Dilla/Primo vs Pharrell/Timbo

gotta understand ima musician at the end of the day, so all that chopping samples to make them sound like the soul artist he sampled is having a stroke is just corny to me. there was no real musical elements to the music, the drums are trash, the mixes are trash, and the songs he produced arent really that good

never liked Gangstarr, never liked Group Home, never liked any of that weak shit lol.
glenn-beck-crying.jpg

Ya killin' me right now...

Last edited:
lol i know my opinions on Premo make everybody cringe, cant help it

give me Pete Rock, RZA, Prince Paul, Q-Tip, Alchemist, i mean honestly give me any other producer and i'll probably be able to find more music i like then what i heard from Premo lol

gotta understand ima musician at the end of the day, so all that chopping samples to make them sound like the soul artist he sampled is having a stroke is just corny to me. there was no real musical elements to the music, the drums are trash, the mixes are trash, and the songs he produced arent really that good

never liked Gangstarr, never liked Group Home, never liked any of that weak shit lol. I just like music that stands the test of time over the years, i listen to DJ Premier music in 2014 and feel like its ancient, i listen to Dilla, Timbo, Pharrell and i feel like its still fresh. His music is just stale to me. Always a legend so respect for being a pioneer but gotta just call it like it is lol

if i heard Dj Premier beats from FP cats i'd probably laugh them off the site, he probably has only 5 beats that i would consider good.

lol dont let my "status" stop you from voicing your opinions, ima nobody i'd kill for success for a career like Premo, but the music is just mediocre to me. Give me The Alchemist over premo, similar styles except 100000x better
Reasonable. I just think u have to respect the order of things, and his influence

give me Pete Rock, RZA, Prince Paul, Q-Tip, Alchemist, i mean honestly give me any other producer and i'll probably be able to find more music i like then what i heard from Premo lol
Of the people u mention only pete rock, tip, and Prince paul were making beats when he started.
Only Pete Rock could scratch like him.
Alchemist ain't got no classic like Jeru's "come clean" if u ask me.

premo changed the game a couple of times, especially when it comes to drums and mixing. dre got those loud mixes and huge drums from premier. go listen to the moment of truth, nothing sounded like that back in 1997/98

Man, its all good, I ain't takin' it seriously, people like what they like.

to quote the light skin prophet drake

"**** all that happy to be here shit yall want me on"

i respect pioneers for what they did to pave the way, but just like Lebron James is a better basketball player than Bill Russell was, being first doesnt mean youre better just becuase you were first lol. I compare everybody on a equal playing field.

like im not gonna consider somebody better just because they were influential, there are a lot of producers who i was inspired by that i think i'm better than at this point in my career

but its all good convo, people are always gonna gravitate to what resonates with them most and everybody has different things that draw them into certain beats, for me Premo just didnt do the track, i do love Come Clean tho

Last edited:
^^ i can respect that.
But who messing with his drums?

lol anybody but pharrell and kanye to me, i never really saw what was special about them. I always like dilla's groove i stole a lot of things from that style especially with what he was doing with Neo-Soul, i mean truthfully dilla created a genre so i'll always have a high respect for his work and the fact he programmed a lot of those and just sampled ?uestlove and recreated patterns that ?uest was playing on MPCs, i think his ability to understand drums and use it with technology was incredible, same with Hi-Tek hes another guy who i think drums are crazy thats underrated

Battlecat the OG got some crazy drums too. i just like swing that feels like its being played by a band, not the boom bap feel it just always felt cheesy to me

Na, i disagree at that early time of the 90s his drums unique to me.
Or maybe it was just he had a signature sound.
I can't say nothing bad about Dilla

Not sure what happened to hi-tek.
I thought he was about to be that dude, but kinda fell off.

Nevertheless, u say Tomato I say tomato.

It's all good:cheers:

I think Premo made some of the hottest beats of all time like "Nas Is Like" or "Above The Clouds".
He could also make really smooth soulful tracks. Those are on "Moment Of Truth". To me the greatest rap-album of all time.cou

But the last couple of years i didn't check much Premo.

I think Neptunes/Timbo are much more musical though than Premo. which i gotta respect

Back