theft mode.

I said... "Organ, choir, bass, screwed hook... sparse drums... got it..."

My next beat was... - inspired by HUSTLIN'

^^^ but it didn't sound like it.

Same for me , the piano in any song gives me so much inspiration and there i go...
keep listening to music and you'll get so much ideas and inspiration

All the time. When I'm serious....I go the whole day zoning to the vibe of what I'm working on. Not just one song but a bunch of different ones to make sure that vibe fits in with the rest. Not on some biting shit either.....just the vibe.

I have a vibe playlist full of stuff. I think every producer should have that vibe list as an necessity.

can you recommend me some good tracks of your vibe playlist ?

Depends on the vibe you going for. For example.

This female vocalist sent me a song idea. Just her singing on her laptop mic (a midi piano one not no quantized kind of thing). Her singing put me in the mind of something Chaka Khan would sing....it had an old school vibe. So my thought process is to create something with an old school soulful yet uptempo vibe....make it sound new school.

I'm not going to give the complete list just an example.

Soulful uptempo

So as I listen to her piano notes, I take that idea of hers and create this atmosphere around it. Take the piano and turn it into a bassline and create this vibe. Yet give it a new feel.

Vibe for hip hop pimp shit, east coast boom bap, gutter shit, trap shit. Just creating that atmosphere around me. It helps especial when you do so many different styles.

It keeps me from trying some shit with people's money. I'm quick to come up with some off the wall shit when it comes to me messing around. Sound designing and all of that type shit. Throwing in random shit. For some one else, I go into a state of "shit this has got to be right".

I'll post something with this other singer. It was a new experience for me. It was a shock that she wanted me to do something for her because she sings to Jazz tunes (upright bass only type shit). White girl with a soulful voice. She sent me an idea on her laptop mic. I was amazed at myself.......how good just a laptop mic can sound with a wonderful voice. I'll post it but take it down in 30 minutes. Hell, it was a free collab type thing anyway. It's too much work to do that type of stuff and not get paid. At the same time I do respect the work.

She sent me just vocals. I listened, chopped them up, set the bpm so how I arranged them with be in some kind of timing. (Can't remember some inspiration songs) but I had an idea in my head as I listened to the metronome and her vocals. I removed all the noise in it from the Laptop (she recorded the vocals). Went into reason and chopped up the (never use ever) guitar strums. The rest is history. She listened and loved it. I told her this is just a skeleton....it needs the real deal....guitar player, drummer, more lyrics written, ect. But I had some alternative rock music on my computer that I listen to after it was done. Felt satisfied with it as my first time doing all of that got damn chopping just to make something happen. lol!

30 minutes it comes down.

Last edited:
Yep, your not suppose to listen to the same music you make before you make a beat. I'll listen to some Arabian music or some Chinese music before I make a beat. Being mainly a sample based producer, I listen to alot of other genre's anyway.

I'm w/ Rome, I start off with my own idea, and then I go, "hmmm this sounds kinda like XXXXX" so I go listen to that XXXXX track and any other track I can think of that sounds similar to listen to all the elements they included and go "hmmm element yyyyy sounds dope, I might include that in my beat"

Like with the beat I'm currently working on, so I thought "hmmm those little sine blips goin on in the background of Jeezy's Supafreak beat and others would sound dope in my beat." So I listen to get an idea of how that sound is done and I make my own version.

Or I'll just add an element from a completely different kind of beat into my own just to see if it sounds cool lol

Only for referencing when mixing/mastering.

Usually I get chord progressions/groove from a rap song to start off then add my own sounds, groove and change it all up so it's not biting. Completely different song by the end of it. Even a different genre sometimes.

its funny i read all the posts and everybody seems to be wired in so many different ways yet so alike!!:))) sometimes an idea pops up and i repeat it in my head over and over so i wont lose it...but i end up forgeting it anyway :))) and i end up doing something different...but usually inspiration comes after listening to music, doesnt really matter what kind ...as long as its new to my ears and it sounds good

I do not have much experience of music making , but my brother is a music maker ,i usually see him and help him in music making , he makes raps,hip hop music , and i carefully listen the music during its creation, its nice feel ,i think it gives a good feel to the every music lover.

Back