DJ Mustard & The Return of the Hip Hop Super Producer

Based on DJ Mustard's current successful run would you 1) put him in the Super Producer category and if so do you 2) think this is the beginning of new era of Super Producers or is Mustard a one off anomaly?

And just to clarify when I say Super Producer I'm not referring to necessarily the level of talent but the commercial dominance where the labels can slap almost any artists on the producer's track and its almost guaranteed to be a hit record.

he is a super producer like it or not... you cant take anything away from him even if some of these guys on here think he is wack.... whatever lets see you do it (Im not talking about you Legal Dollaz lol)

Based on DJ Mustard's current successful run would you 1) put him in the Super Producer category and if so do you 2) think this is the beginning of new era of Super Producers or is Mustard a one off anomaly?

And just to clarify when I say Super Producer I'm not referring to necessarily the level of talent but the commercial dominance where the labels can slap almost any artists on the producer's track and its almost guaranteed to be a hit record.

First, I'm a Mustard fan.

I haven't made music in a few years I guess but I understand the man that understands the fans. You don't have to be a musically trained elitist to know what makes the college / HS drop outs move. You can know all the theory in the world and cannot relate to the people with 26's on an Impala...

It's called narcissism... "They don't know nothing" attitude. The market will sustain itself by people like Mustard that keep making Mustard and don't try to make "ketchup".

Where's Lex Luger? You get a flash in the pan... here's what I suggest...

Last edited:
Rome just shut it down.

Boom.

That's the missing element that cats don't get.
Behind the music are people, and behind those people are the people who relate to those people because they all comin from the same place...

you guys hate calling people super producers if theyre not doing complex chord changes

well guess what. neptunes beats were not that complicated.

look up busta rhymes what it is right now

timbaland & magoo. all yall (hell most their songs were just catchy ass 1 bar loops)

scott storch ran the clubs with 1 bar of strings playing the shit out the pitch bend.

didnt make them any more complex or lush.

give credit where its due.
dude took the summer and youre comparing it to shawty redd getting a film placement.

2000's is over yall. lol! The super producer era is done. Mustard is dope. But there is a big difference between his importance and Lil Jon's importance back then.

Super producer era.............that era birth MTV Generator, Fruity Loops, the boom of affordable equipment that we still see today, more "not so super" producers getting recognized as maybe being "next" (even though that's the only interview they've had") the rise and fall of a producer magazine made for people like us <---------that alone says something.

Let me ask yall something.......would you trust 100k in DJ Mustard's hand with an artist who doesn't have much of a pull to do things off the strength of their own name?

When you answer that......think of producers that have. And there is your answer. The list of super producers is VERY SMALL. Dudes got capes and fly in the air and shit. I don't see anybody flying in the air except the "SAME SUPER PRODUCERS" we all know. Timbaland, Dr.Dre, Pharrell..ect. The super producer era is the reason we use the word super producer loosely. But hell, if DJ Mustard is a super producer.......then what is Timbaland....Pharrell......Jermaine Dupri?

And trust me......that's not me hating at all. We all have been blinded by the 2000's boom. We still try to hold on to it. lol! We are in a better place because of it. Let it rest. Today at 4'oclock pm you can be DJ Mustard..............can you be Pharrell? Hell no!!! Not even in 5 years.

Last edited:
a super producer is just a hitmaker that's consistent over at least 2-3 years. Making hits in 1 year could be a fluke or flash in the pan, like hit boy and possibly mike will. Mustard hasn't had a top 40 release this year. If his run is over already, of course he isn't a super producer. If he's making hits into next year, he can claim that.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses to the thread. Keep in mind there is no exact definition of the term "super producer" so its open to healthy debate

2000's is over yall. lol! The super producer era is done. Mustard is dope. But there is a big difference between his importance and Lil Jon's importance back then.

i agree and i think a big reason is that with the speed of information/entertainment a lot of people's attention spans are shorter, particularly the people that matter (pre-teens to early-20s)

Yes i would put him as a Super Producer and yea... the era has begun like a year ago, but even when i love Dj Mustard i think it wont last long.... he will change sounds, mix and samples and start making totally a different thing like he did with "Left , Right" song

Want to be a super producer that will not fall due to getting your style jacked for less...........you got to have the hammer pants.

mike-will-gif.gif

I believe yes , he is actually the producer who everyone talks about when it comes to twerk rap hip hop

you guys hate calling people super producers if theyre not doing complex chord changes

well guess what. neptunes beats were not that complicated.

look up busta rhymes what it is right now

timbaland & magoo. all yall (hell most their songs were just catchy ass 1 bar loops)

scott storch ran the clubs with 1 bar of strings playing the shit out the pitch bend.

didnt make them any more complex or lush.

give credit where its due.
dude took the summer and youre comparing it to shawty redd getting a film placement.

exactly.... these dudes dont get it....... and at the same time as people saying that his career will be short.... they forget of how much he's done for music in his short time... he will have atleast 2 grammy's next year.... and people will still hate him.... most people on here hating on his beats can't even play the keys themselves not alone an instrument

He ain't made enough hits for me to call him a "super producer" but hey I'm just stating my opinion. I like his work but I wanna see consistency!

he actually had the the most hit records and one of the few if not the only hiphop producer charting in the top 40 in the last 2 years lmao

Last edited:
I dnt think niggas hatin on em....
I figure they figure its to early to say.....
So goin by the...standard....
Would yall consider alchemist a "super producer"....

Thats the thing im not understanding....
Alchemist been on hella albums mixtapes...
Even got his own tapes with artist featuring over his beats....
Been consistent countless years....

But mustard is a super producer....

Back