DJ Mustard & The Return of the Hip Hop Super Producer

Mike Will might 80gs from a Mariah, but most of his work, especially during Mustard's run, are with friends (Future, Miley Cyrus, Ciara), and executive producing, so its gonna be at lower bulk rates or trade off, being that he's doing his own album and needs verses, hes probably doing more tradeoffs at this point

rhe difference with Luke is working in a genre that treats people less disposable, producing whole albums, and developing artists with his label ... he may not have a top 5 hit, but he can always show up on Juicy J or Katy Perry album and make it back up there

he also collaborates with a team of producers, writers & musicians

If Mike Will can pull 80 stacks per track I really would like to know how much Timbaland and the Neptunes command per track...especially since their songs are not diluted all over the radio and typically go to well-funded artists.

I know many cats on this forum got a little emotional and took things personal when I stated Timbo, Birdman and Dr. Dre had said in numerous articles they charge up to $250,000 to artists not on their labels.

you can't compare hitmakers in the past to hitmakers today. It's all about the hot hand. Timbo and the neptunes rarely make a hit these days. Mike Will was making a few a year when he was pulling in that money.

If Mike Will can pull 80 stacks per track I really would like to know how much Timbaland and the Neptunes command per track...especially since their songs are not diluted all over the radio and typically go to well-funded artists.

I know many cats on this forum got a little emotional and took things personal when I stated Timbo, Birdman and Dr. Dre had said in numerous articles they charge up to $250,000 to artists not on their labels.

Lol, still on that? Mike Will doesn't make $80k a beat just because he made it once. That's like saying a waiter makes $50 a table because that was his tip once or twice. Apply that to the prior $250k discussion. Nothing was taken "personal" it ain't my money.

Last edited:
Nicki Minaj officially dethroned Michael Jackson for the most Top 100 Hits on Billboard 51 to 50...

Iggy Azalea is the first artist since the Beatles to have both her first 2 singles and features open at #1...

G
T
F
O
H

I would really love to hear these modern day apologists for pop radio justify how this shows we are not being force-fed "hits" and "hot songs" that people are "voting" for with no transparency or metrics. This proves the hypocrisy of radio and it's worthlessness.

Money talks - plain and simple and the only reason we hear Mustard's beats constantly and he's making "hits" is because his money is the only one talking. Yet, people still want to talk about giving him credit and trying to justify WHY we're hearing him as if it's because of talent and creating a unique sound?

*EOM*

Last edited:
Iggy got a bit of a head start on those figures Clear Channel’s ‘On the Verge’ program helped make Iggy Azalea a star. Here’s how it works. - The Washington Post

Also, before I heard Mannie Fresh's bounce remix of "Rolling in the Deep", I couldn't understand the big hype over Adele or what made her any different than a Marsha Ambrosius. A friend of mine, who would fall under the apologist category lol ... he was kind of offended by my implication for her. I can get into her songs now, but I still don't feel there's a major talent difference that warrants her rise over Marsha. And just last week, Marsha herself pretty much said the same thing when Charlemagne asked her about it. Basically she said it was the Elvis factor and that's how it goes. You could sense her frustration even though she remained calm about it.

As for Mustard, he didn't produce Fancy, but its a blatant imitation of his sound. And Mustard isn't the one who's money would be pushing his production in everybody's face. That would be the respective labels of each artist. His sound is hot. Rack City started a domino effect and now everybody keeps going back to him to get a bit of the flame. If you wanna mention Roc Nation ... okay, but that's there job to get him work.

I also don't think he's going anywhere any time soon.

https://youtu.be/_UkoHwS1Qzw

Sounds to me like Terrace Martin or Ty Dolla$ign or Chordz co-produced this with him, but a win is a win

Last edited:
Nicki Minaj officially dethroned Michael Jackson for the most Top 100 Hits on Billboard 51 to 50...

Iggy Azalea is the first artist since the Beatles to have both her first 2 singles and features open at #1...

G
T
F
O
H

I would really love to hear these modern day apologists for pop radio justify how this shows we are not being force-fed "hits" and "hot songs" that people are "voting" for with no transparency or metrics. This proves the hypocrisy of radio and it's worthlessness.

Money talks - plain and simple and the only reason we hear Mustard's beats constantly and he's making "hits" is because his money is the only one talking. Yet, people still want to talk about giving him credit and trying to justify WHY we're hearing him as if it's because of talent and creating a unique sound?

*EOM*

Of course it's bullshit, payola is alive and well. Radio plays, blog posts, all that shit is paid for. That being said, I do believe Rack City's success was "organic", it's a mixtape joint that exceeded its own expectations. People liked it a lot even before the label started investing money in it.

Payola never died. You just got more of an even playing field than ever before. Think about it like this. 30 years ago you really didn't have much choice on who you listened to. Not as many artists or as many outlets for artists to get their music out. As much as some of you say these artists are "shoved down our throats" They're sought out. There's alternatives. Youtube, soundcloud, soundclick, vine, etc... gives you the ability to have control over the music like never before. There was a time where you couldn't escape a hit, now I know people who couldn't name you a top artist in the game sales wise.

There's a difference between payola and paying a publicist to write press up for you and give you access to their network of blogs, magazines, and such. People are against any exchange of money and get mad when someone tells them their job should be free.

It's all in the perception. You can world anything a certain way and make a "breakable record". Sure, Nicki has been on 51 songs in the top 100...but how many of those were in the top 40 in comparison to most of Michael's being in the top 10? Again, time plays a part. These days you can sell 40k on a good week and be #1. Who cares to disclose all the millions of records Mike has sold in comparison to Nicki's few?

As for Iggy, it's convenient that they're "pretending" she's never had records on the radio before "Fancy'. "Work" just never existed now.
Work (Iggy Azalea song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What you guys are somehow missing...is actual numbers. Money going into pockets. Not "promotional" nonsense made to make these guys look as great as MJ or the beatles...but the actual consumers that will lace their pockets the same way. To give more perspective, Nicki made more off judging on American idol than she made her entire music career. No other judge can say the same off a season or 2. Guess that's another "record' she broke.

Iggy's sold 280k. 50k 1st week. Compared to the Beatles.....c'mon, son.

Point of all this...even with records broken, this day and age music doesn't generate the revenue it once did, so one's 'success" is gonna be judged by the wrong numbers due to perception.

Impress me and break a record with "sales" mentioned in it.

*EOM*

you're not making sense. Hit songs become hit songs for the most part. Look up his discography, do you know how many of Mustard's recent singles have failed? Vato went nowhere, Tinashe and T-pain couldn't crack the top 10. Not a hit single off his album yet which has had 2 singles released. Nothing to do with money talking or else Mike Will would have at least one hit in the hot 100 right now. Mustard made a few hits and now he needs to keep making hits or fizzle out like many before him, regardless of any payola. Besides why would his money be the only one talking? that's just silly. There are plenty of bigger names and more established producers than him and they all hit and miss.

Tinashe has been number 1 on Rhythmic for weeks & its still getting burn. Nico & Vinz just now passed her up.

Mustard also just dropped an album, so any of those songs could catch on and extend his run along with his other work out there

Tinashe has been number 1 on Rhythmic for weeks & its still getting burn. Nico & Vinz just now passed her up.

Mustard also just dropped an album, so any of those songs could catch on and extend his run along with his other work out there

you seem illiterate

Since you're such a literate individual, here's some raw data and the source links for you. Read this sir.

Rhythmic Songs : Page 1 | Billboard

^ Billboard Rhythmic Top 40 Chart
(The week's most-played rhythmic pop songs,ranked by radio airplay detections on rhythmic-formatted stations, as measured by Nielsen BDS.)

#1 Nico & Vinz "Am I Wrong" - Peak Position (#1), Last Week's Position (#2), Weeks On the Charts (#12)
#2 Tinashe "2On" - Peak Position (#1), Last Week's Position (#1), Weeks On the Charts (#19)
#3 Kid Ink "Main Chick"
#4 Jeremih "Don't Tell Em"

#2, 3, and 4 are all "Mustard on that beat ho"

Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs : Page 1 | Billboard

^ Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs Chart

(The week's most popular current R&B/hip-hopsongs, ranked by radio airplay audience impressions as measured by Nielsen BDS, sales data as compiled by Nielsen SoundScan and streaming activity data from online music sources tracked by Nielsen BDS. Songs are defined as current if they are newly-released titles, or songs receiving widespread airplay and/or sales activity for the first time)
#6 (2On), #7 (Don't Tell Em) are both Mustard
with 2On peaking at #5 so far
the #1 song (Fancy) being a clear imitation of his sound

The Hot 100 : Page 3 | Billboard

^ Billboard Hot 100 Chart

(The week's most popular current songs acrossall genres, ranked by radio airplay audience impressions as measured by Nielsen BDS, sales data as compiled by Nielsen SoundScan and streaming activity data from online music sources tracked by Nielsen BDS. Songs are defined as current if they are newly-released titles, or songs receiving widespread airplay and/or sales activity for the first time.)
#3 song (Fancy) being a clear imitation of his sound
with peak of #1 overall of all songs played period, and I'll give you one guess why its performed better than his other songs
#25 (2On) with a peak of 24, up one from 26 last week, with only 14 weeks on the chart

To debrief, 2On is doing well, as is many of Mustard's other productions. Top 25 of all songs played across all formats, and climbing ... that's nothing to sneeze at. Has been #1 in her particular format. The Hot 100 includes country stations, adult contemporary, etc. so it takes a lot to get up there from this genre, and the fact that its been a top performer in its own format means its doing very well. So are many of his productions. This is why he's getting singles and making peoples albums, because he's getting newcomers up their on the charts, as well as work with older artists like Jeremih, and bigger acts like T.I.

Last edited:

the #1 song (Fancy) being a clear imitation of his sound

And that's where the "super producer" name ends in the near future for any and all of us. My point. So what does DJ Mustard have that can outweigh the "artist" song creation process? Because his name IMO is not strong enough alone to fight off all the potential clones that can have the next BIG HIT without the need of him. Compared to Lil Jon and Pharrell "singing and rapping on hook". That CANNOT be duplicated. It then becomes a joke...a parody to do that shit.....like" WE WANT THE ORIGINAL". Beats ain't shit, though.......open for all biters now..it's perfectly fine in the laws of "grinding"............right?Doesn't have to come from a Pop Star......we seeing over night celebs swarm the charts for a period. A PERIOD.......meaning somebody else can take that position SOON.

Not to take away from his now and future accomplishments. It's too early. I mean last year "urban" music had no sound on the charts that pinpointed some kind of era. Boom!!!! 2014 it sounds like DJ Mustard.............see yall next year when London be the talk of 2015........

Last edited:
1) he's doing DJ sets which keeps his brand relevant
2) he's signed to Roc Nation, so he has access to big name artists
3) he can put out his own albums which are a platform for chart success as long as his brand is relevant
4) he has his own label with Ty Dolla$ign & YG so he can go the Dr. Luke route, which can extend his reign the way Death Row & Aftermath (including Shady/G-Unit) did for Dre
5) people are still going to him with all the biters out there, and he's been collaborating with musicians & other producers to add variety to his sound ... his sound is so hot right now that people will get one of his beats and bring their own people in to work with it instead of buying a beat that's all the way there from somebody else, because of what the name does for an artist

not that i'm polejocking, I just try to take the bias out and look at it from a business perspective so I can learn what works and apply that to what I'm doing

^^^^none of that secures him for next year. It's easy to speak on the past and now.

1. He can get stuck as a DJ

2. He's signed to Roc Nation........when he is doing "whole albums" or majority of an album that is doing great with "major artist" on it then I'll come back. As for now, that doesn't separate him from anybody else as him being SUPER.

3. Who can't? DJ Khaled is THE BEST!!!! Mike Will done it............You can do it tomorrow.

4. Possibility........same as Mike Will....right? Same as various others within this era. Results?

5. This still 2014 right? Well damn....they already biting. Didn't even give him "a years" worth of breathing room. At least Lex had a little breathing room before he got drowned out.

Fancy is proof that producers are not the main ingredient even though most would like to think that and will hold on to dear life with that thought. These producers names today are NOT LARGE ENOUGH to make noise on it's own. This is 2014 going into 2015. Nobody's name is big. We can quit looking up "who produced what" in a way of following a format. This is not 1999 -2005. Damn near 10 years from those years. I would say I'm getting old......NAW...YALL GETTING OLD WITH ME. lol!

There is a formula that definitely works and has always worked. Just takes a certain type of "mind set". And that mind set is what separates guys like Pharrell and Lil Jon from the rest. They will forever be remembered because they gave and give us something to remember. That is something a "producer" can produce but can't put his name on. It goes beyond all of that other shit. The term "Super producer" is actually limiting when we name some of these guys to be one....it waters the term down when we think of what others were which were MORE THAN PRODUCERS. We putting people in their category and "using their goals instead of accomplishments" to put them in that category. All I'm saying. The term loses it's integrity because we want someone to be what they are not yet. IF THAT'S ALL IT TAKES then damn............

Last edited:
Back