Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Datpiff.com Legal?

phatpat is offline Soldier Member

Is Datpiff.com Legal?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Found this awesome mixtape website––http://www.datpiff.com ––does anyone know if it is legal to download mixtapes from there?
    Last edited by phatpat; 07-11-2007 at 03:09 AM.

cuedox is offline Senior Member
    mixtapes can be a touchy subject, and I dont know if datpiff is legal, but i know i downoad mixtapes from torrent sites.

Stréetwíze Productnz is offline Insane FP Patriot
    Dunno if its legal but those mixtapes will be thankful for it cuz it gives them so much promotion, hella people browse through that site. Dont the record label contact them anyway? I contacted the site to get my mixtape on there...

SP

H&R
    H&R is offline DJ NICE
    No offense but just in general ...

Start rant :

I'm sick of people worried and scared if mixtapes are legal or not ... 1st the DJ Drama situation was just a scare. Him or Cannon haven't been charged with anything. 2nd The feds aren't gonna bust down your door because you downloaded a mixtape from a website or you sell a mixtape (If that was the case everybody would be getting hit left and right not just drama & cannon, what about clue, kay slay, green lantern, etc. ?). It was a scare people and also they assumed they were gonna go in and find bootlegg albums and drugs as well and they were COMPLETLY WRONG and probly pissed off that they didn't find that. I'm up on the mixtape scene 24/7 people and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. 3rd dont think the feds are blind and can overlook sites like that. It is known that datpiff.com exists and it's not getting shutdown (Just like it's known about ll the sites where you can get cracked software in plain sight). I know tons of people who use datpiff.com daily to download or just stream mixtapes from normal people to industry people. Those downloads/listen numbers get payed attention to by a few a&rs as well if some of you didnt know (Which is another topic in itself).

End Rant

Mixtapes are a grey area with lupoles ... If your using a majority of album tracks on a tape then your gonna get hit for BOOTLEGGING (Other than singles) ... Thats what some people are getting hit for. But as you all know mixtapes feature a majority of tracks that are not on albums that are done just for the mixtapes and thats fine as the record labels don't own any of those songs ... BOTTOM LINE they ain't stop mixtapes or making them illegal. You cant tell someone its illegal to put music they make (Yes they as in the artists that record tracks for the djs as well as host the tapes and do drops) on cd and release it as a mixtape.
    Last edited by H&R; 07-11-2007 at 04:55 AM.
    www.DESIGNBYNICE.com -Your Graphic Design Solution

beatz by greed is offline Registered User
    mixtapes are illegal. period. when you sell a cd full of music from artists that are legally bound to work for another company that owns any subsequent copyrighted tracks, then you need to get their permission. Unless an artist does a freestyle over another beat, which is still technically bootlegging. a bad trend i'm seeing is remixes coming out before i hear the actual single from the actual artist, that sh*t is confusing to the consumer dog.

they are essential, however, to hip hop and are a great marketing tool. but making money off of artist's music (a lot of which hasn't been released yet) is what a successful dj does in this day and age, don't get me wrong, i still pursue mixtapes to hear new beats, but i know that holding all these songs are wrong when you're substituting artist's albums for dj's mixtapes. the artist is hurt. but the mc's themselves will never complain, it's all good - great promotion, exposure. is where we are right now with the RIAA because the industry is and always be a racket, a money making institution. And they weren't seeing any money off this booming mixtape culture. So now you're seeing "the official mixtape" from jeezy and whatnot as basically controlling how the music gets out there from def jam down.

btw i love a good mixtape

datpiff.com in theory is only fair b/c the dj's in essence do the same thing when they play and distribute artist's track. It's a cool way of streaming new sh*t without trying to find it in the streets, i'm in reno and they're is no mixtape spot here.

i'm done ranting
    Last edited by beatz by greed; 07-11-2007 at 06:26 AM. Reason: i can't spell when i'm blowed

H&R
    H&R is offline DJ NICE
    Quote Originally Posted by beatz by greed
    mixtapes are illegal. period.
    - So if me and my artist go in and make a mixtape all
    original productions and lyrics it's illegal ?

- If me and Jeezy go in the studio and bang out a mixtape with all
    original production and lyrics and none of the track are tracks from his
    albums and he even does drops for the tape ... It's illegal ? Even though
    he gives full permission ?

Mixtapes are not all illegal ... It's a grey area, it depends on exactly
    what yo are doing for it to be considered illegal. With the BS talk about
    needing to have permission to use certain songs on tapes (In example
    of singles and album cuts) but if it's a track thats not on an album or
    any official release please explain to me how it's illegal ? Mixtape tracks
    are like releasing something to public domain. I know more than enough
    DJ's who pump mixtapes out on a regular basis to know this big and
    small.

It's a grey area ...
    www.DESIGNBYNICE.com -Your Graphic Design Solution

the kity whisperer is offline Registered User

djba$$ay2k5 is offline Registered User
    mixtapes aren't 100% illegal, its the bad business practices that are copuled with them
    "FL Studio in da trunk . . . Fcuk wit it"
    FYI: I don't HAVE to post my music here in FP, you are more than welcome to check out my myspace or PMP page. Thats why its not set on private.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...MPIcon1001.jpghttp://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/...LogoDotcom.gif

beatz by greed is offline Registered User
    that's funny!

here's our last sh*t

http://www.datpiff.com/Nas-Phil-Coll...c-mid1680.html#

Quote Originally Posted by djba$$ay2k5
    mixtapes aren't 100% illegal, its the bad business practices that are copuled with them
    i agree, but nobody's stopping these wack a$$ pausetape dj's from dropping 2 cd's a week. I'm glad we got a little breathing room now
    Last edited by beatz by greed; 07-11-2007 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

the kity whisperer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by beatz by greed
    that's funny!

here's our last sh*t

http://www.datpiff.com/Nas-Phil-Coll...c-mid1680.html#

i agree, but nobody's stopping these wack a$$ pausetape dj's from dropping 2 cd's a week. I'm glad we got a little breathing room now

Are the Justos on this year?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information