Classical Music and Hip Hop.

KelevraOne

Not too Kelevra son
Seeing as how their is an outcry for an interesting thread I've decided to provide one by asking FP members this. How do you see today's hip hop being viewed 100 or maybe even 200 years from now? Do you think it will age like classical music and become a refined style of music? Do you see musicians years from now doing their rendition of a song that was popular in our life time? Do you think there will be a Hip Hop Mozart,Beethoven, Bach, etc...

Let me know what Fp thinks

Hard to tell that far into the future, but we can look into the past a bit easier. There were recrdings made well over a hundred years ago, and if you count piano rolls as a type of recording even earlier than that. Some good music too, like Louis Armstrong.

Ultimatly, music from history will be looked at the same way it is now. There will be a few groups getting together and playing some classic Biggie Smalls. But the majority of people wont really be into it. They will be more into whatever is new and popular at that time.

Last edited:
Honestly I think hip-hop will be over and done with in way less than 100 years.

Speaking of which, anybody here use classical music influences in their hip-hop. I'm listening to a lot of Bach, Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, etc just to understand how they did things, incorporate that in my ish, etc...

Honestly I think hip-hop will be over and done with in way less than 100 years.

Speaking of which, anybody here use classical music influences in their hip-hop. I'm listening to a lot of Bach, Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, etc just to understand how they did things, incorporate that in my ish, etc...

Igor Stravinsky.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

Hip hop will be gone in 10 years so i doubt it

do you mean gone as in the dominant genre in music or period?

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Last edited:
Damn. I really can't tell. Interesting topic... As far as personally, I don't think the pioneers of any decade/phase of hip hop should ever be forgotten, from the beginnings through the Krush Groove era, the gangsta rap of the 90s, and even trap music. Music is music... people haven't forgotten rock, country, blues, jazz, classical, etc so why should hip hop be forgotten? Because the ghettoes can relate to it?

There is no way that hip-hop music will last that long. No genre lasts that long. The only reason classical music has lasted that long was because it was being used to to teach students music theory. That is why contemporary classical music also doesn't last long, since only the classic songs (Mozart, Handel, Beethoven ect) are used. And hip-hop is not close to being advanced enough to use for instruction.

Music genres are mostly popular for certain generations. It used to be jazz and blues, then it was rock, then euro pop and hip hop. Now dance and trance has taken over. And general pop music just copies whatever style is popular at the moment (notice that pop singer are no longer singing on hip hop beats as much anymore).

Rock is quickly dying from the mainstream (there has only been one rock song that reached the top 10 in a year and a half). Hip hop will also follow it soon. The only thing that will "save" it is that rappers will start copying general pop artists and rap on the beats of whichever genre is popular at the time.

its already changing.. i made a beat a couple of months back that is a mix between classical and hip hop
SoundClick artist: TeddyB DaPrime - Im just Teddy B.
listen to it. if you ever played the game "assassins creed" i basically took the melody of that song and remade it. (No Sampling)

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

There is no way that hip-hop music will last that long. No genre lasts that long. The only reason classical music has lasted that long was because it was being used to to teach students music theory. That is why contemporary classical music also doesn't last long, since only the classic songs (Mozart, Handel, Beethoven ect) are used. And hip-hop is not close to being advanced enough to use for instruction.

Music genres are mostly popular for certain generations. It used to be jazz and blues, then it was rock, then euro pop and hip hop. Now dance and trance has taken over. And general pop music just copies whatever style is popular at the moment (notice that pop singer are no longer singing on hip hop beats as much anymore).

Rock is quickly dying from the mainstream (there has only been one rock song that reached the top 10 in a year and a half). Hip hop will also follow it soon. The only thing that will "save" it is that rappers will start copying general pop artists and rap on the beats of whichever genre is popular at the time.
^^i cosign that

lol man,mainstream rock has been dead since nirvana. rappers been making pop music to stay relevant for like 5 years already. power and bmf were probably the only real hip hop singles in 2010. it don't mean shit tho,there is so much rock bands making a nice living,touring and selling records,just because they don't sell 3 million records in the first week like lady gaga doesn't mean they are unsuccessful,or that nobody listens to rock anymore.

lol man,mainstream rock has been dead since nirvana. rappers been making pop music to stay relevant for like 5 years already. power and bmf were probably the only real hip hop singles in 2010. it don't mean shit tho,there is so much rock bands making a nice living,touring and selling records,just because they don't sell 3 million records in the first week like lady gaga doesn't mean they are unsuccessful,or that nobody listens to rock anymore.

I can think of many huge mainstream rock hits since Nirvana. The hits started drying up recently. I know there are still people making a good living in rock. The problem is that as the older generation of rock fans are dying, the new ones are not replacing them nearly fast enough. This will cause a GRADUAL decline in rock popularity. It won't happen overnight. This will happen to ALL GENRES. But it will never completely die. No genre ever does.

As for hip-hop, you still have hip-hop beats that sound different from other genres. Drake and Nicki might be commercial, but the beats they rap on are still pretty much hip-hop beats. I'm saying that rap will go the way that pop singers do. Years ago, singing over hip-hop beats was in so all the pop singers did that. Then singing over guitar laden tracks was cool, then kelly clarkson, pink and all the rest did that. Then it was stargate's beats (how many songs sounded like "Irreplaceble"). Now dance songs are in and all pop singers are singing dance songs.

One day, there won't be hip-hop beats. But there will be people rapping over whichever music style is popular at that time.

Hip Hop doesn't have much staying power. I challenge anybody to say they still like Run DMC records.

They are supposed to be raps supergroup.

I love the music but I'm honest about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
hip hop's thing is to be ever evolving. hip hop will be around a thousand years from now, but we just wont recognize it.

In other genres you have guitar solo's, keyboard solo's, vocal riffs, etc.

Even in pop you have dancers and eye candy...

In hip hop you have baseball caps, water bottles and towels...

Sounds bad, I know.... but I remember a DJ doing turntable tricks, people breaking, crazy beatboxing at concerts... all kinds of stuff. An actual show. Dougie Fresh was that dude.

I challenge anybody to say they still like Run DMC records.

hell no but i'll still bump some kurtis blow and furious 5 here and there from that era (don't like the whole rock n roll rap thing run dmc did) that said i rarely listen to any 80s rap.

Back