DJ Mustard & The Return of the Hip Hop Super Producer

^^^^got to be kidding me...........Fancy would've been a hit with just hand claps. I agree that a beat could've ruined it. Good thing it was kept "simple".

Simplicity is the key....................it's hard to write to all of that wanna be super producer shit that producers be on now a days. lol! And they wonder why DJ Mustard doing his thang. I knew he was next just from listening to Jeezy's mixtape. Like all of that other shit was dope but didn't matter after Mustard. lol!

Which brings up the importance of a beat. The reason rap music had sucked for a while and participants were using digital downloads as an excuse is because "they cared more about their BEAT than the product. How the hell somebody suppose to write to some of that shit back then? Thank goodness Mustard set things back into the artist hands. Producers were and still are losing it. lol! They don't want to get over the facts........which are nobody cares about beats. Producer's days are over......yall tried to outshine the most important thing on the GOT DAMN product. lol! Like you ready to walk on the MFing stage and except the award and shit. And that's the mind set right there. Producers didn't have no love for product, only love for self and others like them. And with that frame of mind...YALL ARE OUT OF HERE! So get over it. Those days are over when beats would carry these weeak trend following ass rappers. lol! If you can't make a song that have 60 year old women singing it (LIKE FANCY) then GTFOH...last thing the song needed was a producer saying...."you know what.......we need some snare rolls and filters and some bass wobbles...this is not a hit yet." As long as we can do away with "super producer minds" we are better off. Being stuck in the mind set of 5 -10 years ago is bad for your health yall. You were lied too...you lied to yourselves...you searched and illegally downloaded all of those drums you felt you needed..and the outcome was a period of excuses being made for why records didn't sell....because it was "the producers job" which was to make a hot beat....RIGHT? Make a hot beat.....

Majority of the time it's about "undoing" the thought process you had instead of enhancing what was there........

Last edited:
your judgement is clouded by being a hater smh, you're speaking in hypotheticals when i brought you absoluteswhat does "he can get stuck as a DJ" even mean? Lil Jon was going around doing DJ sets for years with no recent hits until just now with Turn Down for What. You gain super producer status from thekind of things I mentioned. DJing and being signed to Roc Nation as an artist, releasing his albums, jumping on the songs with the chants Fatman Scoop style ... that's all cultivating his brand. As for doing whole albums ... what the hell do you think YG's album is? There's a couple outside producers but he's the main guy, and he just put out his own album produced entirely by himself, as well as the Ketchup mixtape before. He can always get music with YG & Ty Dolla$ign no matter what because that's his people. Ty has the it factor himself, so even when Mustard's light starts to fade, he can get Ty to write or co-produce like they did with Jennifer Lopez and ccountless others. Anybody can "put out" an album, but not everybody has the ability to get on the charts off the beat tag alone. This thread is 19 pages. Dudes been on here hating for 19 pages and by the time you get to 19, he's got an album out. He's got a gang of unused joints sitting in Kanye's studio that could easily end up on something in the future. Having his own label, and the track record of doing numbers with YG who's basically his artist. He's already surpassed producing a hit song to getting people famous off of his name to producing an artist, and there's room to grow. Dudes said the same shit about Lil Jon's beats when he came out and now he's in this conversation as the barometer for a "real" producer. I don't get the point of bringing up DJ Khaled & Mike Will as if people aren't going to them for the brand recognition. DJ Khaled is killing the game off the executive production more than he did with his own beats because he knows how to put epic records together. He was never in the coversation based off of beats and I think he said he's on his 8th album. That breathing room shit is selective amnesia. First of all, when Lex Luger came out people were still calling him a Shawty Redd clone. The whole "trap" genre of production that develped was getting called biters until the next one came out and then the last person gets respect lmao. Lex had it on lock for a minute but he never really had the chart success that Mustard does. But like I said, there was never any breathing room. Timbaland spent his whole career rapping about beat biters, c'mon son. The Neptunes came out and you had J Kwon "Hood Hop" emulating Grindin, you had Ryan Leslie who is much more respected now than when he was considered a biter, you had Cool & Dre complete with Dre doing the falsetto hooks. And people talked about The Neptunes having bare bones music. But they mastered complex simplicity like Lil Jon & Mustard. Its easy in hindsight to listen to 10 songs from a producer you wish you were, and then say 'oh that's easy', but if it was that easy you would have came up with it. Which is why you can't say the producers of Fancy, who no one refers to by name (I wonder why), are responsible for Fancy. Fancy is a hit moreso than Iggy's other work because of the Gwen Stefani "Hollaback Girl" cheerleader vibe of the hook from Charli XCX. Also if you read the link I posted, she got a huge headstard from that radio program blasting her song on every format to get her spins up early. And even when you talk about the beat having the hot sound of the moment ... who brought you that sound? Mustard on that beat ho. If he was so terrible, why did the producers have to copy his sound to get Iggy a hit? Why didn't it work with any of their other productions? Iggy said those are her main producers and they've been working together for a long time and she's just now doing the numbers. TI talked about having to revive her buzz. They sent her over to the UK to do the EDM trap project because the US wasn't gravitating to her. This was with those same producers. And who has gone to them since then? Who listend to Fancy and said I need to go see them cats? I'm sure Mustard got a bunch of placements off of that song. He definitely had radio DJs confused about it during interviewsI got respect for Mustard. He's doing what I wanna be doing and when you listen to his interviews ... him & Young Chop in particular are so nonchalant about it, that it makes you feel like you must be doing too much thinking ... like it shouldn't be this difficult. He's doing it big and I'm observing, which is why I know all these details

^^^^got to be kidding me...........Fancy would've been a hit with just hand claps. I agree that a beat could've ruined it. Good thing it was kept "simple".

Simplicity is the key....................it's hard to write to all of that wanna be super producer shit that producers be on now a days. lol! And they wonder why DJ Mustard doing his thang. I knew he was next just from listening to Jeezy's mixtape. Like all of that other shit was dope but didn't matter after Mustard. lol!

Which brings up the importance of a beat. The reason rap music had sucked for a while and participants were using digital downloads as an excuse is because "they cared more about their BEAT than the product. How the hell somebody suppose to write to some of that shit back then? Thank goodness Mustard set things back into the artist hands. Producers were and still are losing it. lol! They don't want to get over the facts........which are nobody cares about beats. Producer's days are over......yall tried to outshine the most important thing on the GOT DAMN product. lol! Like you ready to walk on the MFing stage and except the award and shit. And that's the mind set right there. Producers didn't have no love for product, only love for self and others like them. And with that frame of mind...YALL ARE OUT OF HERE! So get over it. Those days are over when beats would carry these weeak trend following ass rappers. lol! If you can't make a song that have 60 year old women singing it (LIKE FANCY) then GTFOH...last thing the song needed was a producer saying...."you know what.......we need some snare rolls and filters and some bass wobbles...this is not a hit yet." As long as we can do away with "super producer minds" we are better off. Being stuck in the mind set of 5 -10 years ago is bad for your health yall. You were lied too...you lied to yourselves...you searched and illegally downloaded all of those drums you felt you needed..and the outcome was a period of excuses being made for why records didn't sell....because it was "the producers job" which was to make a hot beat....RIGHT? Make a hot beat.....

Majority of the time it's about "undoing" the thought process you had instead of enhancing what was there........

you have no clue about production, why are you on this site?

As for doing whole albums ... what the hell do you think YG's album is?

lmao............the proof I've been talking about my dude. You talking like YG's album did "super producer DJ Mustard" numbers or something......stick with the singles he got.........like Fancy......um...I mean.....um......well hell......WELL....he has Chris Brown's coat tale.........guess he makes Chris Brown, RIGHT?

Seems like Mustard need to leave these hood ass artist alone and find him some overseas white girls with accents..............THEN......THEN we can get closer to calling him super producer. They be all on the Rap/R&B charts............

SO FOH....ole SFZsssss(Selvester voice) face ass. :cheers:

Dude got the nerve to quote me........as if what I said wasn't some real shit. smh.

Last edited:
A lot of you guys are either kids or live in a bubble of complete ignorance.

Scarface put it best and point blank simple if you really think Mustard is runnin idish and making "hits" or trap music is an "art", then see not only how far you get in your music career, but how far you get in life as a whole. It's sad, pathetic and you're the sheltered mind that rap radio is searching for. And don't you ever come sideways out of your mouth talkin about hip hop or "You have no excuse to not be as good as Mozart since playing piano is so easy to learn now with Youtube and computers nowadays".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bV7WunMqKU

Do your research on Payola or Pay-for-Play

Anything else you kids are talkin about in regards to being "Super" or making hits is ignorant we can smell it from a mile away. Listen to the video from PEOPLE WHO ARE WHERE WE WANT TO BE (some of us).

Jigga, Russel Simmons, Chuck D, Common, Diddy are all saying THE SAME EXACT THINGS I'M SAYING - so please, disagree with us and I have links for days to shut your whole self esteem down for the rest of the summer.

Last edited:
^^^In all fairness, Russel Simmons, Chuck D, Common, Diddy, nor Scarface does very well selling records these days. Past accomplishments mean nothing. That's like the 80s dope dealer sitting in the pen talking about cars he used to drive, hoes he used to f**K, and money he used to have. If anything, I'd wanna figure out Jigga's formula, his music still works. I can't tell you why, people just buy into his brand these days. not like his album stays in heavy rotation around here. There are other hustles all these guys can financially gain from, but to say their music is still "outselling" trap and above the genre in current sales conditions isn't very accurate.

Diddy - Last music he was attached to that did ok....French Montana - "Ain't Worried Bout Nothing" and MGK - "Wild Boy"(Trap Beats), always in Rick Ross' corner(Trap Artist)

Jay had trap beats on Holy Grail(bad attempts at them, but you knew what they were going for), and both Beyonce and Rihanna(his breadwinners)had trap laced albums recently released.

Common just released an album. No one cared.

Again, I'm not debating Mustard being a 'superproducer", I don't believe he is, but well on his way to being one. If he actually makes it 10 summers with the momentum he has now, we won't be able to deny him being one. And Mustard doesn't make "Trap" 2 different sounds completely.

Just funny to me that I'm musically gifted enough to have felt the same way people talk about Mustard on this site feel about the Nepz and Storch. They're both the same 1 trick ponies, just slightly more advanced with the chords.

Last edited:
Just funny to me that I'm musically gifted enough to have felt the same way people talk about Mustard on this site feel about the Nepz and Storch. They're both the same 1 trick ponies, just slightly more advanced with the chords.

I have no idea why you keep saying this. If you keep making different sounding shit that people genuinely like, you're not a one trick pony. Here you go, 2 Scott Storch songs released around the same time

^^^"The What Ifs" was produced with a live band....nuff said. Give Mustard a live band, anyone for that matter.....

The XTina Song Has elements similar to "Bladow!" by Busta and other stuff he did around that time.

But that's not the "1 Trick" that made him famous and RICH. It was when hew got behind a Motif, nothing more, and made a buncha songs around 70bpm with orchestra sounds and pitch bends using a mod wheel. Candy Shop, Gimme That, Lean Back, Players Only, quit trying to play dumb like his 1 trick isn't what he's known for. Ain't nobody talkin about his Jaguar Wright credits.

Dr. Dre, always used the same drum pattern, simple melody with alot of wierd sounds over the top slowly introducing themselves by the chorus, loved strummed piano chords. Always had well mixed stuff so everything stood out when introduced.

BM Cox always used intricate piano melodies with a groovy underlying bass that glued everything together well.

Most producers have a sound that's signature. It's not a bad thing, the point i'm making is, beyond opinion Mustards no different than these guys. But as easily as you posted Jaguar Wright...I could post this....

It's all just music anyone can make...depending on the eye of the beholder. Guys are showing their range by pretending Mustard doesn't just have a signature sound like everyone else. Basic, yes, so was Dre's(that's why storch could make Dre stuff without Dre), so was Storch's. I won't say BM Cox style was that basic because that's actually beyond my range. Storch, not so much. The next guy who can play piano as well will say the same thing about BM I just said about all these guys. We can go all thew way to Rick James, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, and back. Depending on your range, you can figure the formula and reproduce it well. That takes away the idea they're doing something magical and replaces it with the simple fact that "all they're doing is".

Easier for us all to see with Mustard, but here's the catch. Music fans who have never touched a keyboard are just hearing something they like. They can't make any of this, so he's just as "advanced" as everyone else to them...yet they still know what a "Storch", "Timbaland", "Neptunes" or "Dre" beat sounds like nomatter how much we try to pretend only Mustard is so transparent.

Last edited:
It's all just music anyone can make...depending on the eye of the beholder. Guys are showing their range by pretending Mustard doesn't just have a signature sound like everyone else. Basic, yes, so was Dre's(that's why storch could make Dre stuff without Dre), so was Storch's. I won't say BM Cox style was that basic because that's actually beyond my range. Storch, not so much. The next guy who can play piano as well will say the same thing about BM I just said about all these guys. We can go all thew way to Rick James, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, and back. Depending on your range, you can figure the formula and reproduce it well. That takes away the idea they're doing something magical and replaces it with the simple fact that "all they're doing is".

Easier for us all to see with Mustard, but here's the catch. Music fans who have never touched a keyboard are just hearing something they like. They can't make any of this, so he's just as "advanced" as everyone else to them...yet they still know what a "Storch", "Timbaland", "Neptunes" or "Dre" beat sounds like nomatter how much we try to pretend only Mustard is so transparent.

It's not about that at all. It's about exploring all these different genres, surprising you core fans while giving all the other people something to listen too. Both Storch and especially Neptunes done it a bunch of times. I have yet to see Mustard do it. Nothing wrong with being a 1 trick pony, or making ratchet RnB/hip-hop for the rest of your life, but saying Storch and Neptunes are 1 trick ponies is just wrong...

same year

Simple songs are wack from a sophisticated standpoint but they work on an unrefined standpoint. Remember, music for the masses sells better than music for music lovers.

If high-level music really mattered, solo artists wouldn't exist. We would just see a 60-piece orchestra in formal wear playing real instruments with perfect technique and precision but no rhythm or soul. I thank the heavens for the DJ Mustards of the world.

It's not about that at all. It's about exploring all these different genres, surprising you core fans while giving all the other people something to listen too. Both Storch and especially Neptunes done it a bunch of times. I have yet to see Mustard do it. Nothing wrong with being a 1 trick pony, or making ratchet RnB/hip-hop for the rest of your life, but saying Storch and Neptunes are 1 trick ponies is just wrong...

same year

Apparently your ears don't work like mine. Where you hear a vast range of sounds, I'm hearing the monotony/consistancy(depending on ones opinion) that is the Neptunes. The same monotony/consistancy I hear in Dre, BM Cox, Timbo, Chopin, One Republic, Prince, Max Martin, James Brown, Maroon 5, Babyface, Timbaland, Dilla, Rza, 4th Disciple, Harry Fraud, Tricky Stewart, JR Rotem, Kardiak, 40, Vivaldi, Storch, Primo, DJ Mustard, hell, the monotony/consistancy of MUSIC. You actin like all their N.E.R.D. stuff doesn't sound similar, you just can't get rappers on that, so you replace the live drums and all the sudden you got "Frontin", "Beautiful", ect. take out the guitar leave the synth/sampled drums, and you got "Drop It Like It's Hot", "Grindin", ect. Sorry if you don't have the ears to hear that.

I'm not even saying these cats are wack, just that their sound is no less predictable than Mustards. "Or nah" doesn't have his signature clap rolls and "hey' chants to his predictable tempo, but it still has elements that make you identify it as a mustard song...JUST LIKE ANYTHING YOU CAN POST FROM THE NEPZ IS SMOTHERED IN THEIR PREDICTABILITY IF YOU HAVE THE EAR TO HEAR IT. If you don't, quit debating with me and go work on your craft, you'll need to understand what I'm saying to find a niche of your own.

One set of guys i remember with a sound that I could never bottle and sell...that was Cool n Dre. Not my favorite producers by far, don't like alot of their stuff, but from time to time the hit with something that got me hyped. But I can't tell you what's common/predictable from beats of theirs.

Last edited:
Apparently your ears don't work like mine. Where you hear a vast range of sounds, I'm hearing the monotony/consistancy(depending on ones opinion) that is the Neptunes. The same monotony/consistancy I hear in Dre, BM Cox, Timbo, Chopin, One Republic, Prince, Max Martin, James Brown, Maroon 5, Babyface, Timbaland, Dilla, Rza, 4th Disciple, Harry Fraud, Tricky Stewart, JR Rotem, Kardiak, 40, Vivaldi, Storch, Primo, DJ Mustard, hell, the monotony/consistancy of MUSIC. You actin like all their N.E.R.D. stuff doesn't sound similar, you just can't get rappers on that, so you replace the live drums and all the sudden you got "Frontin", "Beautiful", ect. take out the guitar leave the synth/sampled drums, and you got "Drop It Like It's Hot", "Grindin", ect. Sorry if you don't have the ears to hear that.

I'm not even saying these cats are wack, just that their sound is no less predictable than Mustards. "Or nah" doesn't have his signature clap rolls and "hey' chants to his predictable tempo, but it still has elements that make you identify it as a mustard song...JUST LIKE ANYTHING YOU CAN POST FROM THE NEPZ IS SMOTHERED IN THEIR PREDICTABILITY IF YOU HAVE THE EAR TO HEAR IT. If you don't, quit debating with me and go work on your craft, you'll need to understand what I'm saying to find a niche of your own.

One set of guys i remember with a sound that I could never bottle and sell...that was Cool n Dre. Not my favorite producers by far, don't like alot of their stuff, but from time to time the hit with something that got me hyped. But I can't tell you what's common/predictable from beats of theirs.

Please tell me you really didn't try to compare Mustard to Chopin, Vivaldi, James Brown and Dilla...

Maybe I'm missing your point, but I think there is a HUGE difference between an artist having a signature style/sound/personality developed from skill, hard work and mastering their craft and someone being extremely limited in their musical ability, so they make minimalist Pre-K beats that are easy to duplicate by other KJ "producers" using a piano roll and a couple of pirated synths.

Last edited:

I agree with what you said about the consistency of producers like tim, neptunes etc
as for cool n dre, I love their stuff...I think the consistency in the early 2000's was their drums and their synths (christina milian's album, remy ma, rick ross etc) I listened to some of their more recent stuff n they seem to have switched it up a little.

Please tell me you really didn't try to compare Mustard to Chopin, Vivaldi, James Brown and Dilla...

Maybe I'm missing your point, but I think there is a HUGE difference between an artist having a signature style/sound/personality developed from skill, hard work and mastering their craft and someone being extremely limited in their musical ability, so they make minimalist Pre-K beats that are easy to duplicate by other KJ "producers" using a piano roll and a couple of pirated synths.

Mustard uses Reason. No "pirated" anything works in Reason and i'd hope he's not wasting time trying to use it's piano roll for the melodies he's making.

And I've compared no one beyond the fact they're all musicians with recognizable characteristics consistent in songs they do.

People in here are too lost in opinion to recognize facts. i'm done, carry on.

George Martin, Phil Spector, and the list goes on of the old dudes that were "Producers". These guys weren't in there making the music they were producing a sound. You know like the "Motown Sound" or the "The Wall of Sound".

DJ Mustard got lucky. Everyone who gets to that level got lucky. You have to be in the right place at the right time to get to that point. We all know people who are super talented but haven't got a lucky break.

Beat makers make beats. Producers get people together and tell them what they want.

Producer: "It needs more air in the vocals and clarity in the low end."
Engineer: "I can do that." Begins to use effects and faders to achieve what was asked.

Producer:" I need an instrumental with an eerie synth sound and bassy kick drums. I want something like that new Katy Perry record"
Beat maker: " I got something like that and if not I can make it." Begins to play beats they have to see if they need to make something from scratch.

Mustard uses Reason. No "pirated" anything works in Reason and i'd hope he's not wasting time trying to use it's piano roll for the melodies he's making.

And I've compared no one beyond the fact they're all musicians with recognizable characteristics consistent in songs they do.

People in here are too lost in opinion to recognize facts. i'm done, carry on.

"...minimalist Pre-K beats that are easy to duplicate by other KJ "producers" using a piano roll and a couple of pirated synths."

Had nothing to do with what Mustard himself uses...and yes - I do completely agree that most, if not all, producers have a signature sound that ends up being their personality/calling card.

Unfortunately, that ends up being the undoing of many producers...I remember Rich Harrison being called the "next best thing" after producing the Amerie album and some Mary J. Blige that lead to some Beyonce, Usher, J.Lo and Christina Aguilera tracks. But, son couldn't switch up his style beyond the hectic jazz drum loops.

Last edited:
well both Spector and Martin were in their making music. Besides producing Martin plays some parts, like the harpsichord solo, and obviously arranged and was vital to the Beatles success. Spector wrote many of the songs he produced and was known for being hands on, though also known for being hands on a gun according to Lennon and others.

Boy this is an epic thread.
So much hating, because of mustard's perceived lack of complexity.

Newsflash the masses don't care. Some of y'all act as though the man has not put his time in.
Just because u spent 6 hours in front of piano or guitar it doesn't mean you have "it."
There are plenty of musicians in music programs who could not make a hit to save their life.

If mustard wants to learn the technical side of music has time and money (40 learned the keys after he got on and Mike Will talked about learning keys now).
The great Dr Dre has no "formal" music training and he is the greatest according to many people.

Time will tell whether he continues to develop his sound, but no one on here can predict that.

A little James Brown for u cats that know so much about music training:

Boy this is an epic thread.
So much hating, because of mustard's perceived lack of complexity.

Newsflash the masses don't care. Some of y'all act as though the man has not put his time in.
Just because u spent 6 hours in front of piano or guitar it doesn't mean you have "it."
There are plenty of musicians in music programs who could not make a hit to save their life.

If mustard wants to learn the technical side of music has time and money (40 learned the keys after he got on and Mike Will talked about learning keys now).
The great Dr Dre has no "formal" music training and he is the greatest according to many people.

Time will tell whether he continues to develop his sound, but no one on here can predict that.

A little James Brown for u cats that know so much about music training:

...and what does any of this have to do with Mustard being put in the sentence of "SuperProducer"?

Back