DJ Mustard & The Return of the Hip Hop Super Producer

DJ Mustard has multiple songs on the radio right now. Timbaland has none.

DJ Mustard is a superproducer. So is Timbaland.

I just hope DJ Mustard does not fall into the trap of changing his sound because people start biting him. He invented his style and should let it change organically.

Last edited:
Okay man, I'm not gonna try to claim that the Neptunes are not extremely talented or that I think Mustard is on their level (u had me when u cited Kelis, which most people don't know it was like there first major project).

Still . . . I don't think you're acknowledging that a) Mustard is still very early in his career, and b) it does take talent to make a hit and keep making hits (even if its viewed as simple in terms of musical complexity). Some of the most notable songs in music history (all genres) are relatively simple in terms of the structure. Gifted musicians can take the most simple idea and turn it into something beautiful

Nah, i do think he's talented and i like his beats, especially the Robin S. inspired stuff... He's good for the culture too, will probably inspire more people to DJ which is way better then just chasing placements

I can agree on that. But remember I'm not saying he's yet on those guys level but in terms of impacting he's the closest thing we've witnessed since that era. At least some of those rappers and trappers are crossing over and are winning on the pop side which you have to give him credit for. That "Fancy" record wouldn't exist if it wasn't for his sound being so hot and we all know how big that record is in 2014

same can be said about Nic Nac producion on "Loyal"... and there are so many cats out there hopping on the mustard train right now..... I think the only thing that might kill DJ Mustard is the fact that its very easy to take his "style"....

it wasnt easy to emulate the Neptunes and Timbo during they reign on the radio though they stuff was simple but effective (in theory to Rick Rubin on minimal production being stronger than fully orchestrated production which I do believe this theory its true)

hopefully and Im sure he has the resources, he will abandon that style all together and change the game again... thats the mustard Im looking forward to next... the reinvention of one self

hopefully and Im sure he has the resources, he will abandon that style all together and change the game again... thats the mustard Im looking forward to next... the reinvention of one self
NO!

He needs to keep his style. I hate it when producers change their style. Let the biters bite and find one small change. A dramatic change is what makes people fall off.

Last edited:
lol I remember when cats were saying that all of the neptunes beats minus a hand off sounded the same....... and like this era cats were trying they best to bite them... history repeats itself

I don't remember anybody saying that. Why? Because the Neptunes created a whole new sound. Their drum kits were not done or heard by anybody in hip-hop or R&B. They created a distinct sound just off drums alone. Mustards sound is nothing but Bay Area/Southern sounding beats. We been hearing mustard sounding beats around here for 10 years. I never heard a Neptunes beat before Neptunes.

he will abandon that style all together and change the game again... thats the mustard Im looking forward to next... the reinvention of one self

How can you come to this point...
You havnt been around long enough to fully see how far your style goes.....

I don't remember anybody saying that. Why? Because the Neptunes created a whole new sound. Their drum kits were not done or heard by anybody in hip-hop or R&B. They created a distinct sound just off drums alone. Mustards sound is nothing but Bay Area/Southern sounding beats. We been hearing mustard sounding beats around here for 10 years. I never heard a Neptunes beat before Neptunes.

for the most part what made the neptunes so huge was the fact they were doing they drums live (mixing up they acoustic room) and combining that with the Korg Trinity and Roland Jv1080... however on topic what matters the most in music production is if someone can make a song to it.......

cant produce hits if you cant produce a song... thats all that matters right?

are you sure? :)

The thing with Neptunes is they were in the bands and played instruments before they started producing, I like DJ Mustard, but I also think he keeps making similar sounding simple stuff out of necessity and lack of musical knowledge :(

Here is another Neptunes track released around the same time as Superthug, and aside from the drums (live kit, same room), those two songs sound nothing alike. They were always able to capture different moods or pay homage to different genres/different eras

Another reason why the Neptunes are so great, you think it's just 4 keys on the Triton, meanwhile they replayed obscure jazz record from the 80's.

Ever notice how different that Kelis song sounded than the rest of the album? If I remember right, it was recorded live with musicians on instruments beyond just the Nepz(Michael Marquartat was probably utilized)at his sopt where records like this are often developed. It was then sent to NYC for mixing at right track, that song took the most outside work in comparison to everything else on the album. EVERYTHING else on that album was recorded in the same spot(different than above song). I'd hope anyone in this forum given guitarists, engineers, ect. to their disposal could do the same if not better making a pop ballad, if not, you're in the wrong business. Thus far, Mustard seems to only be using Reason. Send him to work with Michael Marquart and he could have a ballad of the same caliber I'm sure. In all fairness you could have made your point with Kelis' song "Suspended".

And again, I'm NOT saying mustard is comparable to the Nepz now, but absolutely comparable to them when they were a couple years into the music as he is. As said with mentioning Timbo's beat value, different eras create different opportunities, should we pretend the Nepz would have the same #1 hits with artists like Clipse and Nore if they were released in the last couple years?

Ever notice how different that Kelis song sounded than the rest of the album? If I remember right, it was recorded live with musicians on instruments beyond just the Nepz(Michael Marquartat was probably utilized)at his sopt where records like this are often developed. It was then sent to NYC for mixing at right track, that song took the most outside work in comparison to everything else on the album. EVERYTHING else on that album was recorded in the same spot(different than above song). I'd hope anyone in this forum given guitarists, engineers, ect. to their disposal could do the same if not better making a pop ballad, if not, you're in the wrong business. Thus far, Mustard seems to only be using Reason. Send him to work with Michael Marquart and he could have a ballad of the same caliber I'm sure. In all fairness you could have made your point with Kelis' song "Suspended".

I think Chad was already playing guitar at that time. (also killed that sax solo at the end of "Suspended") It says on the cover: "All songs and instruments were produced, performed and arranged by Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo (Neptunes) for Star Trek Entertainment."

Last edited:
Pretty sure that cover lied. Left out details to the least. Plenty of times work for hire musicians who make huge contributions aren't credited. I know for fact that was the one "outsourced" song on the album because I've worked out the studio where it was recorded. Stuff on justin timberlake's debut was done there as well. I just can't remember the name of the spot a decade later. Michael maquart ran the spot. And that song was sent to nyc(right track) for mixing.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that cover lied. Left out details to the least. Plenty of times work for hire musicians who make huge contributions aren't credited. I know for fact that was the one "outsourced" song on the album because I've worked out the studio where it was recorded. Stuff on justin timberlake's debut was done there as well. I just can't remember the name of the spot a decade later. Michael maquart ran the spot. And that song was sent to nyc(right track) for mixing.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time something like that happened in the industry. It does say "Track 14 recorded at Windmark Recordings, Virginia Beach, VA. " Apparently they bought that studio back in 2005.
It just doesn't sound like something they would struggle with making or recording. From all the stuff i heard/seen i'm pretty sure Chad can play his ass off on a bunch of instruments.

i'm just gonna leave this here for all the other Neptunes Stans:

I think I'm continuing to be misunderstood in this thread. You put Linda Perry in a room, you get a Linda Perry Sound, regardless of who else contributes. Same for Kanye, Timbo, and the Neptunes for the most part. All I'm saying is if ever there was a questionable song of origin in their catalog, that would be it. In all fairness, I'm in the area and familiar with the local artist who's sound kind of reflects that song, it just so happens it was recorded in his studio(at the time)where they would've gone for access to tools needed to create that ballad.

Since then, they've acquired enough not to ever rely on anyone else again. To relate this back to mustard...who's to say 8 years from now we won't be able to find vids of him "playing" more than Reason?

And again, to clarify, this is all speculation, I wasn't in the room and never talked to Mike about that specific song, but it has his vibe all over it. Even if I'm right, that takes nothing from their musical accomplishments. You don't have to touch a single instrument to be a great producer. Timbaland has plenty of these stories that I'm 100% sure of, and he's still a musical genius in my book.

Last edited:
Since then, they've acquired enough not to ever rely on anyone else again. To relate this back to mustard...who's to say 8 years from now we won't be able to find vids of him "playing" more than Reason?

I don't know man, i don't think he'll ever have that musical range as the Neptunes, that of course is just my opinion and i might be completely wrong. :sigh: At the end of day as long as you're having fun making music, who the hell really cares?

Attachments

• Drop It Synth.mp3
    133.7 KB · Views: 17

Truth regarding the musicians not getting credit on liner notes.

Kanye, Dr Dre, even Rodney Jerkins have in-house bands that will do the majority of the melody and song creation.

I've heard stories of Dr. Dre literally walking into the studio with his band and saying, "Play this on bass" and he'll then hum some random bass line. The bass player will play and Dre will go, "That's it!". The band then adds on their individual parts, Dre will add the drums and the credits will say the song was produced by Dre.

Much of Kanye's 2nd album was done by Jon Brion because even Kanye knew he couldn't come up with the melodies and chord progressions that that monster Jon Brion could. His most recent was a lot of Daft Punk, Rick Rubin and No I.D. even produced a track and gave advice, but majority of the songs will say Produced by Kanye West.

I've even seen liner notes that say Beyonce produced some of her own tracks and Dame Dash randomly produced Jay's banger It's Alright...really?

Difference between a super producer and a not super producer:

Anyone (with enough knowledge of how to produce) could successfully replicate a Mustard beat, word to Iggy - Fancy and Ab-Soul - Twact

Borderline impossible to swaggerjack someone like Neptunes or Timbaland. :/

Anyone (with enough knowledge of how to produce) could successfully replicate a Mustard beat, word to Iggy - Fancy and Ab-Soul - Twact

...and the funny thing is you have cats all over this post saying that the Neptunes are "simple" and Timbaland is "a bunch of 1 bar loops" who then proceed to be all over Mustard's nuggets...kids say the darndest things. Matter fact - this post has inspired to check out everyones beats. The Timbo/Nepz crowd vs. the Mustard crowd - wonder what I'll hear.

ummm theyre were toooooons of people biting both timbo and neptunes style waaay back in the dayz..... me being one of them lol.....

ummm theyre were toooooons of people biting both timbo and neptunes style waaay back in the dayz..... me being one of them lol.....

Same here. When I was first starting out. I actually had a file called timbo style beats and another one called neptunes style of beats because those were people I loved to listen to. lol

So, wait, are we saying guys like Just Blaze,DJ Premier, and MAX MARTIN.........MAX F**KIN MARTIN aren't "superproducers" because they don't jump in front of a camera? Really?
max martin isn't a hip hop producer tho. Even though he is a super producer, he isnt hip hop. Hes been in the game for almost 3 decades and still isn't slowing down. He deserves that super producer title.

Lets not forget about Jazze Pha

Last edited:
Back