The D.O.C. is gonna get his voice restored through surgery?

BJv

play
Remember The D.O.C.? For those that don't know, The D.O.C. released a classic album in the late 80's produced by Dr. Dre, he then lost his voice in a car crash. He's been working with Dre again the last couple of years, ghostwriting, serving as a second pair of ears. He was also there during the recording of most Ruthless/Deathrow Dre produced albums and the 2001 album.

Yesterday, I spoke with legendary Fort Worth rapper, former Dr. Dre protoge, and world renowned lyricist - The D.O.C. The D.O.C. wanted me to give y'all guys a tidbit on Voice Through Hot Vessels. A little while ago, The D.O.C. stated that he planned on having other rapper rap his lyrics on his last album like what took place on his collaboration album with Six-2 entitled Deuce. However, that isn't the case anymore. Thanks to modern science, The D.O.C. is making a return to the mic with his actual voice in check. No, not the raspy one that we all love as well, but the one the West Coast remembers. After Detox is finished, The D.O.C. is having surgery done to get his voice back and come back for one more album which we have all have wanted for the longest time. The D.O.C. told me to spread this around, and I hope you do too because The D.O.C. is one of the best MC's to EVER touch the mic. Stay tuned to West Coast Aftershock for the latest D.O.C. news.

The plan is to document this on video and let the "comeback" be part of the promo story for the album.

Voice before:

[video=youtube;<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Hjb0EqeZZO4&hl=nl&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Hjb0EqeZZO4&hl=nl&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>]video[/video]

voice after:

[video=youtube;<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/gvJKBG5liu4&hl=nl&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/gvJKBG5liu4&hl=nl&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>]video[/video]

Last edited:
WELL DAMN

DOC was on the verge of greatness. He himself said he was thankful for the accident because of the life he was leading wasn't healthy and he got bring him back down to earth but i wish that could have happen without him losing his voice.

the reality show idea is the way to go lol, they could use It's Funky Enough for the theme song and it would get people's attention that only heard Shyne's version, but yea I'll definitely check that out, his first album was classic, only thing is, 20 years later, is it gonna be like LL 20 years later?

Yeah, I wonder if his flow will sound dated. Things have changed a lot.

I'm glad for him though.

biggrome said:

I'm glad for him though.

If anything I don't think itll sound more outdated than any other westcoast cat out there. D.O.C.'s 2002ish project was pretty good for that time.

I think it's different than taking a Rakim and putting him back into the studio. The D.O.C. was already more of a ghostwriter and behind the scenes guy before he lost his voice. He's been ghostwriting and coming up with track concepts on Dre's biggest success records. I don't think it's a coincidence that he's there again working right alongside Dre on Detox. Dre needs somebody he can trust to say shyt is wack when it's wack.

Off topic:

Tony_Tone known for them devilish opinions:
image1zo1.gif

Last edited:
biggrome said:

I'm glad for him though.

We'll D.O.C has been writing for Dr.Dre and his Aftermath artist for years now. He may not be as agile as he was in the early 90's [lyrically] but I definitely think his lyrical ability is well intact.

I hope all goes well.

I know he isnt gonna have a problem with lyrics.. Ive heard some stuff from him and he's definitely one of the better lyricists right now.

I wouldn't mind him havin the same flow either. I wasnt even born when he was out but I still love his music and wouldn't mind him doin tha same stuff he did on Funky Enough or anything like that.

biggrome said:

I'm glad for him though.

He put out an album called Deuce a few years ago. Had some dope stuff on there and some not so dope stuff. His voice was the injured voice though.

And he's still writing for Dr Dre and Snoop...and they sh*t always sounds fresh.

If they can do this, it would be a miracle.

His writing may be top notch but ask any old school emcee from KRS, to Cube to Face to rap and their styles still have a certain feel that they're from a certain "era" attached to 'em. Sort of like Primo's beats.

Dre still raps like he's in NWA. Snoop still sounds like he did on Gin and Juice. They've kept their "star" shining by associating with younger acts on the rise (Eminem, Neptunes) but if somebody said Special Ed was coming back... I don't know if a lot of people would get excited.

Considering what happened to D.O.C., there will be a lot of interest and I'm pretty sure he has ties to a lot of talented people that can make his project a success (Dre for beats, Snoop, Nate Dogg, etc.).

I'll def be checking it out though. I support all of the guys that had to build Hip Hop into an industry where guys can buy chains with canary diamonds that make up their face... and the guys that built it have to watch it happen. They should have a rappers pension plan where 2 cent of your record sales go to a fund for the pioneers that got on before 1995.

biggrome said:
His writing may be top notch but ask any old school emcee from KRS, to Cube to Face to rap and their styles still have a certain feel that they're from a certain "era" attached to 'em. Sort of like Primo's beats.

Dre still raps like he's in NWA. Snoop still sounds like he did on Gin and Juice. They've kept their "star" shining by associating with younger acts on the rise (Eminem, Neptunes) but if somebody said Special Ed was coming back... I don't know if a lot of people would get excited.

Considering what happened to D.O.C., there will be a lot of interest and I'm pretty sure he has ties to a lot of talented people that can make his project a success (Dre for beats, Snoop, Nate Dogg, etc.).

I'll def be checking it out though. I support all of the guys that had to build Hip Hop into an industry where guys can buy chains with canary diamonds that make up their face... and the guys that built it have to watch it happen. They should have a rappers pension plan where 2 cent of your record sales go to a fund for the pioneers that got on before 1995.

Yeah, u right.

And Special Ed did come back...in like 2003. It was the most god awful stuff I had ever heard. I would rather listen to Neox over some Hot Traxxx beats.

I hope the surgery is successful.
I will most definitely pick that cd up.
Even if his flow is the same his lyrics will be fire and I'm sure he will get good production.

My only concern is if he sign with aftermath his cd won't see the light of day.

I work for snoops manager and my homie justin teds assistant the one that took him to the doctors. The doctors saying its looking pretty good, but still not guaranteed. Thatd be CRAZY if his voice got fully recovered

Last edited:
I've never heard of this guy before, but after listening to a few tracks, I decided I'ma keep up on his track record. Thanks for the heads up, I'm a fan!

~Ak-Nolij

Back